Subscriber

Kickstarter game fails with only $28 left until funding goal

Talk about blue balls.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rading-g/posts
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Anenome
Autarchist

Why didn't the dev themselves kick that in? Mebbe they wanted to be a breakout success and weren't. Like one of those KS's who ask for $50k and receive $3m :P
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
spdiscus
Evil Dead

Sounds like it was a last-second surge. They didn't know it was so close until it was too late.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

542 backers. Ask yourself this question... should a game with only 500 backers even get made? I don't think so.

Not every idea is a good idea.

I suspect we are also seeing a bit of Kickstarter burnout. Look at the Penny Arcade Kickstarter. They were hoping to get something in the area of $1.5 Million, they got 500k. That's still significant, until you realize that they had less than 10,000 backers. These are the guys who have like 40,000 people show up to their convention -- including tickets, hotels, air fare, food, ect -- and they couldn't even round up 10,000 people to help them fund their website. That's kinda shitty when you think about it.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Yeah Penny Arcade is pretty shitty these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Why didn't the dev themselves kick that in? Mebbe they wanted to be a breakout success and weren't. Like one of those KS's who ask for $50k and receive $3m :P
Very likely they weren't really interested in making the game unless they were paid for a huge, multi-print success with 95%+ sell through at POS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
542 backers. Ask yourself this question... should a game with only 500 backers even get made? I don't think so.

Not every idea is a good idea.

I suspect we are also seeing a bit of Kickstarter burnout. Look at the Penny Arcade Kickstarter. They were hoping to get something in the area of $1.5 Million, they got 500k. That's still significant, until you realize that they had less than 10,000 backers. These are the guys who have like 40,000 people show up to their convention -- including tickets, hotels, air fare, food, ect -- and they couldn't even round up 10,000 people to help them fund their website. That's kinda shitty when you think about it.
There is burnout, for sure. A few cases of obvious greed, such as games that are nearly finished asking for donations, have also likely poisoned the well. As for Penny Arcade, well, that was the greediest deal of them all. "Pay us and we'll remove one ad per quarter million dollars." You know what, go F-yourself. Come back when you want to launch some content you cannot fund.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

Penny Arcade is already rolling in the dough, it's not really what a kickstarter is for.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Venkman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Sure it should. If each person pledges the amount needed for a copy of the game, the developer gets paid, and everyone gets their game, that's less risk (on the developer's part) than spending 100k of your own money developing a game for iOS for a year and hoping it sells among the massive amount of shit on the iTunes store.

While a game developer may not make huge profits that way, they can at least be paid up front for work they do. In this economy, that ain't bad. it's better than all the VFX and game artists who get routinely screwed by big studios when a release tanks.

Quote:
I suspect we are also seeing a bit of Kickstarter burnout.
You see what you want to see.

Quote:
Look at the Penny Arcade Kickstarter. They were hoping to get something in the area of $1.5 Million, they got 500k. That's still significant, until you realize that they had less than 10,000 backers. These are the guys who have like 40,000 people show up to their convention -- including tickets, hotels, air fare, food, ect -- and they couldn't even round up 10,000 people to help them fund their website. That's kinda shitty when you think about it.
it makes perfect sense if you stop to think about it. They asked people to pay for something they already get for free, for a site that is already funded by advertising revenue, events, and merchandise. I'm surprised they got anything. It was ballsy of them to even ask.

This is not the fault of kickstarter. That falls totally on the PA guys and the people who felt like they owed them money for some reason.

Last edited by Venkman; 12-03-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
brandonjclark
Subscriber

It makes Star Citizen's accomplishment that much more impressive considering the supposedly niche market.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote