Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Uh, no. We already have a winner :P

Now I could go for that too!
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #43
Meeks
Evil Dead

Maybe JJ intends to shoot the movie from a first-person perspective, in which case no actor needed for the role of Gordon.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #44
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Maybe JJ intends to shoot the movie from a first-person perspective, in which case no actor needed for the role of Gordon.
That would be a disaster >_>
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #45
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Sounds nice, but do we really need a Half-Life movie? I mean, just another version of War of the Worlds basically?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #46
Mr. Lake
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
Sounds nice, but do we really need a Half-Life movie? I mean, just another version of War of the Worlds basically?
Is there no conversation in which you can refrain from putting your flaming ineptitude on display? Do you honestly not know what a VASTLY HUGE DIFFERENCE there is between those two universes? Do you think Twilight and Interview With A Vampire are the same movie?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #47
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post
Is there no conversation in which you can refrain from putting your flaming ineptitude on display? Do you honestly not know what a VASTLY HUGE DIFFERENCE there is between those two universes? Do you think Twilight and Interview With A Vampire are the same movie?
Hahaha, there's few things so satisfying as seeing PSP smacked down yet again
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #48
GrinR
Old School

Based on his "mystery box" philosophy, I think Half-Life would be adapted quite well by JJ Abrams. He would maintain that same feeling of uncertainty and layered changes that Half-Life presents to the player, only would be able to also deliver more deeply developed characters at the same time.
GrinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #49
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
That would be a disaster >_>
Doom

That is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #50
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
What in the world can a Half Life movie do that a Half Life game can't do? If the answer is "well you don't have to play it, you can just sit and watch it" then something is really wrong somewhere.
There are quite a few games I'm interested in, but don't feel like investing hours on end to play through the story. I'd much rather sit down and watch a movie about it, assuming the movie is good and true to the source material.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #51
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Doom

That is all.
Doom was a disaster.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #52
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

...That was the point.
Quote:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #53
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Alyx? humina humina.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #54
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Implants in my videogames?
Quote:
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #55
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post
Your questions are so ironic since you indulge in the same thing; you, a guy who claims he's played a game series forever yet knows nothing about it.

OBVIOUSLY the plots, characters, etc. are different but they are both visually just basically alien movies with the same type of design and presentation, very similar. And the general masses will see it at that.

Quote:
Hahaha, there's few things so satisfying as seeing PSP smacked down yet again
And few things are as pathetic as watching someone become a mindless cheerleader against a rival team without engaging that team because he's sore as he knows if he does he will be completely destroyed.

All you do anymore is yell "YAY!" anytime someone bashes me and doesn't bother arguing with me anymore since I exposed you. You really have become pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #56
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
And few things are as pathetic as watching someone become a mindless cheerleader against a rival team without engaging that team because he's sore as he knows if he does he will be completely destroyed.

All you do anymore is yell "YAY!" anytime someone bashes me and doesn't bother arguing with me anymore since I exposed you. You really have become pathetic.
You can keep complaining about it all you want but we're never going to discuss any topic ever again. Because you're an ass. Deal with it.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #57
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
OBVIOUSLY the plots, characters, etc. are different but they are both visually just basically alien movies with the same type of design and presentation, very similar. And the general masses will see it at that.
Sure, they're both alien invasion scenarios, and there is an idea of how an everyman would handle an alien conflict, but that defines a ton of alien movies.

Difference is that War of the Worlds (the newer one) focuses on a single bystander's family and uses impressive cinematography to make the viewer feel like they're right there with the family, experiencing the action first-hand with the actors rather than through the actors. The major theme isn't only about being human in the face of crisis, but also how impossible odds can be defeated by stuff we take completely for granted.

Half-Life is the story of an unexpecting hero whose life has been manipulated to unknown ends by an alien conspiracy. The viewer isn't going to get a bystander perspective no matter how that story is told, by design it'll have to be presented from the perspective of Freeman himself. The theme isn't really about crisis, it's about manipulation and how limited our perception of reality is. The truths we see in Half-Life are never completely true. Not to mention that a fairly large portion of the depicted conflict is with people as opposed to mysterious alien forces, which isn't the case in the other film.

