Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
EA Delays Battlefield...
Last post by rubbishfoo
Today 06:52 AM
42 Replies, 875 Views
HOW TO Catalog Your Games
Last post by lockwoodx
Today 06:52 AM
13 Replies, 754 Views
Farming Simulator 15...
Last post by rubbishfoo
Today 06:50 AM
3 Replies, 492 Views
Crysis 3 & Ryse...
Last post by JazGalaxy
Today 06:38 AM
9 Replies, 569 Views
Firefall - Kanaloa Titan...
Last post by Wolfe
Today 04:44 AM
3 Replies, 374 Views
Hearthstone: Curse of...
Last post by Terran
Today 04:43 AM
2 Replies, 174 Views
Guardians of the Galaxy...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 04:42 AM
1 Replies, 223 Views
The Destiny Beta is Back...
Last post by Paranoia
Today 03:59 AM
17 Replies, 865 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #41
MankoChu
(\(˘o˘)/)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 122
Exclamation

but-but-but..

MankoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #42
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead
 
Agnostic Pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16,283
Blog Entries: 23
Moar like...Valve isn't creative enough to continue a story!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Another golden AP quote. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #43
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 40,362
Blog Entries: 57
Valve never made HL3 for two reasons:

1. The HL story was never created to be resolved. It was created to service the gameplay. Thus, even if they did create a 3 they would have no choice but to leave the story unresolved yet again.

Do they really want fans mad at them for not explaining all the mysteries the story created, which is why you guys are asking for a HL3 in the first place.

No, they don't. Better to leave desire unfulfilled than to convert it into user-base anger by pulling a Lost.

2. Gabe's philosophy on making games internally is that his devs largely get to do whatever interests them. Making HL3 wasn't interesting. Instead they made the absolute classic L4D1&2 which I personally will be playing for many years to come.

Thus, only a LFD3 could interest me. They could change the gameplay signficantly by adding new special-infected types. There's a lot of room for expanding and changing the nature of co-op FPS by doing so. They revamped the entire co-op experience and breathed new life into my favorite shooter genre: co-op.

If they brought back HL3, how do they move shooters forward as a genre? Turn it into a co-op shooter?

There's got to be an angle on the new if Gabe's going to greenlight it. He's not pushing his people into doing something just to wring money out of a property without creative thrust behind it anymore.

And besides, Gabe became a game dev to do things differently, to -not- suck cash out of market properties just because the market wants them thus driving them into the fucking floor (Tomb Raider anyone?).

No HL3! No TF3!

Maybe a L4D3, but I doubt it, it's pretty much perfect now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Meta View Post
Now this point definitely can't be argued.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #44
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll
 
Capt_Thad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 4,750
Quote:
Instead they made the absolute classic L4D1&2 which I personally will be playing for many years to come.
Turtle Rock Studios was developing L4D before Valve acquired them. Only L4D2 was done internally through the whole process, but at some point during, 'Valve South' was shut down and Turtle Rock Studios reformed as an indie studio. They have a Cryengine 3 title being published by THQ in the works.
__________________
NNID/GfWL: CaptThad - Raptr - Steam ID
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #45
Nosfaratus_
Dread Lord
 
Nosfaratus_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ašores - Portugal
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Valve never made HL3 for two reasons:

1. The HL story was never created to be resolved. It was created to service the gameplay. Thus, even if they did create a 3 they would have no choice but to leave the story unresolved yet again.

Do they really want fans mad at them for not explaining all the mysteries the story created, which is why you guys are asking for a HL3 in the first place.

No, they don't. Better to leave desire unfulfilled than to convert it into user-base anger by pulling a Lost.

2. Gabe's philosophy on making games internally is that his devs largely get to do whatever interests them. Making HL3 wasn't interesting. Instead they made the absolute classic L4D1&2 which I personally will be playing for many years to come.

Thus, only a LFD3 could interest me. They could change the gameplay signficantly by adding new special-infected types. There's a lot of room for expanding and changing the nature of co-op FPS by doing so. They revamped the entire co-op experience and breathed new life into my favorite shooter genre: co-op.

If they brought back HL3, how do they move shooters forward as a genre? Turn it into a co-op shooter?

There's got to be an angle on the new if Gabe's going to greenlight it. He's not pushing his people into doing something just to wring money out of a property without creative thrust behind it anymore.

And besides, Gabe became a game dev to do things differently, to -not- suck cash out of market properties just because the market wants them thus driving them into the fucking floor (Tomb Raider anyone?).

