Today 12:48 PM
1 Replies, 482 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Is that the same way that fan bois tend to prop up people? C'mon, don't descend to tactics like that. It's transparent and childish.

I don't hate Carmack, I just think he's a very good game developer. Engine developer, that's a different story.
You are on the crack rocks. He's tied for #1 or #2 in the world with Tim Sweeney wrt engine development/math skills imo. The number of things he did first, just because he could and wanted to, when others weren't even thinking about it yet, boggles the mind. There are people like Cliffy B that people can debate (their value to technology/gaming or whatnot, I mean), and there are a few untouchables. Carmack is even more important to gaming historically than Miyamoto was imo -- YEAH, I SAID IT, lol.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

"Carmack is even more important to gaming historically than Miyamoto was imo -- YEAH, I SAID IT, lol." -- OK, fine, I admit that I couldn't say that with a straight face/without feeling dirty afterwards. Point is... only a fool would say that someone who's written the many cutting-edge/innovative engines that he has isn't a very good engine developer. K thx.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
Azrael
Subscriber

Rage wasnt that bad, it just wasnt that good. Graphics were gorgeous, engine was solid and shooting mechanics were solid. Somehow though the game just felt incredibly rushed towards the end and ultimately unfininshed. Wonder if that DLC patched things up :/
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
vallor
Subscriber

I thought Rage was a pretty fun game. I would have wished a little more "Borderlands" in the driving and stuff, but I had a pretty good time in the 12 or so hours I spent with it.

It wasn't without it's flaws but I thought it was a pretty solid AA/80% game. Based on id's history, I think we need to stop expecting 90% - 99% rated games from them any more. They were an engine company and have ALWAYS been an engine company. They've never made a game that hasn't been a slave to the engine. Unlike Epic/Crytek/DICE who have made games that are more than the sum of their technological parts.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
lockwoodx
Photobomber

This engine would be perfect for a Decent remake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
zeonxavier
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
This engine would be perfect for a Decent remake.
The team that makes that can simply shut up and take my money.
zeonxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonxavier View Post
The team that makes that can simply shut up and take my money.
Only if they re-release a USB version of the space orb. There was no better way to play Decent (and Freespace, and any other 6 DOF game).

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #28
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Only if they re-release a USB version of the space orb. There was no better way to play Decent (and Freespace, and any other 6 DOF game).

Wait wait wait ... someone used that? It worked!?
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #29
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
"Carmack is even more important to gaming historically than Miyamoto was imo -- YEAH, I SAID IT, lol." -- OK, fine, I admit that I couldn't say that with a straight face/without feeling dirty afterwards. Point is... only a fool would say that someone who's written the many cutting-edge/innovative engines that he has isn't a very good engine developer. K thx.
Oops, I just realized my post said: "I just think he's a very good game developer. Engine developer, that's a different story."

I meant: I just DON'T think he's a very good game developer. Engine developer, that's a different story.

Kind of an important omission. My apologies.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #30
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Oops, I just realized my post said: "I just think he's a very good game developer. Engine developer, that's a different story."

I meant: I just DON'T think he's a very good game developer. Engine developer, that's a different story.

Kind of an important omission. My apologies.
No way too late no takebacks wahhhhh
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #31
shadow763
Tarnished Optimism

Rage was fine until you realized that what you did the first half you were basically going to do the last half. It just got so repetitive which to me equaled boring. Looked great, and had some fun parts, but when I completed it I never wanted to touch it again.

I think Carmack is still relevant and does great stuff. The problem at ID is not with their engines it is with the creative department. What they do with the engines tends to be rather poor as of late. It is possible to make some great things with it, we just don't see that since ID doesn't make them, and their engines are not widely used like they used to be.

Tags
bethesda, id software, rage