Bound by Flame...
Last post by lockwoodx
Yesterday 04:29 PM
12 Replies, 607 Views

Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Saudade
Evil Dead

New computer help

I have been so out of the loop on PCs for a few years now and I am hoping someone can fill in some info for me! I am currently buying a new computer, I already picked up an EVGA 680 GTX video card and need to know which motherboard/cpu won't bottleneck it. i5 or i7 cpu? I don't know the difference or if there is a big difference between the two.

I am going to buy 16gigs of RAM with a decent SSD and HDD w/ PSU & Case.

I know ASUS is a good brand and I am particular to Intel/Nvidia chipsets.

Is a Blu-ray player even worth it or should I just stick to my DVD burner for now?

I do buy through newegg.com so I will be picking up most or all items from there.

Any tips or recommendations would be so appreciated. Thank you!
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Saudade
Evil Dead

I will make this easier for those in the know since I can do all the searching for deals online myself:

1) What I have zero knowledge in is sufficient case cooling, do I need to purchase anything but stock fans for the 680 GTX? Or can I just use it without extra cooling? I never overclock anything, I have no desire to and I won't be bothering with SLI. In the same boat, once I add in a SSD/HDD, PSU, CD burner, Sound Card, etc. do I need more cooling than what comes with the case?

2) Is there anything I need to watch out for in choosing a motherboard, cpu, memory? I always fear of choosing components and mistakenly purchasing a MB that won't work right with the other hardware.

3) Is the i7 cpu a better option than the i5 for gaming and photoshop (which is what I will mostly use the pc for)?

I plan on spending more than 2-2.5k on the system.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

1. Schwa? You won't buy a fan for the GPU, only the CPU. Are you going to play games for hours on end? Probably good to buy a better fan then.

2. Yeah, CPU and memory need to be correllated. Triple clock CPU needs triple clock memory paired in three, for instance. Also, you need to buy all your memory as a single paired unit at once, not three separate not designed to go together.

Buy a name-brand, good motherboard. Asus or Gigabyte.

3. I hear the i7 is amazing, but haven't done research lately.
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Saudade
Evil Dead

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to hear. =D

I have heard of liquid cooling for video cards as an example .. er may have been for casing. I can't remember. I just know that some people go way out of their way to deep freeze their uber systems =p I wasn't sure if I needed more cooling for buying a top of the line card.

I generally don't play games for hours on end anymore after I finally cut the cord to WoW. I will be playing a lot of Diablo 3 though. I don't see D3 being to hard on the video card, heh. My gaming sessions last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours on average, will be more with D3 but not by much and not everyday.

I will be running a dual monitor setup eventually.

Any recommendations on what PSU wattage I should shoot for?

Thanks for the timing info, I completely forgot about that!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Syl
Evil Dead

Go for the new core i5 3850k? I think it is. Whatever the Ivy bridge is that correlates to the Core i5 2500k.

Motherboard wise i'd go for Asus, Gigabyte, EC

You want a Z77 chipset, for multiple reasons, don't get anything lower than a Z77.

Here are a few links to help you out, simply because i read through them recently.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...tels-new-cpus/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/30/which-ssd/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-motherboards/

Case wise, i know you want a 680 and a core i5, so you're going to need a decent sized case. Any style preferences that you can think of?

PSU wise you'll probably be looking at a 650-750watt depending upon a few different component choices.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Power supply is an issue. I'd go for a 750 or 800 for the average power-system.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Case wise, i know you want a 680 and a core i5, so you're going to need a decent sized case. Any style preferences that you can think of?
See that's the thing, I have no idea about cases. What I can tell you is that I couldn't care less about how snazzy a case looks. I don't need an expensive case from the looks alone, I just want a decent case with room for additional components if need be and decent air flow.

I just read something about Ivy Bridge is preferred for the 680 gtx... pretty much greek to me though.

Thanks for the links, I will read through them tonight!

Thanks for the PSU watt recommendations, will look into it more so.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Power supply is an issue. I'd go for a 750 or 800 for the average power-system.
A 750 or 800 is for a well ABOVE average system. TDP on processors, motherboards and GPUs has been dropping like crazy. I have a 650watt power supply, and I have a power hungry 140w Phenom II X4 (More power than any current non-overclocked processor), an older chipset, 5 mechanical harddrives, two DVD burners and an extra powered usb hub, i used to rock a 4870 (one of the most power hungry videocards of all time, uses more power than a GTX 680 and equal to a 7950) and 4 120mm case fans, a 200mm case fan and an oversized cooler on both my videocard and CPU. Everything ran flawlessly. (I'm now running a considerably less power hungry AMD 7850 and i traded one of the harddrives for an SSD)

Getting a stable power supply is far better than simply more watts. I highly suggest Corsair power supplies, try to get one that is 80+ GOLD certified.

