Star Citizen - Arena...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 03:38 AM
29 Replies, 1,707 Views

Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Tomb Raider - Day One Trailer

Click on the headline to watch the trailer.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Ready for an exceedingly obvious statement? Tomb Raider is out now! Developed by Crystal Dynamics in collaboration with Eidos Montreal, and Published by Square Enix, you can now buy Tomb Raider across the globe. This is an amazing moment for the team, as studio head Darrel Gallagher describes below:

"Creating something truly special is incredibly challenging. You have got to really want it: you have to be passionate; you have to care about it, and you have to dedicate yourself. We have a studio full of talented people who have put their hearts into making this game - this is not just a game on their resume, speak to any one of them, they've been on a journey. We hope that the game we've built will endure and that this is a well deserving renaissance for Lara Croft."
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Taiso
Evil Dead

So, I have played this game for a little while.

It's Lost+Uncharted+cute, innocent, vulnerable Lara Croft.

So far, I feel the game's pretty well designed but it hasn't really grabbed a hold of me.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
randir14
Subscriber

It's a decent enough game on its own, but a shitty Tomb Raider game. I guess the days of having to use your brain in this series are gone.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Saudade
Evil Dead

I would be too if it weren't for all the crashes every 2 minutes of play. Nvidia states they will have new drivers toward the end of the month. That finally pushed me to order a 7970 ghz today. I have not been at all happy with my GTX 680 since I bought it last May. I believe the 600 series is just plagued with way too many issues.
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
davidj.dk
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
I would be too if it weren't for all the crashes every 2 minutes of play. Nvidia states they will have new drivers toward the end of the month. That finally pushed me to order a 7970 ghz today. I have not been at all happy with my GTX 680 since I bought it last May. I believe the 600 series is just plagued with way too many issues.
I just got the Sapphire 7970 GHz edition.. wonderful card.. love it..

I know most people say that AMD/ATi has always had a very bad reputation in regards to their drivers, but I must say that during the last 10-12 years of multiple cards from both vendors, I have had far less pains with AMD/ATi than I have with Nvidia.

And it really started to seriously change after they decided to release new catalysts every month.. unfortunately they dont do that anymore, for whatever reason..

There are still pains mind you.. I just have fewer of them with AMD/ATi (or at least thats how i perceive it).
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
Man that stinks... I've had excellent luck with mine.

I suspect that there are a number of issues w/ these cards. My first one came from EVGA & was a superclocked edition... that thing SUCKED. Just couldn't run stable & would constantly CTD & hard freeze.

I returned it & got a "normal" card. Had zero problems since but I keep an eye on the temperature w/ a fan control app.

As far as the game goes... I've enjoyed it so far for what it is.

The combat seems a bit too easy - but the enemies seem to seek position properly... even if they go down by stepping on their toes.

The exploration is where this game shines - the environments are lush & VERY well put together. Really enjoyed the mountainside town during the storm & then afterwards, coming to it in the daylight was like a completely different experience.

The world feels fleshed out & the story is enough to carry the title forward so far (even if it asks you to meet it halfway sometimes... but hey - so does/did Dr. Who & I go back to Tom Baker). Story is fairly well presented and at a solid pace.

The controls are pretty responsive & aiming w/ the different weapons feels correct (even if the machine gun shoots like a rotating hand driven tumbler pistol). The rolling is a bit weird and at times - but I think I have the hang of it now.

The audio is excellent - sounds are accurate and crisp. The voice acting is solid enough (because of the accents) but a few of them are actually pretty well done. Lara's breathing is a bit annoying. I get that she's tired & worn out & really trying her best here... but the constant "ugh", "oomph", "urrrrg", "nnnnghf"'s are a little annoying. Especially up my ass w/ her is that even when shes idle... there is a part of her audio cycle that sounds like she is breathing the word "no"... however, I am willing to look past this for the rest of the title.

Overall I think the game is pretty fun. I would like a VERY difficult setting where it isn't easy to pickup ammo/arrows constantly... Maybe on playthrough number 2 there will be a community mod to accomplish this.

Worth the day one purchase? Nah, but I am having fun playing it.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Pluvious
Evil Dead

I was ignoring this game completely.. but I happened to click on the 'ad' on my 360's dash board and checked out the making of, screenshots, storyboards and a rather long segment with Geoff which really made me consider giving this one a shot. Looks like a AAA title to me. Graphics sure are purdy.
Pluvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj.dk View Post
I just got the Sapphire 7970 GHz edition.. wonderful card.. love it..

I know most people say that AMD/ATi has always had a very bad reputation in regards to their drivers, but I must say that during the last 10-12 years of multiple cards from both vendors, I have had far less pains with AMD/ATi than I have with Nvidia.

And it really started to seriously change after they decided to release new catalysts every month.. unfortunately they dont do that anymore, for whatever reason..

There are still pains mind you.. I just have fewer of them with AMD/ATi (or at least thats how i perceive it).
That is the same card I just ordered. It was a hard choice between Gigabyte and Sapphire, ended up going for Sapphire.

The main reason I am doing this is because I have sensitive eyes to everything video. It kills it for me when I experience hitching, stuttering, etc. and ever since I installed the GTX 680 I get a lot of it. A lot. Re-installed Win7, drivers, fiddled around with Nvidia settings, you name it. Tired of it. I have never experienced this kind of shit through all the other Nvidia cards I have owned. And putting out the money I did on this system I have, I expected much better performance. Games are playable indeed but you picky gamers and graphic bon vivants would definately understand and see the bizarre hitching I have. Most people would not.

And way to rubbish it in, now I really want to play it
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Mix-Master
Reaper

One thing i have learnt the hard with after many years and going from ati to nvidia and back depending on the generation. Is never get those factory overclocked cards. They can not test all batches, and like cpu;s its a crap-shoot how far you can overclock them. And i dare say gpu's would be more finicky to find a stable overclock with. And dont get me started on the overclockied memory speeds some of the vendors use.
Mix-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #13
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
It's a decent enough game on its own, but a shitty Tomb Raider game. I guess the days of having to use your brain in this series are gone.
Dude TAKE IT BACK FEMINIST-UNCHARTED IS AWESOME. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix-Master View Post
One thing i have learnt the hard with after many years and going from ati to nvidia and back depending on the generation. Is never get those factory overclocked cards. They can not test all batches, and like cpu;s its a crap-shoot how far you can overclock them. And i dare say gpu's would be more finicky to find a stable overclock with. And dont get me started on the overclockied memory speeds some of the vendors use.
And that is one of the many reasons why I never bother to overclock my hardware. It just isn't worth spending hundreds to try and get maybe a 5% increase in frames per second while shortening the lifespan. And the whole idea of $LI/Cro$$fire sounds nice but in the end doesn't even come close to what people believe should happen and that is twice the speed when in reality it is anything but. So I stick to one card.

Fucking Fedex is supposed to show up this afternoon.... if I can get to the damn door before they drive off.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Here.

No prices cuz if you have to ask...

http://poetictech.com/
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Wow - sorry - wrong thread. I need to sleep.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
Rommel
International Playboy

AMD Benefits
Fastest card at each price point it participates in
Best price-performance ratio
Free AAA-games
Best TressFX hair-fucking performance

AMD Negatives
No physX
Crossfire either works or doesn't, depending on game
Doesn't offer a $1K option
V-Sync issues

Nvidia Benefits
Fastest single-chip card
PhysX
Free in game currency
Adaptive V-Sync
SLI best multi-card solution since 3DFX

Nvidia Negatives
Poor price-performance ratio
Voltage adjustment removed in recent drivers
Poor TressFX hair-fucking performance
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
ElektroDragon
1080p Fanboy

This game is.... AWESOME!!! My current GoTY for sure unless Last of Us is better.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
ElektroDragon
1080p Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
No, it's a much better game now that the old school game design is thrown out the window. I played Legend and Underworld, but man those puzzles were mostly a tedious PITA. This new Tomb Raider is waaay better, more like Uncharted. Yes, that's a GOOD thing, IMHO.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Rommel
International Playboy

AMD Benefits
Fastest card at each price point it participates in
Best price-performance ratio
Free AAA-games
Best TressFX hair-fucking performance
BitCoin mining works well for the purchase of .onion related goods and services

AMD Negatives
No physX
Crossfire either works or doesn't, depending on game