30 Replies, 1,389 Views
Bound by Flame...
Last post by Mr. Lake
Today 10:41 AM
14 Replies, 787 Views

Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
Zelos
Zoidberg

Makes you wish we had more cel-shaded games.

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
Makes you wish we had more cel-shaded games.
We have oodles. We have few good ones.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #23
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
We have oodles. We have few good ones.
That's because the masses refuse to play anything these days that isn't as close to photo-real as tech allows. I remember when they announced WW was going to be cel-shaded, and internet forums erupted and said that the game would be a failure because it would have crappy visuals. People refuse to give alternative-graphics games a chance, for the most part.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #24
laggerific
Evil Dead

One of the few late gen Zelda's I bothered to complete. First time I tried to play it, I really found the water to be full and lifeless. I put it down for a year or two, even though I bought it day one.

I then forced myself to sit down and really give it a shot. I remember I was tooling around the water when I got caught in a massive tornado. I resigned myself to getting sucked into it and dying when I noticed a little guy dancing around the winds. I had a few arrows left and decided to take some shots. Miraculously I managed to hit it with one, and all of a sudden the game transformed. No longer did I have to slowly travel the map;I could warp around. And then I actually began to not mind the ocean, and began to notice some nice touches, like the treasure and the coin trails, and just the awesomeness of the travels.

At the time I thought it was one of the best games ever despite having a super short view...the world would go blurry just feet from link.

Years later I decided to give it another playthroughusing dolphin, and I was extremely pleased to discover that you could remove that and not only have the game in HD widescreen...minus a stretched HUD...so the world was crystal clear as far as the eye could see, and man did the little details begin to pop...blades of grass shorn by the sword or flowers smashed to pieces showed the constituent parts float to the ground. Some of the most subtle but effective details of that generation of games, and from the GameCube no less. And don't get me started on the weather. The rain and thunderstorms, clouds and all were, and still are stunning. There is nothing like cruising on the water as rain whips by your boat.

This is my favorite Zelda of all time, and It will likely remain so until they drop their stupid and supposed "one to one" control scheme. Currently savoring my 2nd playthrough, so that it lasts, because I doubt I'll ever see a Zelda as perfect as this again.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
That's because the masses refuse to play anything these days that isn't as close to photo-real as tech allows. I remember when they announced WW was going to be cel-shaded, and internet forums erupted and said that the game would be a failure because it would have crappy visuals. People refuse to give alternative-graphics games a chance, for the most part.
My note about their being few good cell-shaded games included WW. I hated it.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #26
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
My note about their being few good cell-shaded games included WW. I hated it.
Therefore your opinion on anything, ever, is void. =p
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Heh Wind Waker was the last great Zelda title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
hurstshifter
Dread Lord

While I enjoyed The Wind Waker, I don't think it was the best of all Zelda titles. In my opinion, The Ocarina of Time still bears that torch. My favorite Zelda will always be A Link to the Past though.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #29
Elrik Murder
Hero in a Half-Shell

I loved this game. Rented it from Movie Gallery (wow!) and beat it in 5 days. Returned it, and actually went out and bought it just so I could play it again. My only real regret is not preordering it for that awesome bonus.

Any serious thoughts on Skyward Sword? I'm interested to read what you guys have to say about it. I'm torn. Some things are great and others...well, frankly, they leave me scratching my head. I really enjoy the swordplay. Yet, some of the other controls just don't work (minigames especially); and the harp is a colossal wasted opportunity. I do not understand why it is so downplayed when you compare it to the Ocarina or the Wind Waker. It's also odd having only 1 city.

I do like the story and some of the characters however. The upgrade systems is great. I was getting sick of always carrying a full wallet in and around Hyrule. Lastly, I enjoy navigating the sky almost as much as the sea. There are nice little touches everywhere. It is amazing the detail put into these games. There are quests you wouldn't even know about if you didn't periodically visit each floating island.

"A guarentee from Gamestop is like a guarentee from a hooker; someone always gets screwed." ~Sandman
Elrik Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #30
automaton
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstshifter View Post
While I enjoyed The Wind Waker, I don't think it was the best of all Zelda titles. In my opinion, The Ocarina of Time still bears that torch. My favorite Zelda will always be A Link to the Past though.
Then don't sell yourself short. I think Link to the Past is the best Zelda game. It was what the original Legend of Zelda game should have been if you could have made it bigger and with better graphics. Ocarina was awesome, but LttP is the best.

I've been playing a bunch of Skyward Sword. I'm NOT a fan of that game. If it were anything else other than a Zelda game I would probably have put it down by now. There is so much padding in that game it is ridiculous. I absolutely hate the motion controls. I find myself fighting the controls as much as I fight the enemies. And the game is pedantic to the point of absurdity. They over explain everything and I don't need to be told about bugs and trinkets every time I pick one up.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #31
Froggy
Developer

No Zelda game compares to our fond memories of playing Zelda games. Cynicism! That being said, WW is my favorite.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #32
Rommel
International Playboy

Oh yeah, forgot to say it:

Celda.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #33
dr_wily
Evil Dead

wind waker > ocarina of time

there i said it
gamertag: cisownz
dr_wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #34
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
No Zelda game compares to our fond memories of playing Zelda games. Cynicism! That being said, WW is my favorite.
Engh, that's partially true. But at the same time, Zelda is almost 100% different than it used to be. It's just a different game. I say no Zelda game compares to Zelda 1 because Zelda 1 was the Skyrim of the NES. And, thusly, I find Skyrim to be much more of a direct sequel than, say, Skyward sword.

(Emerge from a cave and you can go in any direction. Discover dungeons by just running across them as you explore the world. get quests from random people you meet. Etc.)
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #35
ElPresidente
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_wily View Post
wind waker > ocarina of time

there i said it
There, I agreed with it.

Writer for the Australian gaming magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper.

Oi! Someone done stole my pink!
ElPresidente is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legend of zelda, nintendo, the wind waker