Today 01:55 PM
98 Replies, 3,938 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #61
Gheritt
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Well unless the tech recorded my call for training purposes, it's not going to happen anytime soon haha.
If the source of your information is a tech support call it sounds like they told you a joke you didn't quite get.

If you don't have any actual evidence of that maybe you could elaborate on

Quote:
Blizzard hasn't taken measures to discourage the hacking community, and in-fact have a long history of taking kick-backs
I'm assuming that there's more than a phonecall if you said they have a long history of it and what measures do you think they should take other than adding the dial in authenticator, mobile authenticator, physical authenticator, educating their users on how to ensure their computers are secure, providing links to free anti-virus and malware

If anyone is interested there was another awesome post from blizzard that says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
I've personally examined the MSInfo files of nearly all of the handful of WoW players who have actually been compromised through an authenticator, and the sheer number of backdoor programs and other malware on their systems has been mind boggling. Probably not coincidentally, these same people were also running a disturbing number of file-sharing and download programs, including ones which are commonly known to not be safe.
Gheritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #62
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
With regards to basic security type things, I've honestly never understood why there was such a huge hacking problem with WoW.
Keyloggers.

I had read awhile ago that a WoW account was actually more valuable on the black market than a credit card! Iirc, the figures went like this, a hacked credit card was worth on average $9, and a hacked WoW account was on average worth $16.

Couple things the kiddies don't do. They don't take basic steps to protect themselves against javascript and infected pdfs when browsing pron. And they're more likely to try to run hacked games and apps off a torrent site, which is a very good way to get hacked and rooted and all sorts of other nasties.

If you value your computer, you don't run compromised EXE's, you buy your games like a normal person. This is why pirating games and software is largely a young man's penchant. An adult can less afford the fallout when the risks kick you in the butt.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #63
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Keyloggers.

I had read awhile ago that a WoW account was actually more valuable on the black market than a credit card! Iirc, the figures went like this, a hacked credit card was worth on average $9, and a hacked WoW account was on average worth $16.

Couple things the kiddies don't do. They don't take basic steps to protect themselves against javascript and infected pdfs when browsing pron. And they're more likely to try to run hacked games and apps off a torrent site, which is a very good way to get hacked and rooted and all sorts of other nasties.

If you value your computer, you don't run compromised EXE's, you buy your games like a normal person. This is why pirating games and software is largely a young man's penchant. An adult can less afford the fallout when the risks kick you in the butt.
Thats just it though, I'm not wondering how the kiddies got hacked, or attempted hacks, I'm wondering how the (presumably) more intelligent users of this site, or the RL friends I know got attacked, and how I've somehow never encountered it at all except for the one, almost negligible, incident.

It's largely rhetorical as it's entirely possible that it's sheer luck on my part, but if I could figure out what it is I do to avoid malware and viruses, I could make a fortune selling that secret.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #64
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
It's largely rhetorical as it's entirely possible that it's sheer luck on my part, but if I could figure out what it is I do to avoid malware and viruses, I could make a fortune selling that secret.
If you don't know what you're doing to avoid viruses then you're going to get hit one of these days >_> I know exactly how I avoid it, you don't?
<_<;;;
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #65
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheritt View Post
I'm assuming that there's more than a phonecall if you said they have a long history of it and what measures do you think they should take other than adding the dial in authenticator, mobile authenticator, physical authenticator, educating their users on how to ensure their computers are secure, providing links to free anti-virus and malware.
The "long history" is playing WoW for years and watching them ignore problems besides a few blanket bannings as publicity stuns. Shooting the shit with techs/employees I may or may not know personally just bolsters the conviction I have behind the opinions I convey like statements, because it's the god damn internet after all where everybody is always right and nobody ever wrong, just assholes in each of our unique ways.

