Last post by Emabulator
Today 12:11 AM
4 Replies, 503 Views

Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
NightRain
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
As the rest of the world wakes up to capitalism (and english), move releases will get bigger and bigger. We'll see a $500m opening in our lifetime. Maybe even a billion by the time we're retirement age.
You do realize that those numbers are USA only. The worldwide total so far is $648,938,708

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
You do realize that those numbers are USA only. The worldwide total so far is $648,938,708
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Anenome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
Peelzbury
Evil Dead

oh sweet list. thank ya. I r lazy bout dat sometimes.

It's a shame there isnt a '# of tickets sold' listing, revenue can be so misleading.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelzbury View Post
oh sweet list. thank ya. I r lazy bout dat sometimes.

It's a shame there isnt a '# of tickets sold' listing, revenue can be so misleading.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you twice in one day. They never seem to account for inflation when measuring these records.

I grew up in the days of the $1 afternoon shows (2.50 for adults) or $5 per car at the drive-in. How the hell can Indiana Jones or Han Solo possibly compete with $15 - $20 ticket prices?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #25
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Wasn't it's opening weekend two weeks ago...?
The North America opening was May 4th. International showings opened a week earlier. So, its (now) been showing 4 days in North America and 11 Days international.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallor
I grew up in the days of the $1 afternoon shows (2.50 for adults) or $5 per car at the drive-in. How the hell can Indiana Jones or Han Solo possibly compete with $15 - $20 ticket prices?
You take into account inflation, not just the exact cash. For instance, non-adjusted for inflation, Star Wars: A New Hope brought in $460 million. When you adjust it for inflation, it brought in $1.41 billion.

FYI, adjusted for inflation, Gone With the Wind is the best selling movie of all time, bringing in $1.6 billion. Star Wars is #2.

You can view the full list here.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #26
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
The North America opening was May 4th. International showings opened a week earlier. So, its (now) been showing 4 days in North America and 11 Days international.
Yeah... I was having the same problem as whatshisface. I thought they were international figures and was thusly being a bit pedantic saying it was two weeks ago because it was, here in NZ/AUS... in which case it will have made about $14.57...

This movie is going to make bank.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #27
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Yeah... I was having the same problem as whatshisface. I thought they were international figures and was thusly being a bit pedantic saying it was two weeks ago because it was, here in NZ/AUS... in which case it will have made about $14.57...

This movie is going to make bank.
I think the real question now is whether or not the Avengers has legs, so to say.

For instance, the last Harry Potter movie made 44% of its total domestic (US) revenue during its opening weekend. If Avengers acts like this, you're looking at only about $470 million domestic, which would put it 5th on the all time list, but would probably be a disappointment after this kind of opening.

In the middle, Iron Man made 31% of its total domestic revenue its opening weekend. At these numbers, Avengers would pull in $670 million, which would be #2 all time.

The long shot would be Avatar-like numbers. Avatar sold on Word of Mouth. It only made 10% of its total domestic revenue its opening weekend. With numbers like that, you're talking $2 billion domestic for Avengers. This, to me, is completely unrealistic, but since we have seen it before, I thought it worth a mention.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
vallor
Evil Dead

Avatar is going to be pretty untouchable for a while, I think. It ushered in the era of *good* 3D done in movies and was a pretty decent flick at that. Until the next big tech leap it's probably cemented in pretty well.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
Butters66
Evil Dead

Thank you Joss. Just been doing an Angel rewatch and I forgot how good a job he did.
Butters66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #30
Butters66
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Avatar is going to be pretty untouchable for a while, I think. It ushered in the era of *good* 3D done in movies and was a pretty decent flick at that. Until the next big tech leap it's probably cemented in pretty well.
Let's hope that isn't true. Avatar sucked terribly. I am thinking Dark Knight Rises will be the Hulk of this year.
Butters66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart