Today 08:17 AM
66 Replies, 2,167 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #21
Sobran
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
You PC gamers remember installing games way differently than I do. For quite some time now all I've done is:
1- put disc in drive
2- click install
repeat 1 as needed for additional discs
3- play game.

I haven't had to edit files or run with special properties, or change my computer configuration settings to run a game since XP came out, and that was almost 11 years ago now. I don't even remember doing it much for 98 either.
That's because editing autoexec.bat and config.sys files predates Windows 95. Good ol' DOS prompt. In some games, you had to have a boot disk to go straight to DOS because if you let your computer boot into Windows 3.1 the computer wouldn't have enough memory left for the game.

Windows 95 was a nightmare. Games still sometimes required that kind of shit, but Windows 95 made it more difficult to accomplish at times.

Things got easier with Windows 98, but things were still difficult. For example, if I didn't use the /exact/ right video driver when playing Morrowind (not the newest driver, mind you), my video card would inexplicably overheat and hard lock my system. Awesome.

A lot of games developed during the transition from 95 to 98 (we're talking a three or four year process, so it was a lot of games) experienced a whole slew of other problems. That's where the Compatability Mode shit came in. Sometimes that could be a nightmare that required a fucking walkthrough to get it working properly.

So no. Dropping in a disc and being able to "just play" is a pretty new phenomenon as I measure time. Granted, it's been like this for three or four years at least, but I attribute a /large/ portion of that to Windows Vista doing away with legacy drivers (which were still a nightmare in Windows XP btw) and Steam obviating the need for manual patching. And three or four years is a drop in a the bucket compared to the 15+ years I've been fucking with my computer to make it run whatever fucking thing the box claims it is capable of.
Sobran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #22
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Blizzard has been having to clarify a lot of stuff as of late. If this was the 50s, they would have a podium pretty much set up in the front of their building and are calling the press everyday with a time. Granted they would later have to clarify that time just to be safe.

As for the AH, someone in a previous forum said they are just capitalizing on something we as gamers already did, which was buy items for real money, but I am sorry. You just flagged your game to be the most hacked, the most pirated, the most bot filled game EVER. You are allowing real money transactions to take place in your game. What screams hey hackers come here and take my money.

This was the absolute worst idea.

Blizzard you would have been better off having Snooki be Diablo and shipping the game as such than this mess.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
Zurik
Evil Dead

I think the AH pretty much broke this game. Loot drops matter very little when you can just shop and do four to five times the damage. There's no incentive to play Diablo 3 like Diablo 2, not unless you want to purposely cripple yourself. Maybe it somehow solved an issue from the other games where people were illegally selling things, but playing with my friends on a LAN I never saw it.
Zurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
Zane
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
Eh? If you are talking about console game it would make sense, but PC?

AHahaHAhHA
I don't know what kind of janky computers you guys have but most PC games since the late 90's has been install and go with the only pre-reqs being DirectX. The only time I've had issues installing/running a PC game is when the game is several years old (generally 6+ years) and doesn't work well on newer OSes and those are few and far between.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #25
Zane
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobran View Post
That's because editing autoexec.bat and config.sys files predates Windows 95. Good ol' DOS prompt. In some games, you had to have a boot disk to go straight to DOS because if you let your computer boot into Windows 3.1 the computer wouldn't have enough memory left for the game.
<snip>
Yeah, but a couple people here are talking like this is the current (or recent) state of PC gaming and it hasn't been that way for well over a decade.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi View Post
blizzard is a shitty and greedy company. with the last patch they nerfed the game so ppl without very very rare stats-combo items won‘t stand a chance in inferno.
IAS on normal items is cut down by 50%!!!! lol, just taking 1/3 of the dmg out that you normaly do. they just realized ppl are doing good progress with inferno and nerfed the fuck out of them to keep only 10% of the players at the top, so rare items wont drop in value.

D3 is fun, untill inferno hits you hard. oh and good luck farming something usefull in hell-act3/4. to even try inferno you need a weap. with min. 1k dmg (preferabl 1h). good luck finding one of those in hell. its WAYYYYYYYY better if you farm your 4-5mio gold and buy yourself on from the AH or just pay real money for it (that‘s where the $$$ comes in for blizzard, greedy fucks). to farm 5mio. you need like 12 hourse play-time with ok gold-finding equip on hell, any some selling on the AH.
Nonsense. RMAH and GAH prices have been falling steadily since Inferno was made easier (and since ilvl 60-63 items drop more often). Go figure.

The mass dependency on IAS is exactly why blizzard nerfed IAS. It was THE stat the have. It was so valuable, that it made every other stat (and play method - Fast Attack, High Life on Hit) vastly inferior.

As far as the RMAH goes, you could get away with never spending a goddamn dime, and make money doing it (not much, but more than 0).
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
DarkDaY
Evil Dead

The simple fact that there is this much disscussion every where on the net, most negative about a game that took 10 years to make with the pedigree it once had should say enough. Diablo 3 is dead to me, now if they nerf D2 ill hunt them down.
DarkDaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #28
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagetaka View Post
As far as the RMAH goes, you could get away with never spending a goddamn dime, and make money doing it (not much, but more than 0).
My friend's wife managed to rake in $700 over the course of a single weekend; granted, she spent a good chunk of it farming for items...but $700 is nothing to turn your nose up to.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane View Post
Yeah, but a couple people here are talking like this is the current (or recent) state of PC gaming and it hasn't been that way for well over a decade.
Doing things to get programs running is still a problem. User Account Controls anyone?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #30
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
My friend's wife managed to rake in $700 over the course of a single weekend; granted, she spent a good chunk of it farming for items...but $700 is nothing to turn your nose up to.
Yeah, it's called churn.

Ideally, each player churns gigantic numbers and never sees a single dollar of actual profit taken out of the system.

It's much the way that Vegas works, just tip the odds slightly in favor of the house and let win and loss numbers for players just about balance out equally.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #31
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Yeah, it's called churn.

Ideally, each player churns gigantic numbers and never sees a single dollar of actual profit taken out of the system.

It's much the way that Vegas works, just tip the odds slightly in favor of the house and let win and loss numbers for players just about balance out equally.
I churn girlfriends much in the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #32
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
As for the AH, someone in a previous forum said they are just capitalizing on something we as gamers already did, which was buy items for real money, but I am sorry. You just flagged your game to be the most hacked, the most pirated, the most bot filled game EVER. You are allowing real money transactions to take place in your game. What screams hey hackers come here and take my money.
By your reasoning -- Banks shouldn't be built because by concentrating money in one particular location they have just FLAGGED themselves to be hacked, robbed, or used in a fraud. Consequently, its their own fault for inviting trouble.

I guess PayPal is better off only using a password, because adding authenticator type of system to their website login would just flag them to be hacked.

Why is Blizzard going to be more taken advantage of then an actual financial institution?
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #33
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Yeah, it's called churn.

I think you may have misunderstood me; she spent a good chunk of the weekend farming for items.
She now has $700 extra in her bank account she didn't have prior to that weekend.

There's no churn involved; she made pure profit.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #34
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I think you may have misunderstood me; she spent a good chunk of the weekend farming for items.
She now has $700 extra in her bank account she didn't have prior to that weekend.

There's no churn involved; she made pure profit.
Yep, misunderstood you. Your comment makes more sense now ^_^
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, blizzard entertainment, diabarrghroharrgh, diablo 3, diablo iii