From a storytelling (or cinema-viewing, if you prefer) experience, the two are worlds apart.

To draw a 'compelling' likeness between the two, you'd have to completely ignore plot, setting, characters, themes/purpose, etc. Half-Life has far more in common with Portal than War of the Worlds in terms of major themes. Pretty much the only unifying trait aside from "suddenly, aliens!" is some similarity in HL2's Striders (note that they didn't say they'd base the movie on the second game), and that's not much. Might as well say, "They've already made Super 8 and Independence Day and X-Files and Mars Attacks and Cloverfield and..." until you've listed all the movies one could link into the genre.

Plus, even if people couldn't notice the difference between any movie that involves alien conflict, it's not like those movies do poorly at the box office. "Visually similar" has never stopped Hollywood before.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #58
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
To draw a 'compelling' likeness between the two, you'd have to completely ignore plot, setting, characters, themes/purpose, etc. Half-Life has far more in common with Portal than War of the Worlds in terms of major themes. Pretty much the only unifying trait aside from "suddenly, aliens!" is some similarity in HL2's Striders (note that they didn't say they'd base the movie on the second game), and that's not much. Might as well say, "They've already made Super 8 and Independence Day and X-Files and Mars Attacks and Cloverfield and..." until you've listed all the movies one could link into the genre.

Plus, even if people couldn't notice the difference between any movie that involves alien conflict, it's not like those movies do poorly at the box office. "Visually similar" has never stopped Hollywood before.
Pretty much this. Indie film watcher to the rescue!
Quote:
Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #59
Mr. Lake
Developer

Quote:
Your questions are so ironic since you indulge in the same thing; you, a guy who claims he's played a game series forever yet knows nothing about it.
There's nothing ironic about it. Your very bold claim that I know nothing about your little hobby is bullshit. You're so obviously butthurt about your inability to convince anyone of your ridiculous points of view that you'll hold any trinket of potential doubt over their head like a fucking Scientologist. You don't know what the hell you are talking about, and someone should take your keyboard away before you hurt yourself.

Quote:
Good job avoiding the question that entirely undoes your logic. You of all people should see the real irony in that statement. I'm sure you get Star Wars and Alien confused quite a bit since they're "both visually just alien movies with the same type of design and presentation". You know what, I'll do you one better and break down why these two properties are so different from one another...

War of the Worlds:
  • A hoax account of an alien invasion. Aliens from outer space come to annihilate the planet - lots of big explosions and destruction.
  • There is no real protagonist aside from "Earth". Aliens are the obvious antagonists. There is little to no plot aside from "look at the humans try everything to defeat the invincible aliens".
  • Resolution? Aliens succumb to germs without humanity lifting a finger.
Half-Life:
  • The story of a top secret military testing facility opening a gateway to another dimension in which several alien species are at war with one another, and the government clean-up that is thwarted by the protagonist; Gordon Freeman.
  • There are actual characters in this story; Alex Vance, Barney, Dr. Breen, etc. And who is the G man? We don't know! Mystery!
  • Bad aliens infect and enslave humanity, while good aliens help the human resistance fight the war and free the planet.
  • Resolution? Don't have one yet, but I'll bet a ton of money it's NOT GERMS.
  • Oh, and lets not forget this story has a lot of well-recognized branding to go with it; Gordon's famous face and crowbar, the orange Lambda λ symbol recognized by millions worldwide...
Now, I can forgive YOU for being dumb enough not tell the difference between the two. Seriously though, if you can't concede that from a visual standpoint that these two stories are not like the other then I pity your severe lack of imagination. It's either very sad, or very bad trolling... actually, it's both.

Quote:
...said the sore pathetic loser who just got completely destroyed.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #60
Anenome
Autarchist

Psp, seriously bro, have you read this yet? You are the fucking poster child.

Tags
half-life, j.j. abrams, portal, valve