27 Replies, 1,623 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
Reverend Meta
Evil Dead

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
Then what the hell is the point in using real money for this?
I believe you answered your own question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
So the only people to actually make money on the AH are Blizzard?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausFlouride View Post
This is so fuckin' bothersome you have no idea. If I take my laptop to work Steam see's me on a different network and makes me re-authenticate.
Really? Check your settings on that. Mine did that a couple times when the system first went online, but now it recognizes the machine itself, so I can move it around networks and not have to re-authenticate every time. I didn't even have to re-authenticate when I brought my computer to Europe.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 AM   #23
Strider
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UttiniDaKilrJawa View Post
Had an authenticator for quite a while now.
Nice to know the account is more secure than most friends I've seen get hacked.

Still don't give a rats a$$ about RMAH tho.
You are aware, that some hacks were SQL Injections server-side having nothing to do with user authentication at all, are you?!
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #24
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

RMAH is the single dumbest thing to ever be introduced into gaming. Especially in such a high profile game. Once live, hackers are going to go nuts between stealing accounts/characters to over populating the AH.

RMAH is going to be the thing that ultimately kills Diablo 3. I give them a few weeks after it launches until they pull it from the game.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #25
phantomhitman
Evil Dead

I am kind of locked down at work so someone help me out here. I thought you could transfer the money out just the same as you transferred it in?

yeah you can get the money out

If you’re auctioning your item in the real-money auction house, use the drop-down to choose how to receive the proceeds of your auction if it succeeds. Choosing Battle.net Balance will send the proceeds to Battle.net Balance on your Battle.net account, to be used on future real-money auction house purchases or select Blizzard Entertainment™ digital products on Battle.net. In certain regions, if a PayPal™ account is linked to your Battle.net account and you’ve enabled SMS Protect on your Battle.net account (see below), you can have the proceeds sent to your PayPal account (a 15% transfer fee applies if you choose this method, calculated based on the amount being transferred). For further details, check out the FAQ.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
Verocity
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
You are aware, that some hacks were SQL Injections server-side having nothing to do with user authentication at all, are you?!
I'm going say, you are wrong.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149181449
Verocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #27
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
I'm so unhappy with what they did with Diablo 3 that I can't articulate it without spewing profanity. The RMAH is just a way to make money off of a horribly unfun difficulty curve designed specifically not to be any fun.

Fuck them.
RMAH is suck. That we can agree on.

But I've had some of the most fun I've ever had with the Diablo series in quite some time since hitting inferno. Yes - I die often. Yes - I had to grind a lot (100 hours with the same character) to get the gear required to attempt Act 2 and 3 (and eventually 4). But, with well thought out character builds, and a good injection of skill/tactics (im going through it in a 2 man group), it's deliciously difficult.

Why does everyone want everything handed to them so easily? Do you really want to pay 60 dollars for a game to beat it in a few weeks?
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Players and news sites speculated this, but was it ever confirmed? I'm just saying anecdotal evidence is always thrown around. The PSP was supposed to crush the DS based on "hard proof". But we all know that was wishful thinking now don't we?
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #29
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomhitman View Post
I am kind of locked down at work so someone help me out here. I thought you could transfer the money out just the same as you transferred it in?
The FAQ I used for my info is found here: Battle.net Balance FAQ

Specifically the question asked is, "Can I convert my Battle.net Balance into cash?"

Quote:
Any amount you add to your Battle.net Balance, either through an approved payment method or by adding Diablo III auction house earnings to your Battle.net Balance, will not be refundable (except as otherwise provided by law), and you are not able to convert that Balance into cash.
It looks like the FAQ that you are quoting is this: Diablo III Auction House General Information

Specifically, question number 10: "How do players get “cash” from real-money auction house sales, instead of having the proceeds go into their Battle.net Balance?"

The difference between the two seems to be that:

Quote:
In certain regions, players will have the option of attaching an account with an approved third-party payment service such as PayPal to their Battle.net account.
That is winning auctions will immediately deposit proceeds, minus fees, directly into your paypal account, as opposed to, your Battle.net Balance. Therefore any hacking would have to be hacking of your pay pal account. Not Blizzards authenticator.

Please correct me where I am wrong but I believe my point still stands. There is no advantage to "Hacking" an authenticated account. Said hacker gets no actual $$$ unless they hack PayPal itself or the actual financial institution.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
phantomhitman
Evil Dead

I see your point clearly but I think anyone that hacks an authenticated account will have easy access to your paypal as well (why go through the tedious actions needed to get around authentication and not be able to keylog your paypal?). If they get into your account, even if you dont have one linked, they can then attach whatever paypal account they want to and just transfer the cash out.
I dont think, and hope, that hackers will go this far. But then again I have seen worse.

ninja edit for my own clarification
For a $10 item Blizz gets $1 listing fee up front, %15 of sale (another $1.50), and then a %15 transfer free ($1.50). So $4 for a $10 item? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #31
phantomhitman
Evil Dead

double post combo breaker

I just found our answer 31.
Players must choose which method they wish to use prior to posting an auction, on a per-auction basis.
So when you post an item you choose where the cash goes. If it goes to your bnet then it is there forever. If it is paypal then you can cash out. You have to set a limit for your bnet account and if it hits that limit it defaults to a paypal account.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #32
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
double post combo breaker

I just found our answer 31.
Players must choose which method they wish to use prior to posting an auction, on a per-auction basis.
So when you post an item you choose where the cash goes. If it goes to your bnet then it is there forever. If it is paypal then you can cash out. You have to set a limit for your bnet account and if it hits that limit it defaults to a paypal account.
The operative words are "in certain regions". If you aren't covered by one of those regions that require the ability to cash out then enjoy your 15th copy of WoW.

Quote:
USD Auction House – Battle.net Balance and PayPal
MXN Auction House – Battle.net Balance and PayPal
AUD Auction House - Battle.net Balance and PayPal
BRL Auction House - Battle.net Balance only
CLP Auction House - Battle.net Balance only
ARS Auction House - Battle.net Balance only

Europe Game Region
EUR Auction House - Battle.net Balance and PayPal
GBP Auction House - Battle.net Balance and PayPal
RUB Auction House - Battle.net Balance only

Asia Game Region
TWD Auction House – Real-money auction house not available at launch
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #33
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
I see your point clearly but I think anyone that hacks an authenticated account will have easy access to your paypal as well
Have you done transactions on sites that accept PayPal? When you want to make a purchase using PayPal -- you have to login to PayPals website to approve the charge.

Again, the "hacker" will want to sniff your PayPal password directly, instead. Since that makes hacking Blizzard's authenticator un-necessary. If they have your PayPal password they can just directly send themselves money.

Otherwise they'd need to login to your account, post your shit for auction, hope the shit sells, lose money in a fee to blizzard, lose money again in the PayPal fee, then login to paypal and send themselves that fraction of the money.

Quote:
If they get into your account, even if you dont have one linked, they can then attach whatever paypal account they want to and just transfer the cash out.
Like you said, each individual auction is pre-desiginated PayPal or Battle.net Balance before it is even listed. If you don't have a PayPal account attached -- you can only use Battle.net Balance.

They can't cash out Battle.net Balance even if they attached a PayPal account of their own. Which by the way, would be incredibly stupid. Blizzard would tell PayPal that account is not authorized and not only would PayPal freeze and seize the assets of that PayPal account they would chargeback any already distributed amount.

It'd be as stupid as a criminal stealing someones checkbook, signing their actual own name to the check and putting their own dumbass thumbprint, in ink, on the check.

Tags
blizzard entertainment, diablo iii