No HL3! No TF3!

Maybe a L4D3, but I doubt it, it's pretty much perfect now.
The story does not need to be resolved, and they may have more ideas then coop, if not, they just need to get a good writer and game designer. And when you have a good card you used at the right time, you can put out all the L4D they want, but in the end will be HL3 all the way. The time has come.
Nosfaratus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #46
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,270
Blog Entries: 1
I would love for this to be a new IP that just happens to have a "3" in the name. Something like "Three Days Left" or "36 Starfighters"

(Awful names, i know)
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #47
MankoChu
(\(˘o˘)/)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Valve never made HL3 for two reasons:

1. The HL story was never created to be resolved. It was created to service the gameplay. Thus, even if they did create a 3 they would have no choice but to leave the story unresolved yet again.

Do they really want fans mad at them for not explaining all the mysteries the story created, which is why you guys are asking for a HL3 in the first place.

No, they don't. Better to leave desire unfulfilled than to convert it into user-base anger by pulling a Lost.

2. Gabe's philosophy on making games internally is that his devs largely get to do whatever interests them. Making HL3 wasn't interesting. Instead they made the absolute classic L4D1&2 which I personally will be playing for many years to come.

Thus, only a LFD3 could interest me. They could change the gameplay signficantly by adding new special-infected types. There's a lot of room for expanding and changing the nature of co-op FPS by doing so. They revamped the entire co-op experience and breathed new life into my favorite shooter genre: co-op.

If they brought back HL3, how do they move shooters forward as a genre? Turn it into a co-op shooter?

There's got to be an angle on the new if Gabe's going to greenlight it. He's not pushing his people into doing something just to wring money out of a property without creative thrust behind it anymore.

And besides, Gabe became a game dev to do things differently, to -not- suck cash out of market properties just because the market wants them thus driving them into the fucking floor (Tomb Raider anyone?).

No HL3! No TF3!

Maybe a L4D3, but I doubt it, it's pretty much perfect now.
Yeah, well, you can keep blowing Gabe all you want. I want Half Life 3. I don't need or want the story to end, I just want to get back into that world.

I would be just as happy with Portal 3. =D
MankoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #48
Radiozo
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden, Europe, Earth
Posts: 1,246
Halflife 3 for sure
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #49
Nosfaratus_
Dread Lord
 
Nosfaratus_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ašores - Portugal
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I would love for this to be a new IP that just happens to have a "3" in the name. Something like "Three Days Left" or "36 Starfighters"

(Awful names, i know)
Good point, that would be very interesting.
Nosfaratus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #50
Reckless Aband0n
Soul Reaper
 
Reckless Aband0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: 10 Miles High
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrick View Post
ill be happy with anything with a 3 in it from them. Except Team Fortress 3.
I agree. I love me some Portal and L4D so I'd be happy with either but I'd like to see HL3 the most. It really is time...
__________________
The kingdom of fear needs compliance to succeed
Reckless Aband0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #51
hurstshifter
Dread Lord
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 141
I'm thinking it will be a new IP. They are trying to trick us into thinking Portal 3, TF3, or Half-Life 3/Episode 3 are coming. If it is Portal 3 I am going to rage.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #52
lockwoodx
Photobomber
 
lockwoodx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on tap
Posts: 23,568
Blog Entries: 2
I hope it's not a TF3 also because TF2 really is perfection for it's own niche of class based FPS games. The cell shading ages well, the mechanics are fluid, it runs on just about any piece of junk, and MOARHATZ keep things fairly fresh. It's like the FPS version of diablo 2 imo and valve should get at least a decade out of it before considering a makeover.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #53
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll
 
Capt_Thad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 4,750
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...mean-ricochet/

Guess he was just in some podcast going on about "Ricochet 2", links included in article. man I can already feel my hopes rising, regardless of my trying to keep them under control.
__________________
NNID/GfWL: CaptThad - Raptr - Steam ID
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #54
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!
 
gzsfrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 8,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenus View Post
In fact, I'll name my first son, Black Mesa, if it's not Half Life 3!
I think "Cave Johnson" would be a far better choice, personally.
__________________
360 Gamer Card: GzsFrK2
PSN ID: GzsFrK
iOS Game Center: GzsFrK
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #55
vallor
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,912
It'll be a 3 pack of already released games. Like Orange Box. Called Valve 3 or something like that. I've given up hope on Halflife 3.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 AM.