Last post by KlausFlouride
Today 01:09 AM
3 Replies, 919 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Wasteland 2 Nearing Final Hours, A Few Updates

Wasteland 2 has less than 35 hours to go until it successfully meets its Kickstarter goal, and some new developments have come up.

First, InXile has added a number of bonuses to the $30 tier. These rewards include a second copy of the game for any format (Windows, Mac or Linux), an extra set of character portraits for your desert rangers, a four episode video development blog, and a novella set in the Wasteland universe written by Chris Avellone.

Second, InXile will host a live stream tomorrow starting at 7 PM pacific time. In addition to throwing a party to celebrate the game's successful funding, they will also be answering questions from viewers. Attendees will include Atari founder Nolan Bushnell, Chris Avellone, and some "surprise guests". Brian Fargo will give out the stream address tomorrow afternoon on the Kickstarter page and his Twitter.

Lastly, No Mutants Allowed reports that Uningine's CEO Denis Shergin has offered to support the game by giving InXile a free license to use their engine.

Last edited by randir14; 04-15-2012 at 07:06 PM..
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Syl
Evil Dead

Oh yeah, i should put some money into this.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

God damn it. I've just started a new job & won't be paid until the end of the month. Anyone wanna donate in my name for reimbursement at the end of this month?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Thank you everybody. I can only hope I will like Wasteland 2 as much W1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Verocity
Dread Lord

Kicked $50 their way. Good times playing this game on my parents old IBM PS2 30/286. Next time I go over to visit them I need to see if I can find the original box and contents for this game. Might be packed in the crawl space with all my old transformers.
Verocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Out of curiosity, from a business perspective, with so many people kicking in $15+ for the game, once they spend the money on development costs, what do they project their income to be from sales? I mean, a lot of the people that would be day 1 purchasers have essentially bought the game. How many people do they project will be paying full price for it at release? With the amount of money already donated, are they already "profitable"?

I guess it means that as opposed to paying off debt from sales, they funding it through sales, but its a pretty massive shift in the way the money moves. Interesting to think about if you have a background in business.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Also, when I watch some of the videos of the people in charge of the projects on a lot of Kickstarters, I'm not surprised that they haven't found funding. Some people I think just don't know how to sell themselves well, but have a good product, and these are ones I'm tempted to and sometimes do fund. But there are others that are so unprofessional and scattered, that I'm amazed they had the discipline to even get the Kickstarter set up in the first place.

Protip: if you're going to make a video where you get as many takes as you want to make it perfect, MAKE IT PERFECT. Don't stumble over what you're saying, or contradict yourself, or have massive pauses and say "...so...yeah. You should totally support us."
Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
Out of curiosity, from a business perspective, with so many people kicking in $15+ for the game, once they spend the money on development costs, what do they project their income to be from sales? I mean, a lot of the people that would be day 1 purchasers have essentially bought the game. How many people do they project will be paying full price for it at release? With the amount of money already donated, are they already "profitable"?

I guess it means that as opposed to paying off debt from sales, they funding it through sales, but its a pretty massive shift in the way the money moves. Interesting to think about if you have a background in business.
Well so far there are 55,000 people who have basically pre-ordered the game. That's a big number, but I think there are even more who haven't backed it because they don't want to risk their money until the game is actually released. If the game turns out good it'll be those people who buy it at full price and make the company their profit.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
sfoxe
Squire

The 'Uningine' news is interesting. A fully realtime 3D engine that supports photorealistic graphics.... for a top-down isometric RPG? That could make things VERY interesting indeed. Be interesting to see if they take up the offer.
sfoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
randir14
Subscriber

One benefit is it's compatible with all platforms they're planning to release the game on.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #11
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
Well so far there are 55,000 people who have basically pre-ordered the game. That's a big number, but I think there are even more who haven't backed it because they don't want to risk their money until the game is actually released. If the game turns out good it'll be those people who buy it at full price and make the company their profit.
The fundamental difference I see is that these aren't pre-orders, really. They're pre-payments. No further money is coming from these people (for the most part).

Ultimately as long as they produce it for less than they've raised, and live life comfortably until then, it's a success. It's just a completely different way of looking at the business.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Evil_SPanKY
It aint easy being cheezy

Just decided to pledge $30 myself. Why not, most games cost more than this in the first few months of release anyways, and I LOVED Wasteland back in the day!
Evil_SPanKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Larnek
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
It's just a completely different way of looking at the business.
Yep. There are no developing costs to recover, because the costs were pre-paid. If it releases, sells nothing, but stays on budget while paying for a studio to run for over a year, it is still a win for them.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
dirtbag
野郎

I kicked in $100 for reviving a part of my childhood C64 memories.

I'd put in double for someone credible who will redo Legacy of Ancients or Phantasie III.

http://diplodan.wordpress.com/
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
Syl
Evil Dead

I put in $50 before the last moment. I'll take a cloth map please.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
randir14
Subscriber

They just finished their live stream party and they said production on the game begins tomorrow. Kickstarter combined with their Paypal pledges they have over $2,900,000, and I know there is more money coming in from sites like RPG Codex which have raised $10,000. I hope InXile reaches 3 million since that will guarantee mod tools.

Tags
inxile, wasteland 2