Last post by Anenome
Yesterday 08:39 PM
12 Replies, 1,168 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
vallor
Evil Dead

Tencent Acquires a Minority Stake in Epic Games, Inc

It was announced today that the Chinese company "Tencent" would be acquiring a minority stake in Epic Games.

From gamesindustry.biz
Quote:
Chinese internet and mobile operator Tencent has acquired a minority stake in Unreal Engine maker Epic Games.

Epic has said it will continue to operate independently and continue to expand its game franchise across multiple platforms. Terms of the deal were not disclosed and it is expected to close within one month.
This is the same company that has made investments in Crytek and Riot and, as the article mentions, eventually full out buying Riot for $400m after using the same tactic of minority investor. Any bets on how long it will be before Mark Rein and Mike Capps send out their retirement announcements?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Asian companies buying American, one piece at a time.

Welcome to the genuine irony that is capitalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Meeks
Evil Dead

"Tencent has joined foces with majority owner, hip-hop mogul Fifty Cent, to form interactive media conglomerate '60 Cent Games'. Pricing for the group's titles is yet to be determined."
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
gravlax
Evil Dead

Riot(founded by mainly ex-Blizzard folks like how arena.net was formed and bought out by Asian company) was a start-up with not so much capital to begin with, where as Epic's been around and still 1 of the most successful independent studios. I don't see much similarity there or in Epic's future.
gravlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Samstag
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post

Reminds me of the 80's, when Japanese companies were buying up every struggling American entertainment company and the end of the American Way was at hand.
Samstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Almost guaranteed to be run by Chinese communist party members...
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstag View Post
Reminds me of the 80's, when Japanese companies were buying up every struggling American entertainment company and the end of the American Way was at hand.
That thought had crossed my mind until you realize the Japanese wanted to be like us, not. Now if Tawain bought up all of our jobs and shit this would be a different story. It's a shame the brits had to give it back.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Samstag
Evil Dead

Quote:
That thought had crossed my mind until you realize the Japanese wanted to be like us, not. Now if Tawain bought up all of our jobs and shit this would be a different story. It's a shame the brits had to give it back.
You're thinking of Hong Kong, and that's a pretty good example of how Chinese ownership doesn't change capitalism. They understand it better than a lot of western countries (Hi Greece!) which is why they've left HK alone.
Samstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravlax View Post
Riot(founded by mainly ex-Blizzard folks like how arena.net was formed and bought out by Asian company) was a start-up with not so much capital to begin with, where as Epic's been around and still 1 of the most successful independent studios. I don't see much similarity there or in Epic's future.
BTW, Riot was doing plenty well before the investment; if they were "struggling" they wouldn't have warranted the $400m price tag. Besides, I'm not saying their failing at all, just that now Mark and Mike (and Tim) can take their big paychecks and never have to work again. As if that was a problem before, but now it's even LESS of a problem
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
greenapple
Evil Dead

Quote:

Either you don't understand "irony" or you don't understand "capitalism", maybe both.

There's nothing ironic about being bought out, by anyone, under a capitalist system. If you mean "company from a communist country", that might make a little bit more sense. But, everyone knows that China isn't a pure communist system (anymore than we are a pure capitalist system), as proven by the very existence of private companies like this one.

America does not own the concept of capitalism and being bought-out is one of the best ways to make a profit, which is at the heart of capitalism.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Either you don't understand "irony" or you don't understand "capitalism", maybe both.

There's nothing ironic about being bought out, by anyone, under a capitalist system. If you mean "company from a communist country", that might make a little bit more sense. But, everyone knows that China isn't a pure communist system (anymore than we are a pure capitalist system), as proven by the very existence of private companies like this one.

America does not own the concept of capitalism and being bought-out is one of the best ways to make a profit, which is at the heart of capitalism.
lawl

10chars
Quote: