Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
The Steam Halloween Sale...
Last post by shadow763
Today 12:59 PM
10 Replies, 1,056 Views
Call of Duty: Advanced...
Last post by Demo_Boy
Today 12:59 PM
2 Replies, 987 Views
#GamerGate Happenings...
Last post by VenomUSMC
Today 12:50 PM
138 Replies, 8,339 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Tolgar
Today 12:42 PM
13 Replies, 396 Views
This War of Mine -...
Last post by VenomUSMC
Today 12:30 PM
25 Replies, 1,288 Views
#GamerGate Happenings...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 12:16 PM
23 Replies, 2,168 Views
PS4 Dominates Xbox One...
Last post by Agnostic Pope
Today 10:49 AM
8 Replies, 1,068 Views
Nintendo On Track for a...
Last post by Phoenix1985
Today 08:17 AM
24 Replies, 795 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
NightRain
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
As the rest of the world wakes up to capitalism (and english), move releases will get bigger and bigger. We'll see a $500m opening in our lifetime. Maybe even a billion by the time we're retirement age.
You do realize that those numbers are USA only. The worldwide total so far is $648,938,708
__________________
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 41,989
Blog Entries: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
You do realize that those numbers are USA only. The worldwide total so far is $648,938,708
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I wonder if there would be enough digital storage space in the world if someone tried to digitize your ego -- I'm guessing no.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
Peelzbury
Evil Dead
 
Peelzbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EMWGosMcpoGcS
Posts: 293
oh sweet list. thank ya. I r lazy bout dat sometimes.

It's a shame there isnt a '# of tickets sold' listing, revenue can be so misleading.
__________________
Fallen Empires' Lost Ascended.
Peelzbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
vallor
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelzbury View Post
oh sweet list. thank ya. I r lazy bout dat sometimes.

It's a shame there isnt a '# of tickets sold' listing, revenue can be so misleading.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you twice in one day. They never seem to account for inflation when measuring these records.

I grew up in the days of the $1 afternoon shows (2.50 for adults) or $5 per car at the drive-in. How the hell can Indiana Jones or Han Solo possibly compete with $15 - $20 ticket prices?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #25
AspectVoid
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,218
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Wasn't it's opening weekend two weeks ago...?
The North America opening was May 4th. International showings opened a week earlier. So, its (now) been showing 4 days in North America and 11 Days international.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallor
I grew up in the days of the $1 afternoon shows (2.50 for adults) or $5 per car at the drive-in. How the hell can Indiana Jones or Han Solo possibly compete with $15 - $20 ticket prices?
You take into account inflation, not just the exact cash. For instance, non-adjusted for inflation, Star Wars: A New Hope brought in $460 million. When you adjust it for inflation, it brought in $1.41 billion.

FYI, adjusted for inflation, Gone With the Wind is the best selling movie of all time, bringing in $1.6 billion. Star Wars is #2.

You can view the full list here.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #26
BeachGaara
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
The North America opening was May 4th. International showings opened a week earlier. So, its (now) been showing 4 days in North America and 11 Days international.
Yeah... I was having the same problem as whatshisface. I thought they were international figures and was thusly being a bit pedantic saying it was two weeks ago because it was, here in NZ/AUS... in which case it will have made about $14.57...

This movie is going to make bank.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #27
AspectVoid
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,218
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Yeah... I was having the same problem as whatshisface. I thought they were international figures and was thusly being a bit pedantic saying it was two weeks ago because it was, here in NZ/AUS... in which case it will have made about $14.57...

This movie is going to make bank.
I think the real question now is whether or not the Avengers has legs, so to say.

For instance, the last Harry Potter movie made 44% of its total domestic (US) revenue during its opening weekend. If Avengers acts like this, you're looking at only about $470 million domestic, which would put it 5th on the all time list, but would probably be a disappointment after this kind of opening.

In the middle, Iron Man made 31% of its total domestic revenue its opening weekend. At these numbers, Avengers would pull in $670 million, which would be #2 all time.

The long shot would be Avatar-like numbers. Avatar sold on Word of Mouth. It only made 10% of its total domestic revenue its opening weekend. With numbers like that, you're talking $2 billion domestic for Avengers. This, to me, is completely unrealistic, but since we have seen it before, I thought it worth a mention.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
vallor
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,938
Avatar is going to be pretty untouchable for a while, I think. It ushered in the era of *good* 3D done in movies and was a pretty decent flick at that. Until the next big tech leap it's probably cemented in pretty well.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
Butters66
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale. FL
Posts: 295
Thank you Joss. Just been doing an Angel rewatch and I forgot how good a job he did.
Butters66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #30
Butters66
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale. FL
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Avatar is going to be pretty untouchable for a while, I think. It ushered in the era of *good* 3D done in movies and was a pretty decent flick at that. Until the next big tech leap it's probably cemented in pretty well.
Let's hope that isn't true. Avatar sucked terribly. I am thinking Dark Knight Rises will be the Hulk of this year.
Butters66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:00 PM.