Even Metal Jesus is an asshole, because he keeps tempting me to go back into collecting with the sweet videos he posts! Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #66
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
It was an untrue statement as a joke. Blizzard supports case sensitivity and special characters, as my password contains both (and numbers o_O)
Mine too. But try to log without the case and you will see the server just ignores what case the letter is. The special characters are limited to just a few symbols, you can't use every symbol in your kb.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #67
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotoco View Post
Mine too. But try to log without the case and you will see the server just ignores what case the letter is. The special characters are limited to just a few symbols, you can't use every symbol in your kb.
Yep, Blizzard is no better than SOE and which I've long since abandoned them. My kids are going to hate me as a father because I'll have all these sweet retro systems that play fun games while they are restricted by today's pathetic standards.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #68
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
The "long history" is playing WoW for years and watching them ignore problems besides a few blanket bannings as publicity stuns. Shooting the shit with techs/employees I may or may not know personally just bolsters the conviction I have behind the opinions I convey like statements, because it's the god damn internet after all where everybody is always right and nobody ever wrong, just assholes in each of our unique ways.
Well, call me an asshole's asshole then. I'm not going to take someones word that "Blizzard was hacked" or "It's been proven that battle.net accounts can be hacked without malware, keyloggers, or social engineering" without question.

That of itself shouldn't make me a fanboi, apologist, or defender (whatever the topic), but I realize that when I question peoples convictions thats what i'll be labeled since it usually means that I'm denying their reality is correct. That makes me an asshole, right?

Honestly, I'd rather be humiliated and proven i'm wrong. It helps me determine what the actual reality is.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #69
Gheritt
Reaper

Quote:
The "long history" is playing WoW for years and watching them ignore problems besides a few blanket bannings as publicity stuns.
Ignore what security problems exactly, I'm also not sure how you could tell the difference between a few blanket bannings as publicity stunts and a concerted effort to help remove hackers from the game....
Gheritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #70
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post
That makes me an asshole, right?
Correct

If anyone doesn't consider themself an asshole and still continue to use the internet then they've got some serious issues.
Quote:
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #71
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Here feel free to borrow my copy of the internet guide book if you need anymore tips.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #72
Elrik Murder
Hero in a Half-Shell

Quote:
The cell phone and service contract are NOT.

I know it's hard to realize this people, but last I knew smartphones were only in the hands of 50% of the US population, and less elsewhere (excluding Japan). While extremely popular, that's a LOT of people who can't just get a "free" application.
Yes true, but one possible solution is to:

Download and install the Eclipse SDK.
From within download and install the Android SDK.
Create an Android emulator (2.1 or greater).
Download the apk of the BattleNet authenticator (via file sharing site)*.
Install the apk on the emulator.
Run the authenticator.

*it may be possible to enable the Google Play Store directly.

Keep in mind this is a huge pain in the @$$ as the Anroid software emulator is ridiculously slow (at least on my dated laptop). But, in theory, this should work as it will use the Internet to send/receive data. Just an idea.

"A guarentee from Gamestop is like a guarentee from a hooker; someone always gets screwed." ~Sandman
Elrik Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #73
Samstag
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrik Murder View Post

Run the authenticator.

Keep in mind this is a huge pain in the @$$ as the Anroid software emulator is ridiculously slow (at least on my dated laptop). But, in theory, this should work as it will use the Internet to send/receive data. Just an idea.
At this point you're probably better off leaving yourself open for hacks and just dealing with them as they occur.
Samstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #74
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrik Murder View Post

Run the authenticator.

I'm sure your average person off the street who doesn't have a job where they can afford a smartphone can understand and execute all those steps. I mean, it's simple, really ;P

note: the ";P" means I get your joke. I don't need people jumping in to say it really is or is not "that simple"
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #75
phantomhitman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Blizzard also offers the Dial In authenticator where you can call them to authenticator your account when you log in.
Does not work for D3 as many people found out the hard way.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #76
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Seriously?

It's one thing to be constructive in your opinion, it's another thing to just be snarky. If you dislike it, do not read it. I'm sure IGN could provide you with news if you like.
You take things way too personally compared to what is required of an EvAv mod. This is a "wild west attitude" site. First you take offense at my attacks on the Apple culture, and now this?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #77
phantomhitman
Evil Dead

You attack Apple culture as well? We are growing closer daily elektro.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #78
Zane
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomhitman View Post
You attack Apple culture as well? We are growing closer daily elektro.
Soon the two of you will merge and form phantomElektrohitmanDragon!
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battle.net, blizzard entertainment, diablo iii