Have you ever built a computer before? This is the last question before i can start giving out some case ideas. Also, total budget?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Saudade
Evil Dead

I have built before so I learn fast. The last one I built was back in 2008 so I am really rusty. I gathered the parts from an old post here and put it together from newegg. It is still running great with only the old 8800gt dying on me. Currently rocking a 9800gtx heheheh.

I am going to go with Ivy Bridge 3.4 i7-3770 with 16gig (2x8) of Corsair Vengeance 1600. I am still looking blindly at motherboards and I am also concerned with reading about the X79 Asus Z77 motherboard not being pci-e 3.0? I am just getting into the difference of 2.0 to 3.0 and brain dead.

Edit: Do all the slots need to be filled with ram or can I still just put 2 dimms in and fill the empty slots later? For budget really isn't a concern. This will be a system that will last me the next 4-5 years hopefully. Around $1800-3000ish but $800+ or so will be for a nice IPS 27" monitor.

Last edited by Saudade; 04-30-2012 at 08:33 PM..
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Syl
Evil Dead

The difference between PCI-E 3.0 and 2.0 is pretty much meaningless at the moment. Nothing really uses PCI-E 3.0 yet, the only videocards that do are the AMD 7xxx series and the GTX 680, and even they won't use all the bandwidth.

Basically, PCI-E 3.0 isnt something to worry about at the moment.

You can totally only use 2 sticks of ram, but i suggest that you use 3 sticks of ram with a core i7 because its triple channeled. I'd probably go with 12 gigs instead of 16 gigs and use 3 sticks. It'll probably cost considerably cheaper anyway and unless you do some insane rendering you won't ever notice the lost 4 gigs. I even think 12 gigs is overkill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131821
^I'm very partial to this motherboard, i'd LOVE to rock one myself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121605
^Intel makes extremely stable equipment, this one looks good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131823
^I also rather like the layout of this one.

Last edited by Syl; 04-30-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Saudade
Evil Dead

Thanks Syl! You are a time saver!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Syl
Evil Dead

I just happen to be up to date with the ivy bridge processors, i've been reading a lot of reviews on them since they came out. Pure curiosity.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
Saudade
Evil Dead

One last question, I can't seem to find info on using 3 dimms for the i7-3770. It says dual channel:
"Integrated Memory Controller: Supports 2 channels of DDR3‐1600 memory with 2 DIMMs per channel. Support for memory based on the Intel Extreme Memory Profile (Intel XMP) specification."

Where did you read about 3?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Syl
Evil Dead

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of more expensive i7's. The one that you're looking at is certainly only dual channel. In that case i'd use either 2x 8 gig or, honestly, i'd go for 4x 4 gig sticks. You won't need more than 16 gigs of ram and 4x 4gig sticks is probably considerably cheaper than dual 8 gig. Make sure you get 1600mhz ram.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
Saudade
Evil Dead

Yeah, I am double checking everything before purchasing late tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the spec updates, helped this old bastard a ton.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #16
Anenome
Autarchist

I have 8 gig ram, wish I'd gone for more. But, i'm a bit of a power user.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #17
AlfredT
Evil Dead

My 2c. Just a reminder make sure you use a x64 OS, or else theres no point in getting more than 4GB if Ram.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_7
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
My 2c. Just a reminder make sure you use a x64 OS, or else theres no point in getting more than 4GB if Ram.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_7
Yeah, I went x64 with the computer I am using now and I will never go back to 32. I am surprised the industry hasn't tried shifting everything toward x64 faster. What is the point of hanging onto 32 now?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Damn I need to stop going out so I don't miss great threads like this. The only 2c I can chip in by now is I'd highly suggest a 2gb video card. That's the only "real" bottleneck atm for systems and make sure it's not a 1x1 card either. 80+ Gold PSU is a must as others have mentioned and the Rosewill Lightning series is nothing short of spectacular. As for motherboards I'm going to suggest ASRock because mine has been running hassle free for me almost 6 months now which is a small miracle for mobos these days. (amd ones at least) Make sure no matter which board you purchase that you look up which ram the manufacturer suggest. ASRock takes Kingston HyperX for the most part.

edit: Oh, expect to have to overclock your ram no matter which brand you buy. Fuckers never EVERRRRRRRRRR give you 1600mhz out of the box and most BIOs's are too shy to do it for you.
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Syl
Evil Dead

He already said he's going for a GTX 680 for the videocard, so that won't be a bottleneck.

I've been too busy to make a case recommendation, but i'll have one up sometime.

Tags
halp im a rock!, hot nerd talk