Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Geek Love > PC Hardware and System Building

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
PS4 is Top-Selling...
Last post by Jhooud
Today 06:40 AM
21 Replies, 845 Views
D23 Leaks Disney...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 06:17 AM
3 Replies, 411 Views
New Monitor
Last post by BeachGaara
Today 06:14 AM
14 Replies, 533 Views
PlayStation 4 Passes 7...
Last post by SaintBlitzkrieg
Today 06:12 AM
28 Replies, 1,105 Views
Risen 3: Titan Lords -...
Last post by dirtbag
Today 05:28 AM
6 Replies, 487 Views
Van Helsing II - Steam...
Last post by Mix-Master
Today 05:07 AM
6 Replies, 414 Views
Dynasty Warriors 8:...
Last post by AspectVoid
Today 04:37 AM
3 Replies, 355 Views
ZeniMax Trademarks Nuka...
Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 11:52 PM
8 Replies, 625 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #21
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 6,099
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but newegg is kind of a joke now that they sell everything. (lol jewelry)

Also you're not going to find anything that can run the witcher 2 on ultra for under 250.

This is your best shot, after using the Bios hack. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150549

edit: and this one blows a 7850 away due to the stream processors. Best card on the market atm for the money.
The 7850 is superior the the 6950 in every single benchmark. The amount of stream processors isn't the only thing that matters. Also the 7850 takes about 2/3 the power of a 6950 and the card itself is physically only about 2/3 the size. Likewise

Also my 7850 runs the Witcher 2 on ultra without AA perfectly fine. Not to mention not everyone wants to risk a BIOS hack that has a chance of failing and completely bricking the card and voiding the warranty.

Also newegg prices for the cards are absolutely comparable to every single other place I looked. Lower than most.

I did my research, in depth, before i bought my 7850, I read about 20 benchmarks and checked the prices at roughly 10 sites. You are making an assumption that the 6950 WILL bios unlock, and even then you are making the assumption that the 7850 won't overclock, and 7850s are amazing overclockers.

Still nothing could possibly make the 50+watt power difference between the two cards, and i'll go with the newer, more power efficient architecture every time. Especially considering the massive gains it made for reasons not directly related to FPS.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #22
lockwoodx
Photobomber
 
lockwoodx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on tap
Posts: 22,377
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
The 7850 is superior the the 6950 in every single benchmark. The amount of stream processors isn't the only thing that matters. Also the 7850 takes about 2/3 the power of a 6950 and the card itself is physically only about 2/3 the size. Likewise

Also my 7850 runs the Witcher 2 on ultra without AA perfectly fine. Not to mention not everyone wants to risk a BIOS hack that has a chance of failing and completely bricking the card and voiding the warranty.

Also newegg prices for the cards are absolutely comparable to every single other place I looked. Lower than most.

I did my research, in depth, before i bought my 7850, I read about 20 benchmarks and checked the prices at roughly 10 sites. You are making an assumption that the 6950 WILL bios unlock, and even then you are making the assumption that the 7850 won't overclock, and 7850s are amazing overclockers.

Still nothing could possibly make the 50+watt power difference between the two cards, and i'll go with the newer, more power efficient architecture every time. Especially considering the massive gains it made for reasons not directly related to FPS.


Suit yourself if you like to play it safe.
I get the most value out of my products because in all honestly, none of this junk is meant to last more than 2 years anyways.
__________________
Steam: lockwoodx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #23
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 6,099
Blog Entries: 1
My last videocard lasted me over 3 years, Even then it was still working perfectly adequately until Battlefield 3 came out. I expect this one will be similar. We've reached a point in a computer life cycle where upgrades aren't truly necessary.

Likewise, when you take "value for products" the money saved from the power cost of a 7850 over a 6950 or gtx 560ti is substantial. Likewise the fact that the 7xxx series is dx11.1 compatible means that its a bit more futureproofed than the 6950. The drivers are also going to improve as the rest of the product line comes down the chain.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
lockwoodx
Photobomber
 
lockwoodx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on tap
Posts: 22,377
Blog Entries: 2
Yeah ATI cards are hot noisy power hogs that's fo shizzle. Mah sexy beast I have clocked into space runs almost at a constant 67 C. Doubles as a space heater in the winter
__________________
Steam: lockwoodx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 6,099
Blog Entries: 1
They were hot power hogs, the new 28nm process that the 7xxx series are running is incredible at a power ratio. The 7870 pumps out more than twice the performance than my old 4870 at less power and 1/100th the idle power. I'm curious if this is going to be reflected in my power bill. Admittedly, the new nvidia cards should have similar power gating and power performance whenever they come out.

The GTX 680 is a little more power hungry than the 7970, but it's also a little bit more powerful. Luckily the 7970 just got a price reduction that moves it below the 680 and into the correct price/performance power ratio.

Still a $$$ above MY price though...

Last edited by Syl; 04-19-2012 at 06:14 AM..
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #26
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but newegg is kind of a joke now that they sell everything. (lol jewelry)
I went back to tiger after there was an issue with my visa being declined and locked out a couple years ago at newegg. Just never really cared to deal with fixing it. I didn't know they were selling jewelry. Dang.
__________________
"There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery.
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.