Hatred is Back on Steam
Last post by MusicToEat
Today 03:53 PM
28 Replies, 2,363 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
GhostSaint
Soul Reaper

Origin is to Steam as the Apple Store is to Best Buy. Origin and Steam have two fundamentally different business models, so while on the surface they seem similar, comparing them is apples to oranges.

Origin is EA's attempt to cut out the retail middle-man and capture the associated dollars.

Steam's intent is and has always been to provide an online marketplace for games.

Do you see any third party titles on Origin? Your not going to. Ever.
GhostSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
idolminds
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostSaint View Post
Origin is EA's attempt to cut out the retail middle-man and capture the associated dollars.

Steam's intent is and has always been to provide an online marketplace for games.
Er, so they both aim to be online marketplaces that cut out the retail middle-man and capture the associated dollars?

Quote:
Do you see any third party titles on Origin? Your not going to. Ever.
Well, actually...
idolminds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

I would not mind Origin so much if it was not used as always on DRM. After getting booted from the Battlefield 3 solo campaign several times I stopped buying games from EA.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
Azrael
Subscriber

Its all the exclusive titles that annoys the crap out of me. EA is releasing a lot of games i'd love to play on my chosen platform... Steam. But since they are refusing to put anything on steam these days i'll just save my $$ for other games.

I don't care if origin exists, i don't care if they do well or not. I just want the games available through my preferred service.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #25
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Its all the exclusive titles that annoys the crap out of me. EA is releasing a lot of games i'd love to play on my chosen platform... Steam. But since they are refusing to put anything on steam these days i'll just save my $$ for other games.

I don't care if origin exists, i don't care if they do well or not. I just want the games available through my preferred service.
I think we all agree however I wish all games were offered this way, to include BF3, Portal/HL/CS, etc... DRM free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome
It [DDoS] may be illegal, but should it be? Where's the actual damage?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #26
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
Johan would start insulting you as he made his points. At this point of the thread, I see no such evidence.
Johan insulted people? I thought he was just "insulting" in general. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
lockwoodx
Photobomber

As Venom has improperly quoted and sig'd me (lulz), I'd like to point out that Origin is mandatory because EA forced anyone who ever tried their games digitally to have an account. Steam has always been 100% optional. They don't phish your shit and convert your info into Steam accounts. You either check them out or not, unlike EA where you magically get emails asking you to update your Origin info when you've never even heard of Origin. LOL

and I made the Johan comment because venom started playing the semantics game by breaking down every little thing into it's own argument. I don't do that with kids (or kids pretending to be adults) because the more opinions that get tossed around, the more facts get blurred. I stick by bold statements that make their points up front, and if they don't get it that's there problem not mine.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #28
idolminds
Squire

Steam is 100% optional as long as you completely avoid playing any game where its usage is mandatory.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by idolminds View Post
Steam is 100% optional as long as you completely avoid playing any game where its usage is mandatory.
Exacccctlllyyyyyy
Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #30
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

<--- Got a steam account when he had to register one to play multiplayer.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #31
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Exactly! Nobody is forcing you play that game.

EA on the other hand is like "Ohai remember us from a decade ago? Guess what you're an Origin user now bwahaha!!!"
Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
idolminds
Squire

EA is forcing people to play their games?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #33
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
EA is forcing people to play their games?
No, EA forced Origin accounts on anyone who's played their games before Origin existed. You still don't have to use Origin if you dislike it, but they took your personal info and created accounts with it. That's douchebag 101.
Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #34
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Exactly! Nobody is forcing you play that game.

EA on the other hand is like "Ohai remember us from a decade ago? Guess what you're an Origin user now bwahaha!!!"
If Valve had a different account system before Steam, then it would've been upgraded to Steam accounts. If you recall, they used to run their games on WON, and shut that down and forced everyone to switch to steam accounts.

