Last post by Blog
Yesterday 09:36 PM
4 Replies, 662 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Legend of Grimrock is Profitable, Patch Coming Soon

The Legend of Grimrock team has updated their blog with a list of changes that will be in the upcoming patch. They also say the game has already turned a profit, which means the company's future is secure. Here are the patch notes:

Quote:
- vsync is enabled by default
- borderless windows are no longer topmost
- pressing ESC closes character sheet
- fixed unlimited frost arrow exploit
- bug fix: topmost menu item don’t work reliably in 25601440 resolution
- bug fix: wall text translations are not dismissed when right-clicking
- bug fix: inanimate objects can be backstabbed
- bug fix: projectiles go through doors in some very rare cases
- improved display resolution auto-detection at first launch
- fixed a couple of typos
- removed check that disables high texture resolution setting when running low on video memory (some graphics drivers seem to report available video memory incorrectly)
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
sfoxe
Squire

Excellent news for a company that has created something special. Really enjoying the game, and it's encouraging to see the community getting behind them.
sfoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoxe View Post
Excellent news for a company that has created something special. Really enjoying the game, and it's encouraging to see the community getting behind them.
I agree, it's the best $12 I've spent in a long time. I already beat the game, though I admit I had to look at a walkthrough in some cases.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
ElPresidente
Evil Dead

Oldschool mode anyone?

Awesome game. Just loving the wonderful nostalgia is causes to flood my system upon every boot-up.

Writer for the Australian gaming magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper.

Oi! Someone done stole my pink!
ElPresidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
davidj.dk
Reaper

Pick it up people..

This is such an awesome game, and i hope to get even more content down the road.. kudos to the guys for creating a killer experience..
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
Phinor
Evil Dead

As someone who never could get into Dungeon Master and other such games, I still recommend Grimrock to just about everyone. They kept most of the essentials intact, but made few changes to improve gameplay. Obviously there's few things that I'd like changed but I'm really enjoying the game. Indie game of the year so far.

I still have no desire to play Dungeon Master, though.
Phinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
serioustommy
Evil Dead

exploiting nostalgia seems popular nowadays. This type of games went out of fashion for a reason. Good for them that it works out this time but I don't think people will buy into it again. Hope they'll come up with something fresh and not just copying some old game mechanics the next time as they seem pretty talented.
serioustommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Wolfe
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by serioustommy View Post
Hope they'll come up with something fresh and not just copying some old game mechanics the next time...
Seems to be working rather well for Activision with the CoD crap so far ;-)
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
ldi222
Subscriber

It's great to have this kind of experience in todays gaming world. I think this proves a lot of 80's and 90's style games are set to make a comeback in a very polished way from smaller studios and I'm all for it.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Vesuvius
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by serioustommy View Post
exploiting nostalgia seems popular nowadays. This type of games went out of fashion for a reason. Good for them that it works out this time but I don't think people will buy into it again. Hope they'll come up with something fresh and not just copying some old game mechanics the next time as they seem pretty talented.
These went out of fashion for a reason, but they were also popular for a reason and that reason wasn't just the hardware limitations of the time.

Grimrock is a ton of fun and a steal for the price. It's an immersive labyrinth- the gameplay is filled with puzzles, exploration, and a claustrophobic fight to stay ahead of your ever dwindling resources...

It's simplicity gives it that immersion. Too many games would bring you out of the experience, with vendors who don't belong there who argue static prices and will buy anything no matter how worthless, or by providing too many NPCs such that the dialogue gets repetitive and you see them as bots rather than as characters- or just by having NPCs whose behavior is not convincing, which is very hard to do.

I'm very pleased that they picked an enjoyable core experience and did it very well rather than try to be everything to everyone. It's a great niche and they've done a lot of subtle tweaking to improve on it's predecessors.

It deserves all the great reviews it's been getting.
Vesuvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
ldi222
Subscriber

Some of these genres went out of fashion not because they weren't relevant and fun but as a result of technology forced "innovations" that made them appear obsolete. How long after the 3D revolution did it take to rediscover 2D platformers or fighting games? Its about time grid based dungeon crawlers and for that matter top down isometric viewpoints made their way back into gaming. As amazing as Skyrim was, managing a party with tactical combat was not one of its strong suits, in fact, Im kind of sick of playing every RPG these days as a solo character in first person view.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
TUT
Evil Dead

I'll buy into it again. That said, there is room to take this in several other directions. This was a DM clone, EOB's were more combat based for example. But the people are speaking and they are saying "More!".
TUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
Cygnus
Evil Dead

I'd like to see this comes to XBLA

I support Johan's support of my support of his support of the OWS movement.
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
Sobran
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldi222 View Post
Some of these genres went out of fashion not because they weren't relevant and fun but as a result of technology forced "innovations" that made them appear obsolete. How long after the 3D revolution did it take to rediscover 2D platformers or fighting games? Its about time grid based dungeon crawlers and for that matter top down isometric viewpoints made their way back into gaming. As amazing as Skyrim was, managing a party with tactical combat was not one of its strong suits, in fact, Im kind of sick of playing every RPG these days as a solo character in first person view.
One hundred times, this. The new Fallout games were impressive and fantastic. However, while it scratched my itch for the setting, it didn't do the same for the genre. I want some tactical combat. Honestly, that's what has me so excited for the Wasteland sequel.
Sobran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Windsong
Evil Dead

Really underwhelmed with this game. Seems the effort to payoff is a bit unbalanced. On level 7 now and wondered why I spent an hour clearing out the slime dungeon several levels ago for a...regular non-magic crossbow? Seriously? Waste..of..time.

DungeonMaster was far more enjoyable.
Windsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legend of grimrock