Last post by lockwoodx
Today 09:37 AM
5 Replies, 583 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #41
Peelzbury
Evil Dead

heh, to chimp and evil :

It may hurt to realize this but the main reason ppl 'dont care for pvp' in an mmo is because You Are Bad At It.

Please accept this.

It's as the Pope said. Pve is the place that baddies who wish they were good at pvp waste their time and compare notes as to who :

- watched how the fight was done on youtube
- followed the lead of train blazing *world first* legions who posted said video the best
- downed the boss first
- got luckiest with the drop rate.

no offense to any of you as you are probably all decent gamers in your own right but...

I realized back when i was a kid that the AI of a computer game is only so challenging - that's why 2 player games were always More Fun than single player.

MMOs are the natural evolution of that thinking.
For all of you to come play one, only to engage in co op vs AI Scripts is *cool - and can definitely be fun the first few times; Sadly you are missing out on the most dynamic content an mmo can offer - and that is PVP.

I realize i'm coming off as insulting - but it's time you pve heroes open your eyes and accept reality.

also one quick question : all of you that prefer pve to pvp. You Have pvped before right?

Was it fun?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #42
Sloth
Evil Dead

Baghdad Bob also had this to say "I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."

Bioware shouldn't try to explain or massage the numbers. Look the MMO market is dwindling as a whole. Plus a new game is always popular, even in the boom era of MMOs. What companies should be asking themselves is why should players invest years of their life into another MMO?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #43
ldi222
Subscriber

I for one am happy that this MMO nonsense seems to be losing steam. I however am also very excited about Guild Wars 2.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #44
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelzbury View Post
heh, to chimp and evil :

It may hurt to realize this but the main reason ppl 'dont care for pvp' in an mmo is because You Are Bad At It.

Please accept this.

It's as the Pope said. Pve is the place that baddies who wish they were good at pvp waste their time and compare notes as to who :

- watched how the fight was done on youtube
- followed the lead of train blazing *world first* legions who posted said video the best
- downed the boss first
- got luckiest with the drop rate.

no offense to any of you as you are probably all decent gamers in your own right but...

I realized back when i was a kid that the AI of a computer game is only so challenging - that's why 2 player games were always More Fun than single player.

MMOs are the natural evolution of that thinking.
For all of you to come play one, only to engage in co op vs AI Scripts is *cool - and can definitely be fun the first few times; Sadly you are missing out on the most dynamic content an mmo can offer - and that is PVP.

I realize i'm coming off as insulting - but it's time you pve heroes open your eyes and accept reality.

also one quick question : all of you that prefer pve to pvp. You Have pvped before right?

Was it fun?
I've PVP'ed enough in the seven years I've played WoW; it's certainly fun enough, but its not meaty enough to hold my attention long enough to dedicate my playtime to it. I'm by no means the best, but I'm certainly not the worst. I hold my own.

You can say I'm bad at it all you want...it doesn't change anything, nor does it make your stance any more correct or less inflammatory.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #45
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
heh, to chimp and evil :

That simply isn't true, because I don't play PvP. Never have. Don't give a rats ass about it. Never did.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #46
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
That simply isn't true, because I don't play PvP. Never have. Don't give a rats ass about it. Never did.
I agree, I tried PVP once, and really it was lame.

At one point in WOW, I had some guy getting his rocks off because he was stalking some lower level guys. Boy, takes some major balls to attack a level 20 when you are a 60.

And really, I know that there are people on there that spend every waking moment on the game, and will have better equipment than me. Doesn't mean I suck at it. It just means that I dont pride my life on it. Nor do I even care for it.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #47
Chief Smash
Excitement's my game

Quote:
I think you're really projecting here. I agree with Evil. People like PVE because they like to explore new areas, not because they wish they were good at some other part of the game. Games are not just about "beating" something. A lot of people like new games because they like seeing new things, new art, new music, and some semblance of a new story.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #48
Ozymandis
Reaper

Quote:
heh, to chimp and evil :

Please accept this.
So it is impossible to just not be interested in PvP? Sorry, but I play MMOs because I like the idea of a band of adventurers taking down a baddie with teamwork. I've always loved co-op games, even FPSes, although I've played my share of competitive shooters and enjoy those too.

PvP in MMOs is lame. The gameplay typically isn't deep enough to support long-term commitment based on PvP alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
MMO's are a dying breed...that is fueled today by people who aren't very good at games and people who wish they could have fun like they did when they started with Evercrack.
This is a troll but I'll bite- I've played MMOs for a long time, like many people here. Individual MMOs get stale, the gameplay is repetitive by design, but the draw is the social aspect. Because they are persistent worlds with a personalized avatar, the social aspect in MMOs trumps other genres. At least that's my take on it.
Ozymandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #49
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I, for one, am a PVE and co-op addict. WoW was the best of the best. L4D comes pretty close. Firefall's looking promising. Yada.
Guild Wars 2 "nails it" but give that one a month or so to cool down after launch because it is going to have some MAJOR growing pains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #50
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
We will really know if they are, if they state that they are going free to play... Which I think will happen once Guild Wars 2 comes out.
I'm surprised nobody has corrected you yet on this, because neither guild wars title have ever mentioned a subscription model. Guild Wars 2 is going the cash shop route.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #51
Sloth
Evil Dead

My concern with Free to Play MMOs is the inevitable nickel and dime DLC that will come. You want a new dungeon? Pay 5 dollars.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #52
MrE
Low Attention Span

I finally quit after the release of the 1.2 patch. At the end of the day, it just didn't keep my attention or interest. I think that while the story for each character is interesting, its a single player game that has the MMO elements tacked on top. And while the story and immense dialog trees were impressive, it was still locked to the damn "destroy 5 of these towers" or "kill 10 republic guards and his elite boss" quests. I think I'm done with that game mechanic and it took me several MMOs to come to this conclusion.

