Xbox Live Games with...
Last post by Venkman
Today 06:10 PM
1 Replies, 276 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #41
bean19
Butt Stallion

Any list of the best all-time anything is going to be highly subjective, and have obviously missing titles as well as some that will seem suspect when their reasons are not examined.

The fact that NOLF 1&2, Team Fortress 2, and LoZ: Ocarina of Time aren't on the list are big misses. Also, they list every Atari game that wasn't garbage. . . seriously, the only ones missing are River Raid and Ms. Pac-Man (which is sort of Pac-Man, so not needed). However, this tells us something about Time's readership. . . they are old, and a lot of the people voting probably were kids when the Atari was around. I only know these games because I bought one and about 50 games for $20 at a garage sale.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #42
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Any list of the best all-time anything is going to be highly subjective, and have obviously missing titles as well as some that will seem suspect when their reasons are not examined.

The fact that NOLF 1&2, Team Fortress 2, and LoZ: Ocarina of Time aren't on the list are big misses. Also, they list every Atari game that wasn't garbage. . . seriously, the only ones missing are River Raid and Ms. Pac-Man (which is sort of Pac-Man, so not needed). However, this tells us something about Time's readership. . . they are old, and a lot of the people voting probably were kids when the Atari was around. I only know these games because I bought one and about 50 games for $20 at a garage sale.
Agreed, huge over representation of Atari / Arcade titles of that era. At least they skipped the perpetually hyped Yar's Revenge.

Disagree, the NOLF series. Time has not been kind, especially to the second in series, which was half as intricate and a third as funny.

You cannot have a Best Of list without LoZ: OoT. Well you can, but you cannot have a good list. This is a game that transcends its generation, and is typically listed as one of the best games for the systems it is rereleased on. I know I was not the only adult who spent Thanksgiving yelling at one of the children running about that they need to use the Megaton Hammer to reach the boss in the Fire Temple. I mean really, kids these days.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #43
Cutter99
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton View Post
I would have certainly left off:

Wing Commander (Substitute Tie Fighter/X-wing)
No, no, no - that won't do at all. X-wing was almost three years after Wing Commander. If you played Wing Commander back in the day, you still have that flashing-red scramble scene burned into your brain... watching those guys hoof it out to the flight deck... man, what a great game.

X-wing and Tie fighter were fun, and had the music - but Wing Commander is one of the all time greats.
Cutter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #44
Pluvious
Evil Dead

How about ZORK (I-III)
Or Wizardry?
Pluvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #45
Anenome
Autarchist

I'm sure Solitaire on windows has been played more than any other game ever at this point.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #46
Rommel
International Playboy

The original Wing Commander jump started sound on the PC, though it would have migrated eventually if only to compete with console forms of multimedia. Still, it is justifiable to be on the list for that reason alone.

A shame it is the only flight sim on the list. I know some Falcon 4.0 fans who have logged enough hours to actually attack Time's office over a certain omission.

Not. A. Good. List.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #47
Pluvious
Evil Dead

Well what did we expect? Time has no idea what video gaming is about. It's like how Entertainment Weekly hammered Halo 4 as a failure.. they just don't know what they are talking about. Leave the gaming lists to the professionals folks. I don't give mainstream magazines any cred when it comes to our hobby.
Pluvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #48
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

They also missed Lemmings and Mechwarrior.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #49
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
They also missed Lemmings and Mechwarrior.
Lemmings doesn't fit the bill. How many gamer's lives were changed from that experience? Mechwarrior II ... hm, what would you cut for it? Contra I, maybe?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #50
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Lemmings doesn't fit the bill. How many gamer's lives were changed from that experience? Mechwarrior II ... hm, what would you cut for it? Contra I, maybe?
Of course Lemmings counts!!! Changed my life on the Amiga, along with Shadow of the Beast.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #51
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

I don't want to sound biased because I don't know if anyone is in the same boat that I am but there's only one game I can recall ever playing that literally affected me emotionally and stayed with me and that was Silent Hill 2. Where the first one may have ben revolutionary, the 2nd one knocked the concept of psychological horror right out of the park and I believe it should also be on the list.

