Today 02:57 PM
15 Replies, 686 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #21
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
No. THIS WAS A FREE UPDATE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AN UPGRADE. I guess free is bad?
I think in this case it is bad in three ways:
1) For the company

The company has to divert design and dev resources to figure out implementation then actually build it rather then utilizing those resources for DLC that generates revenue for the company

2) The Customer

Because resources are diverted from DLC customers who have been waiting and would have purchased DLC (had it been out earlier) will not purchase it costing the company revenue while leaving a disappointed customer

3) The Shareholders

The burn rate for the resources to implement something like this isn't cheap, and there is little to no direct revenue to be generated. In fact the opportunity cost may cost them more than any indirect revenue. As I said this is far from a "must have" feature and probably doesn't influence a purchase decision much for this particular product. However it does impact the schedule of actual revenue generating work.

From just about every angle the company loses to on a difficult integration of a trivial feature. That is why MS must have paid for it somehow; otherwise there is no way to justify months of a team's work at any level. No one wins but MS.

EDIT: I didn't even factor in test and patches into this. Testing must have been a bitch, and there are still people who can barely play due to bugs. I think there wre more productive things for them to spend their time on is all.

Last edited by vallor; 05-03-2012 at 12:33 AM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #22
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

MS paid for Kinect Implementation. You know that voice/movement tracking thing which makes these kinds of things easier to program... It was released FOR FREE. People are saying KINECT sucks. OK whatever then play the game normally then. People are saying BUT OUR DLC was pushed because of "x". No Bethesda when it comes to GOOD TES games they take their time to release DLC...they basicly release a expansion pack rather than 2 hours of gameplay. So...what is the problem here? FUS RO DAH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
If women didn't have vaginas, men would hunt them with dogs. For sport.
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
Syl
Evil Dead

I wonder if some of these will somehow trickle down to PC eventually.
Syl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
grognard66
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I think in this case it is bad in three ways:
1) For the company

The company has to divert design and dev resources to figure out implementation then actually build it rather then utilizing those resources for DLC that generates revenue for the company

Blah, Blah, Blah.
Yeah, because it's completely inconceivable that Todd Howard and his fellow co-workers just thought this would be a cool thing to do considering Howard has given numerous interviews talking about how cool he thought Kinect was. Developers learn from each other and Bioware's Kinect implementation in ME3 is not the last example of this type of "better with Kinect" game we'll see because other developers thought it was cool.

Bethesda is tremendously profitable and their post-launch support is one reason their titles are considered ever-green titles (like many Nintendo releases). Adding Kinect support provided a ton of exposure to a game released 6 months ago and gave people a reason to get back into the game or pick it up for the first time.

No need to invent conspiracy theories just because you personally aren't a fan of Kinect.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Anenome
Autarchist

One of the prerogatives of being the best is that you occasionally get to just kick back and do cool shit. I think this falls into that category.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #26
vallor
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by grognard66 View Post
Yeah, because it's completely inconceivable that Todd Howard and his fellow co-workers just thought this would be a cool thing to do considering Howard has given numerous interviews talking about how cool he thought Kinect was.

No need to invent conspiracy theories just because you personally aren't a fan of Kinect.
No conspiracy theory or even Kinect hatred. If anything I'm pretty ambivilent since I won't be getting the DLC anyway, well I might buy the GOTY edition but I'm pretty Skyrimmed out.

Is it completely inconcievable that I might be boggled they would bother with something like this on their own when they could/should be making money or patching the zillions of bugs remaining in the game?

It isn't cheap to keep a team running for months doing something that will have no material effect on sales (short of bundling Kinect/Xbox). I find it unlikely that a company as apparently as tight fisted as Zenimax would likely to take too kindly to a couple hundred thousand spend when the sales aren't there to back up the feature work. Which circles back to my original point of MS funding this somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
MS paid for Kinect Implementation.
That wasn't in the article. Is there information somewhere else that you've seen? I suspect this is the case because otherwise it seems like an insane move on the part of Bethesda/Zenimax.

Quote:
It was released FOR FREE.
Even more evidence to my original point. Bethesda/Zenimax is heavily focused on profit. You might remember them from one of their recent hits: denying Obsidian a bonus due to a few metacritic points on Fallout: NV? An action that led Obsidian to release a few dozen employees.

Quote:
People are saying BUT OUR DLC was pushed because of "x".
Don't blind yourself to well known business and development principles just because you like Skyrim and the integration. There are n resources. Divert some of them and of course you get less progress on the projects they could have otherwise be working on.

Quote:
No Bethesda when it comes to GOOD TES games they take their time to release DLC...they basicly release a expansion pack rather than 2 hours of gameplay.
Immaterial. If a team that spent two months in design/dev/test on the DLC (or patching out some pretty henious bugs that still exist) instead of Kinect, progress on those projects would be accellerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
One of the prerogatives of being the best is that you occasionally get to just kick back and do cool shit. I think this falls into that category.
Perhaps a company that is independantly flush with money or isn't beholden to a publisher could, but that is pretty rare with internal studios short of a revolt of staff. I doubt anyone said "We're doing Kinect or we're walking!"
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

It's just common sense. MS pays Bethesda and other companies for exclusive (or timed) content. Hey! Remember that thing they did for PC gamers? I bet THAT took time from the team this was a meh source programming at best...not writing a few hours worth of code on hardware that already focuses on movement/voice recognition. Protip look at the patch file itself...
Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #28
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

(this was a meh source programming at best)<----NO EDIT BUTTON.
Quote:

Tags
kinect, skyrim