Final Fantasy XV Trailer
Last post by ashikenshin
Today 03:45 PM
56 Replies, 3,382 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #41
Earth Djinn
Evil Dead

It seems that a lot of people in here are misinterpreting what he meant.

Frankly I agree with him, as the SR series never appealed to me, but I understood it's appeal (for the most part, but a lot of it just seems overly crass for the sake of shock value).
Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

OMFG I'm glad I sold my THQ stock yesterday, this guy is a freaking moron if he thinks 4 million is embarrassing. You don't motivate developers by insulting them.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #43
Scramble
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyfps View Post
I don't care to read apologetic dumb-fun-needs-it-place-in-the-sun arguments, either; We're already wading tits-deep through an ocean of dumb fun and a miasma of lowbrow as far as the eye can see.
sixtyfps, that was beautiful.
R.I.P Xbox 360#1. 6/9/07

PS3 Network:Pocklegreuse
Scramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #44
Scramble
Evil Dead

Saint's Row 3 COULD have been THQ's interesting something this past year, but it was just the "give the fanboys what they want" game, much like Max Payne 3 has been. Sure it'll make you some dollars, but it's not something to build off and not really anything to be proud of.
R.I.P Xbox 360#1. 6/9/07

PS3 Network:Pocklegreuse
Scramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #45
Rommel
International Playboy

A lot of you are missing the point. Rubin may very well think SR:3rd is the best game ever, but he has just taken over a financially strapped company. His job is to walk the halls, call everything shit, break up the cliches, fire the ingrained and change every last bit of culture he can find in an attempt to kill the cancer of the place while simultaneously bringing in the new system and personnel expected. This is why new bosses are stressful at every company in the world.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #46
Metal Khaos
Evil Dead

Because every game has to be a Red Dead or Skyrim.
Metal Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #47
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

God damn it... IF he messes up Saints Row, I will be hating him forever. That game was so freaking brilliant on so many levels. If he doesn't get the joke, don't mess with it.

BTW, how is 4 million sold embarrassing?

I cannot convey how enjoyable of an experience this game was.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #48
RoflusPrime
Dread Lord

I really enjoyed Saints Row 3, in fact I'm still enjoying it going through co-op with a friend of mine.

That said, this game could have been even more enjoyable with a little more depth, and possibly moving some of the more over-the-top and extremely silly aspects out of the main storyline/gameplay and keeping them for bonus activities and optional sideline material.

While I would have also loved more side-stuff such as managing territories properties, additional activities, and maybe co-op with more than 2 players (even if it was limited to non-storyline stuff) I have to say that I feel I have already gotten my money's worth from this title, so I can 't really complain. Just hoping for more from the next title.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #49
Ravenus
Subscriber

I can tell by reading these posts that most of the people commenting here have not played Saint's Row the Third. I agree the first 2 were mediocre at best but SR3 was insanely fun. It's honestly one of the first games in a long time that I played all the way through and the kept on wanting more. It also had enough content to call it a game, while wanting to make me buy DLC and not being pissed about it! In fact, I whole-heartedly opened my wallet to buy a Season Pass! I understand this guy is there to mix things up, but how about you actually play the game you're trashing instead of just watching a couple "immature" clips and making a judgement on one of the only money makers that THQ has. As for the readers, PLAY THIS GAME! It seriously is a spectacular game, and if you do play it get through the first major mission and it rolls along at a great rate!
Ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #50
Whimbrel
Subhuman

Which made more, Skyrim or Skylanders?

I'm thinking he should be thinking about making the next Skylanders.
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #51
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimbrel View Post

I'm thinking he should be thinking about making the next Skylanders.
THQ isn't exactly in a position to transition into a company that can make both a game AND a bunch of little plastic toys to go with that game. That takes the kind of money a Call of Duty will generate, not the kind of money a Saint's Row The Third generated.

Rubin does need to come in and shake things up. Volition shouldn't be cranking out sequels to a C+ quality game, they have the talent to make a AAA franchise, but they didn't have any executive staff that was pushing them to do anything more than slightly update a bad GTA rip-off because it was the only franchise they had that was making any money.

Look at where the company has been going... Homefront was a failure, so they are making a sequel. Darksiders was a failure so they are making a sequel. Metro 2033 was a failure so they are making a sequel.

See something wrong with that picture? Even if Saint's Row was semi-successful, the company as a whole was spinning out sequels to games that had previously failed. That's complete idiocy on the highest level.

When Homefront 2, Darksiders 2 & Metro 2033 all fail, where will the THQ stock be then? De-Listed.

They need to get their shit together and fast.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #52
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimbrel View Post
Next game, Skyrow?
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #53
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Next game, Skyrow?
Skyrimlanders.

It would print money. Seriously.

I think a game like Skylanders that is targeted at geeks with the toys made by someone like McFarlane toys would be a huge seller. It would be a Fantasy/D&D game only you can play as anything -- Monsters, Knights, Wizards, Dragons, Beholders, etc... whatever you put on the platform.

It prints money hats.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #54
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Skyrimlanders.

It would print money. Seriously.

I think a game like Skylanders that is targeted at geeks with the toys made by someone like McFarlane toys would be a huge seller. It would be a Fantasy/D&D game only you can play as anything -- Monsters, Knights, Wizards, Dragons, Beholders, etc... whatever you put on the platform.

It prints money hats.
Follow the Magic: TG-model, make the game playable online and in person. Use a heroclix model where the player has a working toy to interact with the screen, and make it multi-platform with the Wii-U, Kinect and Eyetoy.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #55
vallor
Subscriber

After UDraw I doubt THQ is going to be interested in jumping back to a physical device(s) to save them.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #56
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

The embarrassing thing is that the purple dildo [as a weapon] was stolen directly from GTA.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #57
Windsong
Evil Dead

Um...Skyrim?! Doesnt he realize how long it takes to make a game like Skyrim? YEARS. And unless you've been designing RPGs for years as well, your first product will probably flop.

Talk about apples and oranges.
Windsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #58
TeeCakes
Nega Gamer

Smart boss. There should be more people in the industry that challenge devs to stop resting on their past laurels and come up with something innovative for once. The guy is clearly not gonna settle for '3rd place' behind Skyrim and GTA franchises that he thinks the team can overcome.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #59
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCakes View Post
Smart boss. There should be more people in the industry that challenge devs to stop resting on their past laurels and come up with something innovative for once.
Are you crazy?? It is usually upper management like him that wants "safe" sequels over and over again while the devs are the ones sick and tired of it and chomping at the bit to make new IP. Do you think anyone really LIKES making almost the same game for years and years on end?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #60
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecakes
Smart boss. There should be more people in the industry that challenge devs to stop resting on their past laurels and come up with something innovative for once. The guy is clearly not gonna settle for '3rd place' behind Skyrim and GTA franchises that he thinks the team can overcome.
He's smart if it works. He's dumb if it equals less popular titles. Time will tell and but he'll either be a hero or sent to the slaughter house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx
Steam has always been 100% voluntary. Origin.... not so much.
VenomUSMC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
saints row the third, thq