Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Fremder
Lord

Looper Trailer

Fremder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
automaton
Evil Dead

Rian Johnson (the director) is the shit. Anyone having no idea who he is should immediately watch "Brick" and "The Brothers Bloom." I absolutely cannot wait to see this.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

Wow, that is an impressive premise Do want.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

I'm very confused by how exactly that all works, but I'd love to see it.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Looks good. More dubstep I see!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Been hearing about this for some time. Glad to see it's not long away.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Duskfire
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton View Post
Rian Johnson (the director) is the shit. Anyone having no idea who he is should immediately watch "Brick" and "The Brothers Bloom." I absolutely cannot wait to see this.
Yup, very good director! Brick especially I thought was absolutely amazing. Completely took me by surprise.

The idea is interesting as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Korialstrazs
Evil Dead

Fuck time travel.
Korialstrazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
RMan
Evil Dead

Premise seems a bit goofy TBH, but I dig Bruce Willis, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really great too (liked him alot in Lookout). So, interested in this one pretty much for the cast.
RMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMan View Post
Premise seems a bit goofy TBH, but I dig Bruce Willis, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really great too (liked him alot in Lookout). So, interested in this one pretty much for the cast.
I like the implication that JGL becomes Bruce Willis as he grows up. Willis is getting old. We need someone to replace him when he retires.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
Anenome
Autarchist

If he's old, that implies he survived the assassination attempt by his younger self. Just dumb luck really. The rest becomes trying to kill whoever tried to kill him using him :P
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Him being old doesn't imply he (willis) survives the assassination attempt by himself (levitt). It implies he (levitt) lives another 30 years. The paradox of the movie being that he (levitt) needs to be killed as a punishment for not killing himself (willis).

Prediction: he (levitt) ends up on the run for 30 years until they catch him (now willis), and send him (willis) back in time to be executed, creating an endless loop for him (levitt-willis) while not actually affecting the rest of the world.
Also: it was all a setup, possibly by levitt-willis, because every other victim is sent back with a head covering, why wasn't he?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

If time is fatalistic, Levitt doesn't need to do anything, since he lives another 30 years.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
MrButtons
Reaper

Anything with Bruce Willis who gets to shoot at people is good in my books.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
If time is fatalistic, Levitt doesn't need to do anything, since he lives another 30 years.
Time travel makes it inherently non-fatalistic.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
Cygnus
Evil Dead

Looks interesting. I like time travel movies.

I support Johan's support of my support of his support of the OWS movement.
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
Him being old doesn't imply he (willis) survives the assassination attempt by himself (levitt).
Course it does. He could not have become old had he not first lived through the same events as a kid. He doesn't suddenly have a new past because of time travel, his older self already remembers living through these events as a kid. He just had different motivations then.

And we don't really know from that trailer whether he recognizes himself as his older self when he goes to kill him the first time, we only know that he fails to kill what he may later discover to be his older self.

Quote:
It implies he (levitt) lives another 30 years.
You kinda have to survive the attempt on your life to live 30 more years. I think you must be assuming that time travel can create a new past for someone, but this position on time-travel is illogical. I subscribe to the idea that time travel cannot create a new past theory and thus the past cannot actually be changed. Clearly you do not, so we'll agree to disagree on that one :P

Quote:
The paradox of the movie being that he (levitt) needs to be killed as a punishment for not killing himself (willis).
We don't know that. Sounds like his future self was sent back and just randomly got assigned to kill himself. That would be pretty funny tho to get sent back for not killing a mark that was himself. You're right that conflict is implied in there but I'm not sure it's correct just yet.

Quote:
Prediction: he (levitt) ends up on the run for 30 years until they catch him (now willis), and send him (willis) back in time to be executed, creating an endless loop for him (levitt-willis) while not actually affecting the rest of the world.
This is a pretty common misconception about time travel, but, there are -no- endless loops created in time travel. I say this as someone who's studied the topic deeply and currently writing a novel with a time travel element. Whatever theory of time travel you want to subscribe to, there are still no endless loops.

I used to think endless loops existed too, when first watching Bill & Ted's, you might think an endless loop of them meeting themselves was created in the beginning.

However, from their perspective they first met their older selves, then met their younger selves, and went on with life. No endless loop.

Endless loops are only apparent to outside observers but in fact are not created. If you draw out the timeline of someone meeting themselves in the past, it's not an endless loop that's created, just a single loop, a bending back of the older person's timeline which then continues as normally.

Which is to say you haven't created a new timeline for your younger-self by meeting yourself. It's all contiguous. Draw it out, seriously. The older person's timeline pinches back to meet his younger self, but then continues on. No loop at all.

Quote:
Also: it was all a setup, possibly by levitt-willis, because every other victim is sent back with a head covering, why wasn't he?
Very good question. His older self was clearly ready for what was about to happen.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Time travel makes it inherently non-fatalistic.
Not true. He's right, time travel to be cogent must be fatalistic, in the sense of "it couldn't have happened that way unless you'd traveled back in time and tried to interfere' or w/e.

The other theory of time is the idea of it creating new pasts which then lead to new futures. This is a more naive theory, imo, but is perhaps more fun to write about.

Since any future already incorporates all past events, time-travel must be fatalistic. There's nothing anyone can do in the past that therefore hasn't already happened and created the future we currently live in. Thus the future-revision idea is flawed.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

http://www.mjyoung.net/time/

does a better job of explaining what I started at. Loops can happen, although the term "endless" was slightly misleading, I admit. The "endless" aspect of it comes from the fact that because he was sent back from the future, when he grows up, he will be sent back from the future. His personal timeline is continuous, but that loop "happens over and over" while really only happening once.

It also explains how time travel is non-fatalistic, but how changing the timeline creates different "unstable" timelines, before they finally reach a point of stability where we see an appearance of fatalistic futures. It is possible for Willis to kill Levitt, it just means that it is not the "final" timeline, and that something in the post-Levitt-death will happen to go back once more and stop that killing, even though in a sense, the killing happened.

Basically, multiple time-travel trips occur prior to the events we see in the movie that establish the baseline for the movie, but in reality, they happen simultaneously with the movie, and we just see the final result. His analysis of 12 Monkeys and the first Terminator are the best examples of this. Multiple timelines are created, but they all stabilize after the events to a single timeline, resulting in no multiple futures.

I think we crossed over each other though, because I don't understand where you're getting the idea that Willis was sent back to kill Levitt. It seems like the mob is trying to kill Levitt for not killing Willis, and Willis is just trying to not get killed by either of them. Why would Willis be sent back to kill Levitt?

It's pretty heavily implied through the eye contact that he recognizes himself, as well as through the voice-over. I would be amazed if in the movie he just happens to not kill a mark once, and it just happens to be himself.