Last post by VenomUSMC
Today 12:30 PM
25 Replies, 1,288 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

First 40: Neverwinter

Here's a 40 minute gameplay video from the closed beta of Cryptic Studios' Neverwinter MMO.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
vallor
Evil Dead

Is anyone interested enough in this game that they'd waste 40 minutes of their life just watching a video?

Get me a beta invite and I'll give it 40 minutes of my life, but a mediocre quality game doesn't make for much of a spectator sport.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Patera
Dread Lord

Thanks for posting this video. I am heavily tempted to just buy into the beta for access. I hope you have a chance to release another video this weekend. It looks like fun. Cheers!

Patera
Patera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patera View Post
Thanks for posting this video. I am heavily tempted to just buy into the beta for access. I hope you have a chance to release another video this weekend. It looks like fun. Cheers!

Patera
It's not my video but I thought some people here might be interested. As for buying into beta access, I checked into that but I'm not paying 60 bucks to play test their game, especially since it looks like they only do beta weekends.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Patera
Dread Lord

Hey thanks for the reply. I hear you about buying into it for $60.00. $20.00 I could almost stomach but $60.00 for beta testing = get bent. Still though I am hoping this turns out to be slick, either way thanks again for sharing.

Cheers!
Patera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
Nominal
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Is anyone interested enough in this game that they'd waste 40 minutes of their life just watching a video?
Yes, please only show us 20 second videos of cutscenes instead. I mean, pffffft, gameplay? Who the hell wants to see that?
Nominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

An Action/RPG will be a prohibitive model for many gamers who cut their teeth on the EQ-style of most MMOs. While WoW and its clones feature a lot of interactivity, the characters still auto-attack and block. Say what you will about the pejorative nature of "Girl-friend Mode," there is a reason why WoW has such a large female population. The influx of women into hardcore gaming happened after the migration from heavily interactive 3D combat systems such as that found in LoZ:OT and Ninja Gaiden. Now, I am not saying women are incapable of learning it, I am saying they have not been previously exposed en masse and, as such, not learned or ready.

There is another trait with which I take umbrage--the button assigned mentioned at the beginning. Press Shift to block? Shift is a "Tap" key, not a rest key. This is why Half Life used cntrl to crouch and why cntrl is more typical the default alternate-command option in programs: The pinky can rest on it naturally. If Shift is going to be heavily utilized, as suggested by the fighter who needs it for his shield, then it is clear the designers did not put proper thought into the control scheme as a whole. Now, and MMO player worth his or her salt is going to remap things endlessly of course but I find the overall lack of attention in this area worrisome for the title as a whole.

Also, fourth edition. Yuck.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
brandonjclark
Subscriber

That looked boring as hell.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
bean19
Butt Stallion

I only watched 5 minutes, but I definitely want to play it now. It looks great.

Action RPGs are my flavorite!
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
murpes
Evil Dead

I'm interested in this, but all I could see in this video is town and dungeon. Is there a world? You know, something to just wander around in, outside the city? Or is this entirely hub and instance?

Also, what with-a-tail race was he playing?
murpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Korialstrazs
Evil Dead

I find it much easier to rest my pinky on shift than on ctrl, it would work just fine for me.
Korialstrazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Ravijn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpes View Post
I'm interested in this, but all I could see in this video is town and dungeon. Is there a world? You know, something to just wander around in, outside the city? Or is this entirely hub and instance?

Also, what with-a-tail race was he playing?
The race was Tiefling I believe. The one Youtube video I was watching of the beta showed a map of the city and it looked like to the east of that was an area you could explore outside of the city.
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patera View Post
Hey thanks for the reply. I hear you about buying into it for $60.00. $20.00 I could almost stomach but $60.00 for beta testing = get bent. Still though I am hoping this turns out to be slick, either way thanks again for sharing.

Cheers!
The gameplay looked ok.

They are asking to much for what you get before the game is even out. 200 bucks to play as a dark elf WTF? Most F2P games have been asking for alot for not much in return to be a "founder" or whatever. Hawken,Firefall,Mechwarrior and now this for 100-200 bucks I want more than an extra class or race and a beta invite.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
gojira
Evil Dead

Someone needs to tell the guy narrating how to pronounce "harbinger."
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Skunk
Evil Dead

Definitely helped the case for spending a few minutes of my life to try it out as F2P. Reminded me more of Guild Wars than I expected. Hopefully there is some decent customization in the final product.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nominal View Post
Yes, please only show us 20 second videos of cutscenes instead. I mean, pffffft, gameplay? Who the hell wants to see that?
Are you damaged? I never said 20 second CGI. I said 40 minutes was too much time to invest in a game unless I'm playing it and able to determine for myself the quality of the game.

I have better things to do (and 30 games on backlog) to make me want to spend nearly an hour of my life on watching someone else play the game.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Looks boring as shit, same typical themepark MMO with packs of mobs standing around waiting to be taunt pulled into a controlled gang style beating. Meanwhile the next pack of mobs wait their turn like nothing is happening. I'm so tired of this mechanic and they want $60 for beta testing? LOLz

Having said that I think Cryptic did a fine job with CoH and a piss poor job with Champions Online.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
bean19
Butt Stallion

Watched all 40 minutes and I want to see more. I'd love to see other classes play.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Arnold Darkshner
Reaper

Lame, 4E sucks, though I guess it matches standard MMOs well.
Arnold Darkshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Watched all 40 minutes and I want to see more. I'd love to see other classes play.
For the low, low price of $60 you can get into the beta, you've first beta weekend is over so you'd only get two more... lowers the value.

Tags
neverwinter