Quote:
Valve shut down the last of its WON servers on July 31, 2004, officially killing the remnants of WON. All online portions of Valve's games were transferred to their own Steam system. The announcement disappointed some of the long-time Half-Life and Counter-Strike players who held it in high esteem for being, at the time, more efficient in terms of speed and system resources than Steam.
Games you bought years prior to Steam's release were forced to be run on the new system.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
lockwoodx
Photobomber

lol this is fish in a barrel. Anyone else?
Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #36
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
If Valve
Stopped reading there.
Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #37
Rommel
International Playboy

1. First, Origin is doing something very well--they are capturing a lot of dollars from Valve, who can no longer take their pound of flesh on new EA titles

2. Johan was a useless poster, but not because he was insulting or cruel. Rather, the single thought that would rattle through the cavernous void between his ears was purporting his spending philosophy. That thread about the announcement of a Valve game associated with the number 3? Needs a post waiting for it to hit $20, I say. A comparison between two characters? Which of them are in games available for $20? Its a novel concept, saying the exact same thing twenty-thousand times in a row, but I found it annoying.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #38
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Games you bought years prior to Steam's release were forced to be run on the new system.
Ok I'll reply to this because I'm a nice guy, but your context is way out of whack with that quote because that's when Valve broke off from their big publisher and struck out on their own. Of course people/fans would have to follow them and adapt to a new system.

It was voluntary for gamers who "wanted" to follow Valve based on their own merits, instead of a big publisher like EA forcing previous customers to "adapt" to their new system Origin whether those gamers were still customers or not.

I've made my point so many times in this thread now it's ad nauseum so my reply to anyone else trying to spin it that Valve is the same as Origin or just as evil as origin is a perfect example of this....

Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #39
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
I believe Valve made it so if you wished to upgrade to CS 1.6 you had to go through Steam right?

I am not calling Steam evil, nor is Capt Thad I believe but to act like Valve made Steam completely out of some huge favor to "gamers" is insane. Steam is a money making machine. It's DRM, it was completely broken for a long time after launching, it was "forced", it does strip the user of ownership that gamers have collectively taken for granted.

Steam has some great sales and thus far hasn't been crushing gamers hopes and dreams as a whole that I have seen/read about (there have been a few reports of having one's account banned, etc but who knows and it seems rare if true). Now that has been the views of the pro Steam side. Steam and Origin are both DRM, Steam is forced in the very same way that Origin is forced. Valve does not allow other digital delivery services to sell it's titles.

Both systems are a step back for gamers. The most "progressive" system I have seen for digital delivery is GOG. As they even go as far as to have the same prices world wide, Steam does not do that (I don't know if Origin does but I would assume they don't).

Pretending that Steam is this perfect system that is for the gamer by the gamer is drinking the Kool-aid. Despite popular belief.. Valve's shit stinks too.
Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #40
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
Ok I'll reply to this because I'm a nice guy, but your context is way out of whack with that quote because that's when Valve broke off from their big publisher and struck out on their own. Of course people/fans would have to follow them and adapt to a new system.

It was voluntary for gamers who "wanted" to follow Valve based on their own merits, instead of a big publisher like EA forcing previous customers to "adapt" to their new system Origin whether those gamers were still customers or not.
Valve had bought WON a few years before that point, they were the full owner of the service when they shut it down. That is why they were able to shut it down. Were they breaking away from themselves? In addition to being unable to play multiplayer, you couldn't update your games, because the new system (steam) was the official patching system.

It was only 'voluntary' in the sense that there were pirate options for people unwilling to upgrade, or you could just avoid multiplayer and game updates altogether. If you didn't change over though, you weren't playing in a manner supported by Valve.

It was an easy upgrade for me, but there was a pretty big upset about it. Huge gamer outcry about how Valve abandoned us by trying to force players to use their new bloatware. I'm not saying they were wrong for doing it, I'm just providing a counterpoint to the points you presented against Origin.

Tags
electronic arts, gabe newell, origin, valve