That, and the servers are barren. Try to find a PuG and you will be waiting around a long ass time.
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #53
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
I'm surprised nobody has corrected you yet on this, because neither guild wars title have ever mentioned a subscription model. Guild Wars 2 is going the cash shop route.
I didn't think it was really that hard to follow. But allow me to break it down for you.

We will really know if they are, if they state that they are going free to play...
We (gamers) will know if they (Star Wars) are (losing subscribers), if they (again Star Wars) state that they (again Star Wars) are going free to play...

Which I think will happen once Guild Wars 2 comes out.

Which I think will happen (the act of going free to play for STAR WARS) once Guild Wars 2 comes out.

None of this was stating that GW had a subscription model. Its free to play, that is known, I was strictly speaking about Star Wars, you know, what the article is about.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #54
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I think you're really projecting here. I agree with Evil. People like PVE because they like to explore new areas, not because they wish they were good at some other part of the game. Games are not just about "beating" something. A lot of people like new games because they like seeing new things, new art, new music, and some semblance of a new story.
PVP'ers will never understand what PVE'ers enjoy about it because they are PVP'ers.

If you PVP, then PVP and stop concerning yourself with the PVE'ers. I never undrstood why you need to worry about what others enjoy about a game.

Like you stated, PVE'ers dont need to play against others. There are other parts of the games to enjoy. A MMO, I enjoy looking at the world, finding that next boss, finding that next area, seeing what it looks like, what it brings, how you interact with it. I dont care about fighting another person. To me, in an MMO thats lame. I dont enjoy it, its not fun, it doesn't function very well, its just a bore, but the world, that doesn't get old.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #55
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post
At some point, MMO companies are going to realize that "level-based" gameplay is a stalling mechanism. These games are all about the end-game. So why not spend 90% of your assets on the end-game and 10% on the tutorial, instead of 90% on the leveling content, which most people will experience some small fraction of exactly once?
It's been realized. Go take a look at Global Agenda, which flips levelling on its head immediately. Coming from WoW and other RPGs, it didn't make a lot of sense at once.

At level 1, you're already fully powered and can do every raid, dungeon, pvp, etc. Gaining a level doesn't make you do more damage or anything.

So, you literally jump into the game at endgame. Levelling has only some utility, the ability to use better items you are always finding or getting dropped.

I really, really like GA's timed raids. Every 75 minutes they have a massive raid that people queue to sign-up for. It's like a 20+ man WoW raid, except you don't have to get a group together for it. The timer does it for you, including system-wide alerts to sign up when the timer gets close.

I ended up putting together a guild of the best PVE players I could find and we topped all the kills and damage charts on every raid--no one could touch us
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #56
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
heh, to chimp and evil :

Chicken or the egg. You're not likely to get good at something you don't enjoy and vice versa.

Realize that pvp is a fairly recent invention. Pvp really takes off with the invention of the fps, gaining popularity roughly with Goldeneye.

I think you should just accept that people have differing values and concepts of fun and that's going to lead to different tastes in gaming. I've always preferred coop. Done plenty of pvp in a wide range of genres, but very little of it actually grabbed me and held me, certainly not WoW-pvp.

I really, really liked Splinter Cell's pvp. I can destroy anyone in Smash Bros--my brother and I had a rivalry in that game that took us so far into the stratosphere that I've never met another person who can challenge me in it. He's just a bit better than I am (largely because of the age difference and him having way more time to practice). But, as proof I'll give this story. By the time that game's vogue was ending, my bro was earning cash by betting people at his high school $50 a head in a 3 vs 1 against him, and he would play Jigglypuff--and he'd destroy them consistently ;;;>_>

So, long story short, I don't think you're correct in casting pvp as the only gaming content worth playing. I primarily enjoyed raiding in WoW, and there is was all about excellence in playing your class, and raiding cooperatively was about getting everyone on the same page. Pvp in WoW is about comparative strategy, what your class can do against any other class you might be up against.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #57
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Guild Wars 2 "nails it" but give that one a month or so to cool down after launch because it is going to have some MAJOR growing pains.
Oh yeah, GW2 is already a guaranteed sale from me I refuse to play another fantasy mmo with a monthly sub, and GW2 looks like the perfect WoW substitute.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #58
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
My concern with Free to Play MMOs is the inevitable nickel and dime DLC that will come. You want a new dungeon? Pay 5 dollars.
That's not been my experience. You pay money in Global Agenda not for content but for "cool things" like sweet helmets, slightly faster levelling and other things like that which don't affect gameplay. They'd be dumb to split the playerbase. But, some companies and smarter than others.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #59
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
None of this was stating that GW had a subscription model. Its free to play, that is known, I was strictly speaking about Star Wars, you know, what the article is about.

For some reason I've been reading your posts lately with the same kind of selective hearing I use with women.

My bad
Quote:
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #60
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
For some reason I've been reading your posts lately with the same kind of selective hearing I use with women.

My bad
Thats your decision not mine. If you dont read everything, the only person to blame is yourself.

Tags
bioware, haters gonna hate, johan reborn, star wars, the old republic