Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 09:44 AM
0 Replies, 141 Views
» Promotion

Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Weekend Boxoffice Chart

The Twilight finale and Skyfall continued to dominate the box office on a typically slow post-Thanksgiving weekend that brought big business for holdover films but a poor start for Brad Pitt's new crime story.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of November 30th to December 2nd, 2012.
  1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 $17.4/$254.5
  2. Skyfall $17.0/$246.0
  3. Lincoln $13.5/$83.6
  4. Rise of the Guardians $13.5/$48.9
  5. Life of Pi $12.0/$48.3
  6. Wreck-It Ralph $7.0/$158.2
  7. Killing Them Softly $7.0/$7.0
  8. Red Dawn $6.5/$31.3
  9. Flight $4.5/$81.5
  10. The Collection $3.4/$3.4
  11. Silver Linings Playbook $3.3/$10.9
  12. Anna Karenina $2.2/$4.0
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

Rise of the Guardians sucks.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

No theaters for me until The Hobbit.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Apparently people are getting motion sickness from The Hobbit as it's the first film to be shot with superfast cameras ~ 60fps.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502332
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Squirrelinabox
Squire

Loved Rise of the Guardians. Thought it was better than Wreck-it Ralph (which I did enjoy as well).
Squirrelinabox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelinabox View Post
Loved Rise of the Guardians. Thought it was better than Wreck-it Ralph (which I did enjoy as well).
Both were dick.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Squirrelinabox
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Both were dick.
I'm curious what are some recent animated movies you have enjoyed then? Or is it animated movies in general that you don't like? Because Rise of the Guardians was one of the best I've seen in awhile.
Squirrelinabox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Rafer
Evil Dead

Decided to check out a Bollywood film, Jab Tak Hai Jaan , just for a change of pace. The only other film like that I've seen was Lagaan years ago.

I enjoyed Jab Tak Hai Jaan, even though the plot was contrived and it was odd going from scenes about an Indian bomb technician like the Hurt Locker, to everyone singing and dancing, even though I was expecting that. The scenes of motorcycling through Kashmir look stunning.
Rafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Apparently people are getting motion sickness from The Hobbit as it's the first film to be shot with superfast cameras ~ 60fps.

Inevitable that some would complain. Personally I can't wait. Others can emulate the look of 24fps with digital effects if they really feel the need to for the aesthetics.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
bean19
Butt Stallion

I am about to become an uncle once again and have to be a baby-sitter for a bit as my parents obviously want to be at the hospital a lot of the time too (though my Mom is still doing the heavy-lifting with overnight stuff - thank God). So to those of you who have kids and have already seen Wreck-it Ralph and Rise of the Guardians, which do you think I will hate less?

Also, anything on Netflix for kids that I won't hate? 3 years ago for the last baby I watched all of Avatar with them. Wide age ranges, but for shows I'm worried about if I will like it as wide age ranges means you have to be in the same room - so the little kids get to watch older kid stuff because, you know, fuck Barney and that other unwatchable developmental shit.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Anenome
Autarchist

Haven't seen Guardian, but I -loved- Wreck it Ralph. It has a better written plot than most 'adult' movies even.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

As for Netflix, umm, Adventure Time? I don't even know if it's on there, but it's a kid show you'd like.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
automaton
Evil Dead

Quote:

Those complaints don't sound much like complaints. "It looks too good. I felt sick." What of people like me who feel sick from all the motion blur in the current 24fps cinema? Any time a camera does a wide pan i have to look away. I would LOVE the opportunity to see this movie in 48fps but I doubt we have a theater around here with the technology.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
I am about to become an uncle once again and have to be a baby-sitter for a bit as my parents obviously want to be at the hospital a lot of the time too (though my Mom is still doing the heavy-lifting with overnight stuff - thank God). So to those of you who have kids and have already seen Wreck-it Ralph and Rise of the Guardians, which do you think I will hate less?

Also, anything on Netflix for kids that I won't hate? 3 years ago for the last baby I watched all of Avatar with them. Wide age ranges, but for shows I'm worried about if I will like it as wide age ranges means you have to be in the same room - so the little kids get to watch older kid stuff because, you know, fuck Barney and that other unwatchable developmental shit.
On Netflix they have a Jim Henson show called "The Storyteller" that shouldn't be too scary; puppets and all. Check out an episode or two for yourself just to be sure; they are based on European fables so might be a little darker than I remember.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092383/
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:

About damn time. If you turn on Motion Smoothing (AMP/MotionFlow, etc) for your movies like I do, you get about the same effect on your TV. Some people call it the Soap Opera Effect. I tend to call it, smooth, realistic, judder-free motion, especially if its not faked like it has to be for BlurRays which are 24P normally.

Seriously, do these people get motion sick playing Rage at 60FPS on PC or on consoles?

It is time that 24P limited frame rate, as well as overscan, and other stupid, archaic video/TV limitations from the early 20th century go the way of the dodo.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:
Both were dick.
Some people like dick, especially ladies.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelinabox View Post
I'm curious what are some recent animated movies you have enjoyed then? Or is it animated movies in general that you don't like? Because Rise of the Guardians was one of the best I've seen in awhile.
Discounting re-releases, because comparing the below to Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc. or Beauty and the Beast isn't fair:
  • Brave - Good but lacking the magic of a typical Pixar film
  • Rise of the Guardians - Know what this scene needs? Characters racing past scenery, AGAIN!
  • The Secret World of Arrietty - This should have been brilliant, it very nearly was too. The use of in-between actions (Getting out of a car, rather than just cutting the "Camera") to illustrate the in-between nature of the borrower world was wonderful. Some pacing issues in the middle, however, coupled with dull and lifeless backgrounds holds the film back.
  • Wreck-It Ralph - Wow cool! It's all the cool characters from the trailer. And look, there's Sonic to provide some exposition of the blue! This movie is about video ga--Nope. Nope, this is a film adaptation about the boardgame Candyland. Just Candyland. Ten minutes of interesting, 80 minutes of fucking Candyland.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Nope, this is a film adaptation about the boardgame Candyland. Just Candyland. Ten minutes of interesting, 80 minutes of fucking Candyland.
Sugar Rush was a brilliant design. I'd be surprised if they don't release an actual videogame by that name, sponsored by the filmmakers.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:
coupled with dull and lifeless backgrounds holds the film back.
Shame on you for insulting Ghibli like this. Arietty had awesome art all around. Not dull and lifeless at all.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Sugar Rush was a brilliant design. I'd be surprised if they don't release an actual videogame by that name, sponsored by the filmmakers.
Oh, don't get me wrong. Sugar Rush appeared to be the template for a fine game. Heck, I'd stick my dick in Sugar Rush, swirl it around like the business end of a cotton candy deal at the fair where it'll crush the inhabitants into bloody paste as a meaty, sausage-shaped maul of the gods and emerge a striped, peppermint flavored cane of death and delight. The head alone will appear a spiraled lollipop, to be licked with delight by candy enthusiasts, young and old.

But the viability of Sugar Rush as a game doesn't impact the quality of Wreck-It Sarah Silverman: Candyland Go-Kart Jamboree.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart