Last post by BenSkywlkr
Yesterday 09:10 PM
25 Replies, 1,639 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nintendo Pre-E3 Breifing Tomorrow

Nintendo is jumping the gun this year with a Pre-E3 presentation tomorrow.

Quote:
We'll be broadcasting a very special Nintendo Direct Pre E3 presentation of exciting new info on June 3rd at 23:00 GMT.

To watch the live broadcast, simply click this link to go to Nintendo's Japanese website at that time. Don't worry if you miss the live showing, as we'll soon be putting the presentation up on this page for you to watch again at any time.
Everyone loves the race to last place.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
blackzc
Evil Dead

Nintendo is going to be hurting real soon i think. There are only so many times i can play zelda and metriod and pokemon and mario kart and pokemon. Mario i can play over and over though.

This will be good for nintendo, it will force them to make some new ip's. I wonder how they will do since they havent made any new ones in over 50,000 years.

What they should do is ripoff steam completely, none of this tied to the console stuff. Make all games bought tied to an account that will work across all consoles from here on out.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Nintendo is going to be hurting real soon i think. There are only so many times i can play zelda and metriod and pokemon and mario kart and pokemon. Mario i can play over and over though.

This will be good for nintendo, it will force them to make some new ip's. I wonder how they will do since they havent made any new ones in over 50,000 years.
Think so? How many people are buying 360's for anything other than Halo, GoW, and Forza? How many people buying PS3's for more than Uncharted, LBP, Gran Turismo, and the other GoW? Nintendo is killing the other systems for first party IP's. If they actually drop a platform that can compete on the multiplatform title stage, they'll continue to outdo MS and SONY. Wii outsold them on a platform driven primarily on first party games.

The reason they can keep selling Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario(/kart/party/sports) is because the quality on the titles tend to be exceptional. You're selling the list of first party titles short though. Throw in Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus, Warioware, etc. Newer ones too like Pikmin, Golden Sun, and Endless Ocean. Older ones maybe, we could really use a new F-Zero or Earthbound. Nintendo has a massive catalogue of first party IP's to choose from.

Whatever new Super Smash Bros. title shows up (SSB Universe?) will be a system seller alone. As long as the hardware works and they put it at the right price point, and drop some real launch titles this time around, the Wii U is going to be a pain to get this Holiday season.

heh sidenote: Just noticed you used "I" instead of "people", so don't take offense. I'm talking people at large, obviously I don't have any say over what you do or don't like as a gamer.

Quote:
What they should do is ripoff steam completely, none of this tied to the console stuff. Make all games bought tied to an account that will work across all consoles from here on out.
I'm hoping for a real Nintendo Network to be announced too. Handling friends codes and individual system downloads is a pain, and the lack of a proper network had to have really hurt the Wii's multiplayer capability. Think the iffy online ability was a greater thorn in the Wii's side than the weak graphics.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
stuff about Nitty's 1st party strength
They have a strong first party stable and Wii managed to survive just on that and the novelty of the motion controllers. But, if they are ever forced to compete they could be in trouble without stronger 3rd party support.

Once Sony and, especially Microsoft entered into the casual motion gaming world Wii sales dropped dramatically while Kinect sales skyrocketed. Causation/corrolation etc., but still, Nintendo is doing poorly right now, and I doubt they can afford to shun 3rd parties as stridently as they did on the Wii if they have to compete on a feature-by-feature basis.

All other things being equal (though we know they won't be), the console with the worst online presence loses the next gen. So far Nintendo holds that crown despite owning an ecosystem they could otherwise dominate.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
managed to survive
I would argue that they did better than just "survive".

Despite a lackluster couple of years, the Wii overall is a great success, no?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Radiozo
Evil Dead

sony is in much worse shape than nintendo. nintendo will be fine.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Syl
Evil Dead

Nintendo has posted one yearly loss since the NES came out. They're doing a hell of a lot better than "managing to survive". They're pretty much "sitting on a mountain of money and accidentally lost a little of it"

Nintendo has a ton of unique and interesting stuff first party title wise, they just do it mostly with Wii-Ware or handheld so most people don't see it.

I'm really curious where nintendo is going to go with the Wii-U.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Yes! Yes! Yes! BTW this Nintendo Direct, as confirmed by NoA is strictly about the Wii U hardware. So that allows third-parties to start talking about Wii U games on Monday, while Nintendo's formal E3 conference will probably be strictly about games and Nintendo Network. Given that Nintendo press conferences go for usually 90 minutes, that is a ton of time to talk first, third, and network.

And I got my Nintendo conference invite in my hands! Give me Retro's new game, Nintendo!!!!
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

I had to go to Destructoid who had the decency to translate the bloody GMT for me.

It's 3PM PST/6PM EST for other time challenged folks among us.

I'll be watching...
Old 06-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Honestly, I think Nintendo has and still does offer the most unique gaming experience of the 3 consoles. When I say gaming experience, I mostly mean the games. It says a lot about how Nintendo completely recrafts Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc to where they can sell time after time with similar formulas, but built from the ground-up each time.

You can talk about how Zelda games are all about killing Gannon and saving Zelda with your usual gadgets, but there is a a large difference in the experience of playing Ocarina vs Twilight Princess. It's not the similar experience that is playing Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops.

