Last post by PacerDawn
Yesterday 04:22 PM
18 Replies, 1,570 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
PacerDawn
Subscriber

Rock Band for iPhone Ending May 31st

Just saw this over on The Consumerist. Apparently, EA's Rock Band game on the iPhone is going to be shut down come May 31st. People with the game are getting the following message:

No word yet from EA on the reason, but speculation is rampant, from the license to songs ending, to EA shutting down the servers for the app.

Oh, and they continue to sell it in the App Store as well, despite the looming shutdown date.

Let the nerd rage lawsuits begin! Rock out!
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

EA also screwed Need for Speed World players when they made the top tier of parts obsolete.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
davidj.dk
Reaper

i guess if the license to the songs are expiring and they dont want to relicense them, i guess it's alright..

but keep selling the game in the appstore knowing full well the app wont work on june 1st, thats a big FU to people getting it now.. wow.. i would be mad if i bought it and finding out afterwards..
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Meusli
Subscriber

This method works when used against us, all it takes is a couple of journalists to write stories about how entitled we are(yeah right). But for the mainstream this could spell trouble, you buy something you keep it will be their thinking.
Meusli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Sloth
Evil Dead

EA sucks , sounds like a broken record. Yeah this is shitty and a nice fuck you to consumers, but at what point do we carry the burden of responsibility for rewarding EA with money by buying their products? How many times do you need to get burned before you just boycott them?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
laggerific
Evil Dead

I don't see how this could be considered a "licensing" issue. If you purchased the game and associated tracks then you should have the right to use it even after they lose the right to sell it.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laggerific View Post
I don't see how this could be considered a "licensing" issue. If you purchased the game and associated tracks then you should have the right to use it even after they lose the right to sell it.
Unless it has online play that has to be supported by the vendor. If it is a local client, this is the dreaded "Kill switch," in app form.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Antdude
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
EA sucks , sounds like a broken record. Yeah this is shitty and a nice fuck you to consumers, but at what point do we carry the burden of responsibility for rewarding EA with money by buying their products? How many times do you need to get burned before you just boycott them?
You all knew this was coming, EA's been killswitching games for years. This should be no surprise, except for the App Store bait n' switch part. A new low.

I haven't bought an EA title in at least five years. Sure, I've missed a lot of games( I would have liked to play Mass Effect), but I sleep just fine at night and you can too.

You don't have to buy the latest Battlefield title. There are more than enough good games from better publishers to spend your money on out there, like Torchlight II, maybe.

It's your money.
Antdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
vherub
Evil Dead

wonder if ea did a cost-benefit analysis to see if the negative publicity was cheaper than whatever ongoing licensing agreement they had in place. shame these guys own popcap now.
vherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antdude View Post
You all knew this was coming, EA's been killswitching games for years. This should be no surprise, except for the App Store bait n' switch part. A new low.

I haven't bought an EA title in at least five years. Sure, I've missed a lot of games( I would have liked to play Mass Effect), but I sleep just fine at night and you can too.

You don't have to buy the latest Battlefield title. There are more than enough good games from better publishers to spend your money on out there, like Torchlight II, maybe

It's your money.
Very comparable titles. No genre or game-play difference at all, there.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

Why do they block the whole app? Why do you need a connection to a server to play Rock Band (except going to the Song Store)?

In any case, I think EA will soon block access to single-player games after a few years. After all, all you get is a license... so they'll make it expire after 2 years or something like that (think NHL, Madden, etc.)

When that day comes, I will never buy a Battlefield or NHL game ever, even though they are among my favorite games.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
walstib
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Just saw this over on The Consumerist. Apparently, EA's Rock Band game on the iPhone is going to be shut down come May 31st. People with the game are getting the following message:

No word yet from EA on the reason, but speculation is rampant, from the license to songs ending, to EA shutting down the servers for the app.

Oh, and they continue to sell it in the App Store as well, despite the looming shutdown date.

Let the nerd rage lawsuits begin! Rock out!
ah, an all online world.

we are inching ever so ever closer to a model where our only option will be to simply rent our content until such time as the provider decides to pull the plug.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
laggerific
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
ah, an all online world.

we are inching ever so ever closer to a model where our only option will be to simply rent our content until such time as the provider decides to pull the plug.
I know...when I look at the list of games I'm still playing from 20+ years ago, I'm sad for all the kids growing up these days who won't be able to easily go back and relive their experiences that shaped them as gamers.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Nominal
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headline
Electronic Arts still acting like Electronic Arts: People inexplicably continuing to buy EA products OUTRAGED!!!!
You don't HAVE to give them money. Sure, if you did buy this, and you're getting burned on this, that sucks. EA sucks. But now, you KNOW they suck. Stop giving them money.
Nominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
defiant
Evil Dead

I know I should be outraged by this type of contemptuous behavior directed at paying consumers, but I am just really not surprised given that EA is involved.

/shakes head.

Welcome to your digital utopian future.
defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
donkeydrop
Evil Dead

Update: the message was an "error" and all previous statements are no longer operative. In other words some dope at EA got confused; they probably can't sell the game any more since the music license is expiring,but there's no legal reason why you can't continue to play your previously purchased game.
donkeydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
LoTECH
Evil Dead

^haha.
Nerd rage subsides with a whimper
Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

...Y r u playing RB on the fucking iphone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
...Y r u playing RB on the fucking iphone?
This what i want to know. And i want to know why this wasn't the first response instead of all the other BS replies.

Yall duumb.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Either play it on the 360 (where you can find better support/songs/ONLINE THAT WORKS) Ps3 or Wii if you feel bad for yourself...or don't play it at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote