Last post by BalekFekete
Today 06:13 AM
3 Replies, 499 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Dragon's Dogma - Developer Diaries Part 2

Hold the suck please (you have to remind Capcom, they tend to get confused).
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

I tried the demo. Terrible, terrible game. I stick with my western RPGs, thanks. Japan is only good at turn based.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I tried the demo. Terrible, terrible game. I stick with my western RPGs, thanks. Japan is only good at turn based.
I tired the demo and had the complete opposite experience as you. I went from expecting trash to anticipating the game.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
I tired the demo and had the complete opposite experience as you. I went from expecting trash to anticipating the game.
Well, let's see:

The graphics are sub-par.
The story seems generic.
Too much action vs. RPG elements.
Don't care for the "pawn" follower system.
And worst is the combat. It attempts some kind of Shadow of the Colossus or Castlevania Lords of Shadow "climb the monster" mechanic and fails miserably. It shouldn't take half an hour to kill one griffin.

To anyone who doesn't have Castlevania Lords of Shadow, get that instead. It's a much better game, and probably the last good Japanese RPG/action game, not counting Dark Souls. (If you hate torturing yourself, you might want to count it though.)
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

The companions (pawns) need to learn to not talk over each other and wait a little bit before talking again. There was no stop fucking chatter in the demo.

Really, the only reason I see myself playing this game is that you can make a 70lb girl who can wield a massive axe. That shit just brings out the giggles.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Well, let's see:

The story seems generic.
And worst is the combat. It attempts some kind of Shadow of the Colossus or Castlevania Lords of Shadow "climb the monster" mechanic and fails miserably. It shouldn't take half an hour to kill one griffin.

To anyone who doesn't have Castlevania Lords of Shadow, get that instead. It's a much better game, and probably the last good Japanese RPG/action game, not counting Dark Souls. (If you hate torturing yourself, you might want to count it though.)
*The graphics are perfectly acceptable
*There was no story in the demo, it was a 10 minute dungeon run and a 5 minute combat segment.
*Its an Action RPG. It's supposed to be heavy on the action and light on the RPG.
* Enjoyed the pawn system
* Found the combat very entertaining.

The fact is all of your complaints are completely subjective ideas, and not any actual issues with the game itself. There is a difference between terrible and something you simply do not enjoy.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Primus
Valar Morghulis

This game would be awesome to play with a group of friends. The pawn system is gimmicky.

As I said before, the Japanese have no fucking clue what they are doing this gen.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Taiso
Evil Dead

Quote:
Well, let's see:

The story seems generic.

First: LOL

Graphics are great.

Glad to see you were able to extrapolate the entire story from the demo. Please post spoilers.

An action RPG favoring Action over RPG. Why is this a problem?

It's okay if you don't like the pawn system, but how does it make the game bad?

It took me five minutes to kill the griffin, which represents a larger monster in the game and thus, naturally, is a greater threat. Maybe you're the problem, and not the game.

Second: Lords of Shadow was developed by Mercurysteam, who are in Spain. They were hired by Konami to develop the game and then Kojima Productions came in and did a little tweaking here and there.

Check the Wiki.

So not only are your subjective criticisms of Dragon's Dogma invalid and have nothing to do with the quality of the game, but your'e wrong about LoS being 'the last good Japanese action/RPG game because the Japanese had almost nothing to do with the game's development.

LoS is a pretty good game, though.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
FreezaSama
Evil Dead

This is probably my most anticipated game this month. Yes, I want this even more than Diablo III. Shit, I can't stop tweaking my character and pawn in the demo.
FreezaSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
gravlax
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
This game would be awesome to play with a group of friends. The pawn system is gimmicky.

As I said before, the Japanese have no fucking clue what they are doing this gen.
I agree this game screams for multiplayer. The fact that this is the most expensive undertaking in Capcom's history(even produced in-house unlike 99% of Capcom titles being outsourced.) speaks the volume of how lost & confused they are this generation.

The demo felt misguided, outsourced rush job. Don't care much for RPG elements since that's not what Capcom's known for but I expected a lot more from action combat system which turned out to be utterly disappointing.

Putting arbitrary restrictions on combat verbs only makes real-time action slow, boring, and less challenging. Too late to fix but without stamina, combat would flow a lot better. As it stands now, button-mashing combat's just not engaging.

Broken AI for pawn, boss...etc. is all over. For example, griffin boss AI gets confused and refuses to attack. Just sit at one spot and took my arrows to death. Boss fight seems like the most loudly marketed feature yet broken...
gravlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pre-Order placed! I thought the demo was great, I loved the pawn system and I was expecting an action-RPG and that is what I got.

I'm really dying to play some co-op.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Nosfaratus_
Dread Lord

Very interesting combat system, but it is me, or the game have some problems rotating the character when the shield is up.
Nosfaratus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
FreezaSama
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Pre-Order placed! I thought the demo was great, I loved the pawn system and I was expecting an action-RPG and that is what I got.
The only complaint I had about the demo is that it was like, five seconds long. Beyond that, it did a good job of showing off how epic boss battles could be. And the ability to climb around on the larger monsters (not to mention toss around the smaller ones) has me sold.
FreezaSama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capcom, dragon's dogma