Yesterday 09:13 PM
9 Replies, 812 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Diablo III - "Perfectly Executed" Interview

Quote:
Diablo III's game director Jay Wilson speaks about why Diablo 3 is an always-online game, criticisms about innovation, comparisons with Torchlight and favorite classes.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
MusicToEat
Soul Reaper

Sounded more like a Marketing Director then a Game Director. His answer on the "Why an always on internet connection" is complete BS. We know why you want an always on internet connection, and it has nothing to do with cooperative gaming and everything to do with preventing used game sales and piracy. Why can't you just come out and say it?

His answer on innovation was pure marketing spiel.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
vallor
Subscriber

What Music said.

Always on was bullshit, lots of games have join-in-progress where you're a more than a minion in someone elses game. Is there LAN play? Why wouldn't the same excuse hold for LAN?

IRT innovation: They remastered a genre with Diablo, why can't they try to do something like that again? Is it creative bankruptcy? Or that deliberate a choice? I have a hard time seeing a pitch that says "It's gunna be just like diablo 2 with different classes and up-rezzed." But they are Blizzard...

/Still looking forward to the game
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Windsong
Evil Dead

Always on...will never be cracked..yada yada.

We'll just see about that
Windsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Sloth
Evil Dead

It's going to be awesome in spite of all the criticisms. Sure it is not innovative, but in this case I don't think it needs to be. People are going to play this like an addiction.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Shatterjack
Knight

It looks pretty good, but permission-to-play is a dealbreaker, at least as far as paying retail goes. Unfortunately this means I likely won't be playing it for several years, if the time it took the second game to hit the bargain bin is any indication.
Shatterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Oh no... did he learn NOTHING from Diablo II? I don't know who they put in charge when D2 came out, maybe its him, and he's going to bring the same stupid decisions forward. Sacrifice things for the sake of online.. there is no real "single player", yada yada yada.

Diablo 1 was already the "perfect" game. All they had to do expand the concept, make it pretty and modern, and more than one dungeon. Instead they went in this multiplayer focused direction with D2 and it sounds like they're sticking to it.

Crap. I am keeping my pre-order for now, but I have a bad feeling I'll be dusting off Titan Quest again a few days after D3 comes out.

Diablo 1 was basically a pretty version of Moria/Angband/Rogue with a story. I want a modern version of that again. Not some wannabe MMO.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Azzy
Cthulian

I would play the absolute shit out of World of Diablo.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
vallor
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Oh no... did he learn NOTHING from Diablo II? I don't know who they put in charge when D2 came out, maybe its him, and he's going to bring the same stupid decisions forward. Sacrifice things for the sake of online.. there is no real "single player", yada yada yada.

Diablo 1 was already the "perfect" game. All they had to do expand the concept, make it pretty and modern, and more than one dungeon. Instead they went in this multiplayer focused direction with D2 and it sounds like they're sticking to it.

Crap. I am keeping my pre-order for now, but I have a bad feeling I'll be dusting off Titan Quest again a few days after D3 comes out.

Diablo 1 was basically a pretty version of Moria/Angband/Rogue with a story. I want a modern version of that again. Not some wannabe MMO.
So... Torchlight 2?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Earth Djinn
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post

If you think D1 was better than D2 then I don't even know what to tell you.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Elysium
Evil Dead

I thought his answer to the innovation question was too modest - Diablo 3 has a completely new take on a skill system that's both robust and flexible, with long term considerations for player empowerment. Blizzard took huge risks on creating something new and it looks like they have pulled it off.

The answer to Torchlight 2 was quite classy actually. He completely avoided stating outright that anything from Runic is just casual fluff with minimal gameplay consideration and lots of copying others (Diablo 2). It was a very diplomatic answer to a pretty ridiculous comparison.
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

^Well said sir.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #15
Radiozo
Evil Dead

12 days left...
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #16
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Wow. Did he just say that the reason there's no Offline SP is because they only considered Co-op when designing the game? Did he just imply that Diablo is an MMO?
Ego.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #17
Trickyicky
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
Wow. Did he just say that the reason there's no Offline SP is because they only considered Co-op when designing the game? Did he just imply that Diablo is an MMO?
Ego.
Yeah, I mean, the director of the project having an opinion of his vision of the game? Who gave him the right? The nerve of some people.
Trickyicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
Sarconix
Radiant Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
The answer to Torchlight 2 was quite classy actually. He completely avoided stating outright that anything from Runic is just casual fluff with minimal gameplay consideration and lots of copying others (Diablo 2). It was a very diplomatic answer to a pretty ridiculous comparison.
Agreed, a classy answer. But I don't find the comparison ridiculous. I get the same kind of enjoyment from Diablo and Torchlight, so a comparison seems appropriate.
Sarconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
MrE
Low Attention Span

I actually liked his Torchlight II comparison, and he stated that he would play both games. Too many times people like to pick a side and say one is better than the other. I for one will buy both and play the shit out of both. Love the genre to death, and I'll do my best to support more ARPG's in the future. Twelve days left!
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
GBSOD
Subscriber

I think Diablo3 is looking great. This guy comes off as a bit of a douche though. "Some pople want to justify their purchases and more power to them", yeah and, cough cough, "I made the monk all by myself".

Tags
blizzard, diablo iii