#GamerGate or How I...
Last post by Kreigmstr
Yesterday 09:18 PM
78 Replies, 5,469 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #41
Anenome
Autarchist

Well, people, enjoy it while it lasts. Someday we're going to have to endure the next generation's childhood stories being made into movies. Very few of which will have any interest for us.

Honestly, do you want to see a live-action Pokemon movie? >_>

I could go for an Adventure Time movie tho :P
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #42
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post

Why yes i do actually.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #43
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:

I could go for an Adventure Time movie tho :P
A live-action Pokemon movie with a ton of neat CGI creatures does sound like more fun than the Transformers movies.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #44
Anenome
Autarchist

"Squirtle, squirtle."
Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #45
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Don't over think it, i just don't want to give him and his buddies in hollywood my money. Im sure the movie is fine.
I myself am religious, but... really???
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #46
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
I myself am religious, but... really???
Nothing wrong with a choice like that. He hurts only himself, or not. What annoys me are those who don't like something and try to take it away for everyone. Complain about those people. What he's doing is moral on all sides.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
Capn Crunch
Soul Reaper

I have to agree with some folks regarding where this movie fits within the "comic book movie" scale. It's certainly at the top end, along with Spiderman 2, if it's not the very top. But I think movies like Dark Knight and Watchmen transcend the comic book niche and are simply outstanding movies that can stand up against other great movies. While I loved it, I think that while the Avengers doesn't transcend the superhero genre, it definitely reaches the zenith.
Capn Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #48
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:

Fuck no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #49
Kayden
Dread Lord

I went and saw the Avengers today, it was bloody fantastic! There were so many one liners there were hysterical, the cast really played their parts well and they all played off of each other so well it was pure movie magic, making it a real treat to watch.
Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #50
Reverend Meta
Evil Dead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Crunch View Post
... I think movies like Dark Knight and Watchmen transcend the comic book niche and are simply outstanding movies that can stand up against other great movies. While I loved it, I think that while the Avengers doesn't transcend the superhero genre, it definitely reaches the zenith.
Quite well-said!

I do want to add that I saw it in 3D (there were no more 2d showings) and I was actually impressed by how crisp the visuals remained and how nothing in the film was noticeably darkened. The few times I have watched 3d movies in theaters, I quickly forget they are 3D until I am reminded by either sky & daytime shots being oddly dark or bad camera cuts. I didn't notice any of that with Avengers.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last last after-credits scene too.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #51
Anenome
Autarchist

I wonder if 48 fps movies shot in 3D might make the 3D experience pop more. You wouldn't have the darkness issue as much for one thing.

Guess we'll find out when Hobbit launches.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #52
mjarbo
Reaper

I have now seen the film in 2D and 3D IMAX (no other choice this morning, plus I got discounted tickets).

The movie is even more amazing the 2nd time around, and I'm glad to have seen it again.
mjarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #53
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
The director is an outspoken atheist. Ill pass.
Please tell me you are trolling?
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #54
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Meta View Post
Quite well-said!
As someone who read the graphic novel twice and recognise it for the milestone it was at the same time I didn't like it. However, I found The Watchmen movie barely "watch"-able. To mention it in the same breath as The Dark Knight is an unspeakable sin. The Watchmen movie catered to an audience that was a minority of the already small comic collectors and enthusists population and it was that small for a reason. And no, the reason wasn't because people "didn't get it". The only unique thing is that, for possibly the first time, it gave a taste of real literature to comic book fans. Which is why some people like it and some don't; just like real literature.

As for the Avengers. I saw it tonight and found it a very entertaining in just about all respects. A few holes that bug me but all in all but I agree with the good to great sentiments.

Good thing that Marvel Studios made the other movies first otherwise this film would be so out of place and lacking in context it could be seen as absolute shit by someone not "in the know". That's my disclaimer. If you haven't watched (at least) Ironman, Thor, and Captain America or read comics before I recommend watching those movies first. You'll get twice the entertainment value from this movie.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #55
Anenome
Autarchist

Saw tonight, liked it, and the first ending vignette excited me to no end, my favorite comic book character of all time, muahahahahaha, finally getting his due! And the wording, so perfect for a fan of his, "to fight earth is to court death."
Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #56
Mav

I saw it as well, and it's a damn fine movie. At first it was a slow build up and I was like "man.. they aren't gonna have time to cram everyone in this evenly across the board and properly develop the plot too" but it picked up pace very well. I was extremely surprised how pretty much each hero got pretty much equal screen time, though poor Hawkeye probably got a lil bit of the shaft but only a little. Hulk was pure awesome, it's what I wanted from Hulk in both Hulk movies, Hulk-fucking-smash. Thor was great, Ironman even poor Cap who can't fly in any method lol, down in the streets saving lives as he should.

Loki was perfect as a villain, though I think the jealous half/step brother plot is used up at this point. I know it recurs in the comics, rightly so but for movies it can only go so far. The entire monologue scene with him and Tony ontop Stark Tower was great.

Spoiler discussion below

The only thing I disliked, Loki's sub-plan to disperse the group by stoking turmoil amongst them to spark Banner to turn to Hulk. It seemed like a hap hazard way of progressing the story, yea they all had their reasons in that argument but with the world at stake, even Banner comments that keeping him on a submarine woulda been a bad idea? So instead we'll keep him on the Shield Helicarrier? Same problem only in...the air with the risk of crashing, not drowning. Which is exactly what it turns into, now Hulk is gone off into the wind leaving Thor trapped by Loki whilst Cap & Tony scramble to keep the damn thing from crashing? It wasn't a "bad" series of scenes but it was something as a group they could have easily avoided

Quote:
Saw tonight, liked it, and the first ending vignette excited me to no end, my favorite comic book character of all time, muahahahahaha, finally getting his due! And the wording, so perfect for a fan of his, "to fight earth is to court death."
And yes, that was one hell of a reveal. BUT, they better start mentioning this person in some of the upcoming Marvel movies (Iron Man 3, Thor 2, etc) because this person is a rather important character in the MU, you just don't toss'em in as a casual character, especially with the entire backstory of the powers this person has and where they come from.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #57
Anenome
Autarchist

Seemed like no one in my theater had seen the Captain America movie and realized Cap was originally from the 1940's. I swear I was the only guy laughing at every Cap-doesn't-get-the-future gag in the entire movie :P
Old 05-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #58
Mav

Quote:
Seemed like no one in my theater had seen the Captain America movie and realized Cap was originally from the 1940's. I swear I was the only guy laughing at every Cap-doesn't-get-the-future gag in the entire movie :P
It seems to work on some form of electricity!
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #59
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
As someone who read the graphic novel twice and recognise it for the milestone it was at the same time I didn't like it. However, I found The Watchmen movie barely "watch"-able. To mention it in the same breath as The Dark Knight is an unspeakable sin. The Watchmen movie catered to an audience that was a minority of the already small comic collectors and enthusists population and it was that small for a reason. And no, the reason wasn't because people "didn't get it". The only unique thing is that, for possibly the first time, it gave a taste of real literature to comic book fans. Which is why some people like it and some don't; just like real literature.
I just don't get this overall point of view. Not saying you're wrong on the literature part, but as far as accuracy goes, this was pretty much the most accurate comic-to-film adaption I can remember seeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #60
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

I love the fact someone isn't going to go to a movie because of their religion.

I am sorry but doesn't the majority of religions say that you should respect others beliefs? Just because someone doesn't believe in "your" god, doesn't make him any less of a human. Nor does it make you any less of a human to believe in one. Its just a very silly reason. And yes I mean that. Its very ridiculous.

Tags
marvel's the avengers