Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 11:52 PM
8 Replies, 625 Views

Old 04-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #21
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but newegg is kind of a joke now that they sell everything. (lol jewelry)

Also you're not going to find anything that can run the witcher 2 on ultra for under 250.

This is your best shot, after using the Bios hack. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150549

edit: and this one blows a 7850 away due to the stream processors. Best card on the market atm for the money.
The 7850 is superior the the 6950 in every single benchmark. The amount of stream processors isn't the only thing that matters. Also the 7850 takes about 2/3 the power of a 6950 and the card itself is physically only about 2/3 the size. Likewise

Also my 7850 runs the Witcher 2 on ultra without AA perfectly fine. Not to mention not everyone wants to risk a BIOS hack that has a chance of failing and completely bricking the card and voiding the warranty.

Also newegg prices for the cards are absolutely comparable to every single other place I looked. Lower than most.

I did my research, in depth, before i bought my 7850, I read about 20 benchmarks and checked the prices at roughly 10 sites. You are making an assumption that the 6950 WILL bios unlock, and even then you are making the assumption that the 7850 won't overclock, and 7850s are amazing overclockers.

Still nothing could possibly make the 50+watt power difference between the two cards, and i'll go with the newer, more power efficient architecture every time. Especially considering the massive gains it made for reasons not directly related to FPS.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #22
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
The 7850 is superior the the 6950 in every single benchmark. The amount of stream processors isn't the only thing that matters. Also the 7850 takes about 2/3 the power of a 6950 and the card itself is physically only about 2/3 the size. Likewise

Also my 7850 runs the Witcher 2 on ultra without AA perfectly fine. Not to mention not everyone wants to risk a BIOS hack that has a chance of failing and completely bricking the card and voiding the warranty.

Also newegg prices for the cards are absolutely comparable to every single other place I looked. Lower than most.

I did my research, in depth, before i bought my 7850, I read about 20 benchmarks and checked the prices at roughly 10 sites. You are making an assumption that the 6950 WILL bios unlock, and even then you are making the assumption that the 7850 won't overclock, and 7850s are amazing overclockers.

Still nothing could possibly make the 50+watt power difference between the two cards, and i'll go with the newer, more power efficient architecture every time. Especially considering the massive gains it made for reasons not directly related to FPS.

Suit yourself if you like to play it safe.
I get the most value out of my products because in all honestly, none of this junk is meant to last more than 2 years anyways.
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #23
Syl
Evil Dead

My last videocard lasted me over 3 years, Even then it was still working perfectly adequately until Battlefield 3 came out. I expect this one will be similar. We've reached a point in a computer life cycle where upgrades aren't truly necessary.

Likewise, when you take "value for products" the money saved from the power cost of a 7850 over a 6950 or gtx 560ti is substantial. Likewise the fact that the 7xxx series is dx11.1 compatible means that its a bit more futureproofed than the 6950. The drivers are also going to improve as the rest of the product line comes down the chain.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Yeah ATI cards are hot noisy power hogs that's fo shizzle. Mah sexy beast I have clocked into space runs almost at a constant 67 C. Doubles as a space heater in the winter
So, confession time. I've had lockwoodx on ignore for years. I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
Syl
Evil Dead

They were hot power hogs, the new 28nm process that the 7xxx series are running is incredible at a power ratio. The 7870 pumps out more than twice the performance than my old 4870 at less power and 1/100th the idle power. I'm curious if this is going to be reflected in my power bill. Admittedly, the new nvidia cards should have similar power gating and power performance whenever they come out.

The GTX 680 is a little more power hungry than the 7970, but it's also a little bit more powerful. Luckily the 7970 just got a price reduction that moves it below the 680 and into the correct price/performance power ratio.

Still a $$$ above MY price though...

Last edited by Syl; 04-19-2012 at 06:14 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #26
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but newegg is kind of a joke now that they sell everything. (lol jewelry)
I went back to tiger after there was an issue with my visa being declined and locked out a couple years ago at newegg. Just never really cared to deal with fixing it. I didn't know they were selling jewelry. Dang.