MankoChu
(\(˘o˘)/)

Exclamation

but-but-but..

MankoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #42
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Moar like...Valve isn't creative enough to continue a story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #43
Anenome
Autarchist

Valve never made HL3 for two reasons:

1. The HL story was never created to be resolved. It was created to service the gameplay. Thus, even if they did create a 3 they would have no choice but to leave the story unresolved yet again.

Do they really want fans mad at them for not explaining all the mysteries the story created, which is why you guys are asking for a HL3 in the first place.

No, they don't. Better to leave desire unfulfilled than to convert it into user-base anger by pulling a Lost.

2. Gabe's philosophy on making games internally is that his devs largely get to do whatever interests them. Making HL3 wasn't interesting. Instead they made the absolute classic L4D1&2 which I personally will be playing for many years to come.

Thus, only a LFD3 could interest me. They could change the gameplay signficantly by adding new special-infected types. There's a lot of room for expanding and changing the nature of co-op FPS by doing so. They revamped the entire co-op experience and breathed new life into my favorite shooter genre: co-op.

If they brought back HL3, how do they move shooters forward as a genre? Turn it into a co-op shooter?

There's got to be an angle on the new if Gabe's going to greenlight it. He's not pushing his people into doing something just to wring money out of a property without creative thrust behind it anymore.

And besides, Gabe became a game dev to do things differently, to -not- suck cash out of market properties just because the market wants them thus driving them into the fucking floor (Tomb Raider anyone?).

No HL3! No TF3!

Maybe a L4D3, but I doubt it, it's pretty much perfect now.
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Anenome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #44
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Instead they made the absolute classic L4D1&2 which I personally will be playing for many years to come.
Turtle Rock Studios was developing L4D before Valve acquired them. Only L4D2 was done internally through the whole process, but at some point during, 'Valve South' was shut down and Turtle Rock Studios reformed as an indie studio. They have a Cryengine 3 title being published by THQ in the works.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #45
Nosfaratus_
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post

1. The HL story was never created to be resolved. It was created to service the gameplay. Thus, even if they did create a 3 they would have no choice but to leave the story unresolved yet again.

Do they really want fans mad at them for not explaining all the mysteries the story created, which is why you guys are asking for a HL3 in the first place.

No, they don't. Better to leave desire unfulfilled than to convert it into user-base anger by pulling a Lost.

2. Gabe's philosophy on making games internally is that his devs largely get to do whatever interests them. Making HL3 wasn't interesting. Instead they made the absolute classic L4D1&2 which I personally will be playing for many years to come.

Thus, only a LFD3 could interest me. They could change the gameplay signficantly by adding new special-infected types. There's a lot of room for expanding and changing the nature of co-op FPS by doing so. They revamped the entire co-op experience and breathed new life into my favorite shooter genre: co-op.

If they brought back HL3, how do they move shooters forward as a genre? Turn it into a co-op shooter?

There's got to be an angle on the new if Gabe's going to greenlight it. He's not pushing his people into doing something just to wring money out of a property without creative thrust behind it anymore.

And besides, Gabe became a game dev to do things differently, to -not- suck cash out of market properties just because the market wants them thus driving them into the fucking floor (Tomb Raider anyone?).

No HL3! No TF3!

The story does not need to be resolved, and they may have more ideas then coop, if not, they just need to get a good writer and game designer. And when you have a good card you used at the right time, you can put out all the L4D they want, but in the end will be HL3 all the way. The time has come.
Nosfaratus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #46
Syl
Evil Dead

I would love for this to be a new IP that just happens to have a "3" in the name. Something like "Three Days Left" or "36 Starfighters"

(Awful names, i know)
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #47
MankoChu
(\(˘o˘)/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post

No HL3! No TF3!

Yeah, well, you can keep blowing Gabe all you want. I want Half Life 3. I don't need or want the story to end, I just want to get back into that world.

I would be just as happy with Portal 3. =D
MankoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #48
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Halflife 3 for sure
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #49
Nosfaratus_
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I would love for this to be a new IP that just happens to have a "3" in the name. Something like "Three Days Left" or "36 Starfighters"

(Awful names, i know)
Good point, that would be very interesting.
Nosfaratus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #50
Reckless Aband0n
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrick View Post
ill be happy with anything with a 3 in it from them. Except Team Fortress 3.
I agree. I love me some Portal and L4D so I'd be happy with either but I'd like to see HL3 the most. It really is time...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #51
hurstshifter
Dread Lord

I'm thinking it will be a new IP. They are trying to trick us into thinking Portal 3, TF3, or Half-Life 3/Episode 3 are coming. If it is Portal 3 I am going to rage.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #52
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I hope it's not a TF3 also because TF2 really is perfection for it's own niche of class based FPS games. The cell shading ages well, the mechanics are fluid, it runs on just about any piece of junk, and MOARHATZ keep things fairly fresh. It's like the FPS version of diablo 2 imo and valve should get at least a decade out of it before considering a makeover.
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #53
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...mean-ricochet/

Guess he was just in some podcast going on about "Ricochet 2", links included in article. man I can already feel my hopes rising, regardless of my trying to keep them under control.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #54
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenus View Post
In fact, I'll name my first son, Black Mesa, if it's not Half Life 3!
I think "Cave Johnson" would be a far better choice, personally.
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #55
vallor
Evil Dead

It'll be a 3 pack of already released games. Like Orange Box. Called Valve 3 or something like that. I've given up hope on Halflife 3.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote