Last post by thatlukeguy
Yesterday 11:43 PM
13 Replies, 846 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

DICE - "Frostbite Engine Games in 2013 Will Require a 64 bit OS"

DICE's Johan Andersson has tweeted that next year's Frostbite Engine-powered games on PC will require a 64 bit OS.

Quote:
We'll have Frostbite-powered games in 2013 that will _require_ a 64-bit OS. If you are on 32-bit, great opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
LilAbner
Evil Dead

For PC gamers, there's really no excuse not to have a 64-bit OS by next year.

Romans 6:23
LilAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
automaton
Evil Dead

What the hell does Windows 8 have to do with upgrading to 64 bit? It comes in the same 2 flavors (x86 & x64) that windows has come in since Windows XP. You can upgrade to 64bit today with Windows 7. derp?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Zelos
Zoidberg

Even through I have a 32 bit OS, I do agree by now it is long over due for anyone right now not to have an 64 bit OS. The only reason I don't have one is because the computer I bought from Ibuypower sent the wrong Windows Disk when I order it 4 years ago. Since I am building my next computer late this year or early next year (budget and money depending) I will have a 64 bit OS of Windows 7 when I order the parts (of course every REAL version of Windows 7 comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit).

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Yeah, 64-bit is a must nowadays.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAbner View Post
For PC gamers, there's really no excuse not to have a 64-bit OS by next year.
I wouldn't be quite as fast to estimate that. Obviously like most tech, we'll all move forward at some point. But I think a total conversion to a 64 bit OS is going to be a little premature for 2013. Maybe 2014 but I'd say 2015 and beyond.

Keep in mind, most people still use Windows these days. And while there are advantages to using 64 bit Windows 7 compared to 32 bit, there are draw backs too mainly if you are a PC gamer. Lots of games out there have little, to no, support for 64 bit right now. It's not the consumers fault, nor the hardare makers but a mish-mash of game developers and Microsoft needing to kind of I dunno, figure out what some of these kinks are.

Yea there's compatibility modes and such but that emulation is only going to take you so far before you run into code problems that can't be backwards reworked from 64 to 32.

It'll be worth keeping an eye on the next few years, see how things play out. Long as brick and mortar places like Best Buy still 32 bit, then the average consumer has a strong chances of buying it.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Keep in mind, most people still use Windows these days. And while there are advantages to using 64 bit Windows 7 compared to 32 bit, there are draw backs too mainly if you are a PC gamer. Lots of games out there have little, to no, support for 64 bit right now.
Hmm, I haven't run into a game made in the last few years that has problems with 64-bit and I've played a lot of games (Steam and Indie). Maybe Windows is automatically falling back and I just don't see it happening.

Anyone running a machine that meets the Frostbite 2013 requirements definitely has the hardware to run 64-bit if they aren't already. One of the nice things about the higher end editions of Windows (at least that I noticed with Vista and 7 Ultimate) is that they come with both 64 and 32 bit versions so there is that option as well.

Like you said, the key is making sure OEMs are installing 64 bit OS. They should all be doing that now but Best Buy and maybe Dell are still cheaping out. Plus does "Home" come in a 64-bit flavor? Most most installs from OEMs seem to be Home edition, if that isn't 64 bit then the world is screwed. Or at least DICE/Frostbite licensees are.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Sobran
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Hmm, I haven't run into a game made in the last few years that has problems with 64-bit and I've played a lot of games (Steam and Indie). Maybe Windows is automatically falling back and I just don't see it happening.

Anyone running a machine that meets the Frostbite 2013 requirements definitely has the hardware to run 64-bit if they aren't already. One of the nice things about the higher end editions of Windows (at least that I noticed with Vista and 7 Ultimate) is that they come with both 64 and 32 bit versions so there is that option as well.

Like you said, the key is making sure OEMs are installing 64 bit OS. They should all be doing that now but Best Buy and maybe Dell are still cheaping out. Plus does "Home" come in a 64-bit flavor? Most most installs from OEMs seem to be Home edition, if that isn't 64 bit then the world is screwed. Or at least DICE/Frostbite licensees are.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop and Windows Vista Home Basic (or whatever) and they are both 64-bit. Most of the OEM computer manufacturers switched over about three years ago. Why is this even an issue?
Sobran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
OmegaVader
Evil Dead

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is virtually the case for Battlefield 3 anyway (which runs on Frostbite, of course), which requires DirectX 11. I can't imagine anyone actually bought the 32-bit version of Windows Vista or 7....
OmegaVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaVader View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is virtually the case for Battlefield 3 anyway (which runs on Frostbite, of course), which requires DirectX 11. I can't imagine anyone actually bought the 32-bit version of Windows Vista or 7....
BF 3 only requires DX 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome
It [DDoS] may be illegal, but should it be? Where's the actual damage?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
DX11 works with 32 bit Vista and 7, 64 bit just allows programs to use more than 4 gb of ram if they're able to.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
eighties
Evil Dead

i was just gonna say this prob has more to do with the 32bit 4 gig ram limit as well.
eighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

Quote:
We'll have Frostbite-powered games in 2013 that will _require_ a 64-bit OS. If you are on 32-bit, great opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8
While I agree most serious gamers should really have a 64-bit OS by then, it's a little flippant for Dice to say "...great opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8." It's not "a great opportunity"... it's "a system requirement".
Steve_Erhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #14
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
DX11 works with 32 bit Vista and 7, 64 bit just allows programs to use more than 4 gb of ram if they're able to.
64bit does quite a bit more than that. However there are very few programs used that actually use all the extra coding capabilities due to the (generally) forced backwards compatibility with x86.

I'm fully up for this, i've been using a 64bit processor since 2004 and a 64bit OS for many, many years.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #15
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Quote:
I run it in DX 10 on my GTX 275.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #16
gawaintheblind
Evil Dead

64 bit? Yes. Windows 8? Not fucking likely.

Tags
dice, frostbite engine