Not mentioning a TON of unique games, especially on DS. Nintendo is completely fine. The Wii-U has real potential. The games may not be innovative in the way that the new Gears game that groundbreakingly discludes Marcus Fenix is, but Nintendo will do well I bet.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Meusli
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I had to go to Destructoid who had the decency to translate the bloody GMT for me.

It's 3PM PST/6PM EST for other time challenged folks among us.

I'll be watching...
GMT is where it's all at, not like that EST/PST nonsense.
Meusli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I would argue that they did better than just "survive".

Despite a lackluster couple of years, the Wii overall is a great success, no?
Fair enough, for the first few years they even managed to thrive.

However I maintain that Nintendo was sorely hurt by not having 3rd party success on the Wii. Maybe they did well thanks to the strength of their 1st party, but they could have done much better if they'd been able to actually get 3rd parties to invest in the system as well.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

I'll be honest, I don't care at all about the Wii U. I just can't find any interest in it, and knowing that Nintendo will be pushing it since its the platform of the future, I'm actually a little sad. I want to like them, but they just keep creating products I just don't care about.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Fair enough, for the first few years they even managed to thrive.

However I maintain that Nintendo was sorely hurt by not having 3rd party success on the Wii. Maybe they did well thanks to the strength of their 1st party, but they could have done much better if they'd been able to actually get 3rd parties to invest in the system as well.
Out of curiosity, what 3rd parties do you think are really missing from the Wii? Wii has had pretty decent support from EA, Capcom, Sega and Activision. About the only big 3rd party player who offered minimal support that I can think of is 2K, and honestly, they games aren't really appropriate for the system. I mean, would anyone buy a super stripped down version of Bioshock or GTA with motion controls?

The fact is, this generation Nintendo sold 50% more Wii than Sony or MS sold PS3 or 360, and Nintendo sold that hardware for a profit, while the others sold for a loss. I keep hearing how Nintendo is in so much trouble, but I don't see it. This is the company who made money off the Gamecube. Twice if you consider the fact that the Wii is mostly the same.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
I'll be honest, I don't care at all about the Wii U. I just can't find any interest in it, and knowing that Nintendo will be pushing it since its the platform of the future, I'm actually a little sad. I want to like them, but they just keep creating products I just don't care about.
Same here, skyward sword was a horrible barren empty feeling game. Metriod was a letdown, DKC had you shaking the stupid ass controller. The 25th anniversary mario was mario all stars, derp...It just gets old watching them throw scraps on the ground like you are a moron. Their games are too expensive for too long. Its shrewd and makes them money but it pisses me off. Their stuff isnt that good to be doing all that.

Id like to see the crap they pull come home to roost and i think will be soon. Their online plan will be no good and as phones take a chunk of handheld gaming away that will hurt them even more.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Same here, skyward sword was a horrible barren empty feeling game. Metriod was a letdown, DKC had you shaking the stupid ass controller. The 25th anniversary mario was mario all stars, derp...It just gets old watching them throw scraps on the ground like you are a moron. Their games are too expensive for too long. Its shrewd and makes them money but it pisses me off. Their stuff isnt that good to be doing all that.

Id like to see the crap they pull come home to roost and i think will be soon. Their online plan will be no good and as phones take a chunk of handheld gaming away that will hurt them even more.
Huh? Skyward Sword was a horrible, barren empty feeling game? Metroid was a let-down? I CALL* hehe, Call of Duty fan
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
laggerific
Evil Dead

My biggest frustration with Skyward Sword is being forced to use their crappy motion control. One to one can't complete the experience, because it doesn't know when you are moving your controller to a new position or swinging...perhaps putting in a button when swinging might have benefited, but I'm just so sick of it altogether. I really hope they highlight how they are moving away from the crappy wiimote structure. I'd love to see a new non-ipad controller on top of the already hyped ipad controller.

But what I find most disheartening is the talk I hear of Miyamoto reallly being down on 2D Mario in favor of 3D mario. I don't know if that is true, but it's unfortunate. When you have games like Cave Story kicking the ass of the last 10 years of Mario games, and even Metroid games (do not even kid me that any of the GBA games come close to the depth of CS) I wonder if Nintendo really has it in them to do their IPs justice vs. the current crop of clones.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #18
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Metriod was a letdown
I... wha.. I don't.. Sorry going to have to walk away from this one.

I will give you Skyward Sword. The overworld was pretty barren and pointless. Here fly across this huge area with NOTHING to do. They should have implemented a quick travel to the various sections of the map.
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Major Scud
Evil Dead

We've pretty much decided to get a WiiU depending on a couple of factors:

If it is not as powerful as 360/PS3 we won't pay over $200 for it.
If it's the same power we won't pay over $250 for it.
If it is more powerful, then up to $350, but we wont spend $400 if it won't play blu-ray.

This is also dependent on a launch game that interests us (we do love most of Nintendo's 1st party games, but if it's just a sequel to New Super Mario Bros. without a serious increase in the number of powers/features then it's not gonna slice it).
Major Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
Mr. Lake
Developer

I stopped playing with Nintendo shortly after the N64 and came to the realization that the recycling would continue indefinitely. Motion controls aside (which weren't all that great to begin with), Nintendo is a stagnate and stubborn beast. The WiiU reminds me of the Dreamcast far more than calling up any sense of innovation - I would not be surprised at all if this thing sees half the lifespan of the previous cycle. Nintendo survives purely on the strength of it's branding - they are very smart to continue marketing themselves as a kid-friendly, entry-level product for parents to put under the tree.

Tags
e3 2012, nintendo