Last post by Phoenix1985
Yesterday 11:17 PM
4 Replies, 461 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

BioWare "Looking Into" Free-to-Play Old Republic

GameSpot is reporting that Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead designer Emmanuel Lusinchi has indicated Bioware is "looking into" dropping the subscription fee in favor of a free-to-play business model.

Quote:
BioWare is examining the possibility of making its massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic a free-to-play title. Speaking to GamesTM, lead designer Emmanuel Lusinchi explained that the MMO space is constantly evolving and BioWare must adapt to the changes.

"The MMO market is very dynamic and we need to be dynamic as well," Lusinchi said. "Unless people are happy with what they have, they are constantly demanding updates, new modes, and situations. So we are looking at free-to-play, but I can't tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on."

Lusinchi went on to note his belief that free-to-play games are elevating in quality, becoming genuine competition. This competition, he said, is driving BioWare to consider its options moving forward.

"If it was just free-to-play games and they weren't very good it wouldn't even be a question but there are definitely good games out there and good games coming out, so of course all of this competition impacts your plan with what you want to do," he said.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
is that like a speed record from subscription to free-to-play? either way, curious to try out the game, if only for the story.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
RoflusPrime
Dread Lord

I had some fun with The Old Republic, but I didn't get past the late 20's early 30's.

The main problem was that what Bioware wanted to do with an MMO simply can't be done with the standard MMO mechanics. If you want the storyline, settings, and RPG choices to be the main drawing point of the game, then you have to make the player feel like their choices really did something and that simply doesn't work when dozens of players are all doing the exact same quests in the exact same map.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Jetherik
Editor in Chief

I enjoyed the story aspect - but as Roflusprime said, the choices you make has to make a difference. And, scale the mobs. So boring to go fight a mob when you are 24 and the mob is only 21. And, more starting locations... And...
Old 06-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Cygnus
Evil Dead

Heh another failed MMO
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

It didn't take long for EA to destroy BioWare...

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
Heh another failed MMO
Yeah, how about not wasting time, talent, and money on the MMO market altogether.

I swear all MMOs look and play the same at this point. They all seem to have dozens of tiny confusing icons all over the place, and of course, a graphics engine that looks 5 years old at launch.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

Another failed STAR WARS MMO. When will they learn? Maybe they'll relaunch this second failed version, and the meager fanbase will complain the new version is also terrible?
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Yeah, how about not wasting time, talent, and money on the MMO market altogether.

I swear all MMOs look and play the same at this point. They all seem to have dozens of tiny confusing icons all over the place, and of course, a graphics engine that looks 5 years old at launch.
GW2 might surprise you. Top notch graphics and only 10 buttons (though a large variety of possible load-outs).

I've played the last two beta weekends and it's left me wanting more both times. We'll see about The Secret World this weekend...
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
ElfShotTheFood
Evil Dead

Should have made Knights of the Old Republic III instead.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Doctorossi
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfShotTheFood View Post
Should have made Knights of the Old Republic III instead.
^
|

This.
Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

Ah, the trial balloons begin. Excellent.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
vallor
Evil Dead

They collapsed early with their trial weekends. This is no surprise and a lot of people called it before the end of January.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
LostToys
Evil Dead

I'd happily return if it was free to play. I still have a Sith Sorcerer I want to see the ending for, then there is the entire Republic side I never saw.

The story was definitely interesting, but the game itself was pretty bland. They should really just take this game offline and call it Knights of the Old Republic III. I'd even buy it again... at full price. *opens wallet*
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Anenome
Autarchist

I'd give this a play if it was F2P, simply because I refuse to give my money on a monthly basis. But, I have often put cash into a F2P game also.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
kwolf
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I'd happily return if it was free to play. I still have a Sith Sorcerer I want to see the ending for ...
Even at free, it's a waste of time. The SS story completely falls apart at the end.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf View Post
Even at free, it's a waste of time. The SS story completely falls apart at the end.
I got turned off on the story in SWTOR. At first it's great, leveling is one of the strong features it had that didn't make typical mmo questing boring. But as a Smuggler, my storyline got so old so fast. If you haven't played a Smuggler, you basically chase this dude that backstabbed you from planet to planet, and at least early on you are constantly "one step behind" him. i.e. when you get a planet he's at, he's already moved onto the next one.

Maybe that evens out in the last 30 levels or so, I think I made it to about level 24 but the personal story just got repetitive for me.

I did however have a lot of fun with friends doing the dungeons (flashpoints), and the pvp was pretty epic especially in Huttball but the lack of endgame content, the unbalanced pvp at launch, it just didnt hold my interest (and the game ran poorly for me as well) so I didnt really continue after my first free month, even my friends stopped around then as well.

It has potential but I think by the time they tap that well, their 2 million subs (give or take, rounded up from 1.7) will have dwindled.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
LostToys
Evil Dead

That is sad to hear, but if I have the opportunity, I would be willing to put in the off hours to get to the "end game" with her.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
Reverend Meta
Evil Dead

From the free weekends, I can vouch that the first 20 levels or so are definitely worth playing with a couple of different character classes if you are a fan of Star Wars & KotoR.

F2P seems exactly like what this game needs, along with some fresh and interesting endgame content.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Meta View Post
From the free weekends, I can vouch that the first 20 levels or so are definitely worth playing with a couple of different character classes if you are a fan of Star Wars & KotoR.

F2P seems exactly like what this game needs, along with some fresh and interesting endgame content.
Don't forget fair and balanced (or rebalanced, as the case may be) PVP.

The PVP was the most horrid thing I ever saw, particularly after every Empire player and their new exploited the living fuck out of illum. Republic didn't stand a chance in level 50 PVP on most servers (since most servers are unbalanced in favor of the Empire) after that debacle. Free Battlemaster FTW!

Tags
bioware, electronic arts, lucasarts, star wars, the old republic