Need some advice
Last post by Syl
Today 05:15 PM
10 Replies, 671 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #61
Saudade
Evil Dead

Turns out my memory was fine. The Sabertooth Z77 motherboard would only recognize 8gig of ram in Slot A2. I called Newegg to get an RMA and decided it was easier to just order another 16gigs (2x8gig sticks) and then return the faulty ram so I didn't go without a system. Received my new ram today and it did the same exact thing as the old ram and wouldn't boot when I had 16 gig installed (Yes, I installed them in the correct dimm slots). What I did for shits was put all 4 sticks, totaling 32gig, in my system and it booted up with no problems and lists 32gig ram installed.

With today's hardware technology, does having 32gig ram installed slow down my system? I remember reading years ago that having too much ram would actually do this.
Saudade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #62
Anenome
Autarchist

32gigs, so fucking jealous O_O
Anenome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #63
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

I don't think so. It's just largely unnecessary. I have 12, may max out at 24, but it's more for my video work. And as I understand it, getting a better video card can solve that problem.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #64
lockwoodx
Photobomber

ugh I should have never assumed you knew about sabertooths without adding a warning in my previous post. ASUS are lazy motherfuckers who operate today like ABIT did back in the day. High quality on the exterior, SHITTTTTTY parts/service/software. Sabertooths are headaches in a box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #65
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

Having 32 gigs of ram shouldn't do anything but help your performance. Thats one of the selling points of the new chipsets out is the increase in amounts of RAM. But like sai said its probably just overkill. My concern would be with why the board won't work without it, but google that because I remember other people having that problem with other boards and chipsets also. It might not relate to your specific hardware. But you can check the Asus website to see if your RAM is on the list of known compatible RAM for that motherboard. Though I'm sure it is because the vengeance RAM is on just about all compatible lists. Are all 4 sticks identical?

Check for the usual, BIOS fixes and whatnot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by presage View Post
I'd like to go see PETA throw blood all over some native American's for wearing animal fur.
montemuscle1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #66
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

Oh and were you trying to install Windows with all the RAM or was it already installed and just trying to boot? A lot of people had problems trying to install Win7 with more than one stick of RAM in their board during the setup process for some reason.
Quote:
I'd like to go see PETA throw blood all over some native American's for wearing animal fur.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #67
Saudade
Evil Dead

Yeah LOL! It has been a learning experience. I am just one of those that hate to inconvenienced so I will keep all 32gig instead of sending any back.

They are all Corsair Vengeance 1600 so they are all identical.

I also near maxed my CC with everything, so don't be jealous, I will be paying on this system for awhile and debt is never attractive. One of the monitors I picked is the BenQ 2420T 120hz LED and it is really nice. And fucking bright compared to the Dell I have. Really fucking bright.

The Sabertooth was a treat to work with aside from the memory problem. I never checked the bios because I just didn't even think about it - still getting back into the system building mindset.

If any of you are looking to build a new system I do highly recommend the Corsair 600T case. This thing has so much room for a midtower case and the airflow is superb. I did read that it does have some spacing issues with certain cooling add-ons though. My house is so damn hot in the summer I so needed a case with decent airflow.

And once again I thank you all for your help in all of this. Can't thank ya enough.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #68
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by montemuscle1970 View Post
Oh and were you trying to install Windows with all the RAM or was it already installed and just trying to boot? A lot of people had problems trying to install Win7 with more than one stick of RAM in their board during the setup process for some reason.
No. The system would not even boot. Just a black screen. It would boot fine with just 1 8 gig stick of ram in slot A2. Installed windows and added the 24gig after without any problems.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #69
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

You can try pulling different sticks and see if the problem persists. Maybe check the motherboard manual for memory profiles and see if the one set is causing trouble too? Heck even sometimes just putting sticks in the slots a few times helps make contact and then they just work. Kinda like old NES cartridges. Damn things lol
Quote:
Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #70
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
No. The system would not even boot. Just a black screen. It would boot fine with just 1 8 gig stick of ram in slot A2. Installed windows and added the 24gig after without any problems.
The problem is you went with an asus sabertooth.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #71
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
The problem is you went with an asus sabertooth.
Heheheh Maybe so, maybe so. Only time will tell if it decides it hates me. If it does, I may just go back to Gigabyte.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #72
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

I've never had any trouble with Gigabyte. I haven't looked at their offerings on z77 boards, but I have an X58 sniper and it has on-board creative sound blaster x-fi and killer e2100 NIC. If I remember correctly, you were worried about having to buy a sound card. But anyways, if you end up having to go with a different board, look for one that has some of those options.
Quote:
Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #73
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by montemuscle1970 View Post
I've never had any trouble with Gigabyte. I haven't looked at their offerings on z77 boards, but I have an X58 sniper and it has on-board creative sound blaster x-fi and killer e2100 NIC. If I remember correctly, you were worried about having to buy a sound card. But anyways, if you end up having to go with a different board, look for one that has some of those options.
I am just using the on-board Realtek audio on the Z77. It does the job for now but I will definitely want to buy a decent audio card down the road.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #74
Anenome
Autarchist

Unless you're running 5.1+ and wicked speakers I don't see the point in anything beyond on-board sound.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #75
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Gigabyte is a low end board I'll confidently claim to not have issues with when I used them as filler boards in between tech cycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Unless you're running 5.1+ and wicked speakers I don't see the point in anything beyond on-board sound.
even a low quality sound card can take a lot of pressure off a system. Always worth the investment.
Quote:
Old 05-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #76
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Gigabyte is a low end board I'll confidently claim to not have issues with when I used them as filler boards in between tech cycles.

even a low quality sound card can take a lot of pressure off a system. Always worth the investment.
This hasn't really been an issue since north bridge and south bridge conjoined, or since processors became multi-core. Sound is generally taken care of entirely by chipset or by videocard these days, except in extreme circumstances.

Last edited by Syl; 05-12-2012 at 07:43 AM..
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #77
Anenome
Autarchist

A lot of pressure? Seriously?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #78
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
A lot of pressure? Seriously?
Do the math

Quote:
Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #79
Anenome
Autarchist

No, no, that meme is for when you've actually stated an actual fact. Not when you've offloaded support for your assertion on those who questioned it.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #80
Syl
Evil Dead

I'd say less than .5% of a single core load is not a lot of pressure. The DRIVERS for a PCI-E soundcard will probably take more system resources than the realtek chipset would. (I'm using onboard sound and its currently taking up <.01% cpu and 11 megs of ram, this is with 5.1 audio on a blu-ray rip video)
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halp im a rock!, hot nerd talk