But again, I think any list that doesn't have SMB3 on it is totally irrelevant, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #52
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
there's only one game I can recall ever playing that literally affected me emotionally and stayed with me and that was Silent Hill 2.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #53
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Was there a point to that?
Quote:
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #54
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
yeah, I fail to see how that related to the comment you made at all.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #55
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
yeah, I fail to see how that related to the comment you made at all.
Rhetorical question. If he's suggesting I'm apathetic just because I don't get emotionally attached to video games, the assertion is ridiculous. If a game is truly realistic and immersing then occasionally I may say, "whoa." But hearing people talk about how emotional it was to see that character who's name I can't remember die in FFVII... I just shake my head. That's just me. If I can't take what I'm seeing as somewhat feasible then I can't get emotional about it. I can't get emotional over talking hedgehogs and people with haircuts that are not even possible in reality, that's just me.

And I'm just speaking of stuff I played. Silent Hill 2 truly made me get in James Sunderland's head and inside his darkest secrets and anguish and made me put all my attention and interest into him and follow him in his descent to hell and to see how it ended (ANY of his "serious" endings were GUTWRENCHING) took an emotional toll on me. The game pulled off the psychological and emotional aspects PERFECTLY while preying on the most basic fears of the people PLAYING the game. Not enough games do that, IMO.
Quote:
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #56
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
The joke is that the character is in Always Sunny is a sociopath, so saying it in reply to you saying that games do not reach you emotionally is him saying that this makes YOU a sociopath. But not really, because it's a joke.

You really didn't get that?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #57
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Aeris was her name in FF7 and I agree. When it first happened. I was shocked, because I wasn't expecting that, but after that I was like, "holy shit, fuck yeah that was pretty awesome". I never got attached to her. I actually thought she was quite annoying most of the game. So I was actually quite happy to see her out of my party.

I felt she was bogging me down at times. Plus the date part of that game. BRUTAL.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #58
bean19
Butt Stallion

I liked that Aeris was a really good healer and I was surprised that she got killed and even more surprised that you never got to rez her. Also, I didn't understand why you had resurrection spells but Aeris was somehow SUPER dead.

FFVII came out when I was about 10 or so too. I've replayed it later in life and I still found the plot hard to follow. They do the amateur writer thing where they withhold exposition from the audience because they make the mistake of thinking that this creates mystery (go read a good mystery writer and you'll see that the opposite is true. They give you tons of exposition that solves some questions, gives clues but doesn't answer some, and also creates new questions. . . it's an intricate tapestry vs. a big fucking plot hole). . . and it's not that the Japanese culture makes the writing strange or hard to understand. There is absolutely wonderful anime fiction that is paced beautifully and doesn't fail to understand exposition. The problem is that they had engineers writing stories and people gushing over the games because, honestly, they were the only show in town.

Having said that, for it's time period, FF VII was a standout.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #59
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Yeah, she was a good healer, but in a game like that, anyone virtually could be if you placed the Materia correctly. I think for most of my games, I played with Red, Cloud, Barrett, and Tifa. Those were my 4 go to people. I never used Vincent, Yuffie, Cid, Cait Sith. I just didn't care for their limit Breaks.

I never enjoyed losing control of a character so Vincent was out. Yuffie could have been stabbed by Sephirtoh as well for all I care. Cid was acquired way too late for me to consider building him up. At the point of acquiring him, I had most Limit Breaks to Lvl 3. And Cait Sith, was always a gamble.

Per the writing, for that game at that time, was amazing. I just wish they would get back to that. I mean the last great FF game was 10. There was a lot of aspects in 12 I enjoyed like the monster hunts, but 13 was totally lost on me. I dont think I will be picking up 13-3 just because 13 was such a joke, but not as big of a joke as 13-2.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #60
lockwoodx
Photobomber

It could have been a grocery list and you rabble would have bitched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100 best of all time, derailed yet again., gameology, gaming canon, poop > me3, time magazine