Last post by Phoenix1985
Today 08:44 AM
22 Replies, 1,374 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Devil May Cry - Public Enemy Trailer

Dante reprises his role as a "known sexual deviant" in Devil May Cry.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
darkwarrior
Evil Dead

Looks like the vocal crowds had some influence, the stuff Ninja Theory were showing initially looked nothing like that.
darkwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
sai tyrus
Evil Dead

Sexual Deviant or Child Molestor?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

huh. I had thought he was going to be a salty english bastard ala spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This american teenager from 1985 thing is new...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
KingFire
Reaper

The gameplay looks slow as fuck.
KingFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFire View Post
The gameplay looks slow as fuck.
I agree. It does not look fun at all.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Froggy
Developer

Is that you Dr. Chase?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

The fuck is this shit? It looks like a parody of a UPN sitcom with terrible voices. This isn't DMC, this is the bullshit YouTube video you would make if you wanted to piss off DMC fans.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Taiso
Evil Dead

Looks like utter horseshit for a franchise and a character that absolutely did not need to be rebooted.

Seriously.

Fuck Capcom.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
The fuck is this shit? It looks like a parody of a UPN sitcom with terrible voices. This isn't DMC, this is the bullshit YouTube video you would make if you wanted to piss off DMC fans.
Capcom has not a clue.

They think we want these changes with franchises like RE and DMC. They're going to find out the hard way...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Capcom has not a clue.

They think we want these changes with franchises like RE and DMC. They're going to find out the hard way...
Hardcore RE fans don't give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
wastedyears
Evil Dead

Every new video on DMC makes me less and less interested in this game. I'd be happy to drop $60 on a new Devil May Cry game, but DMC is anything but.
wastedyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

At least he looks a bit less of a faggy emo... still looks like the designer guy a lot though so it's still a stupid ego-trip
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
Syl
Evil Dead

The game is going to go through various stages of his life i'm guessing, i'm pretty sure his character design will change drastically over the course of the game - later on he'll have his longer white hair and flowing trench coat getup.

I'm actually pretty interested in this.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #15
serioustommy
Evil Dead

why do game characters always have to look trendy handsome slim sexy hip nice-hair well-dressed etc which makes them look like a fag to me? why can't they look more realistic and normal i.e. me
serioustommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #16
Azrael
Subscriber

Would love to play the entire series but as far as i know 1 & 2 never made it to PC, the HD reboot was for consoles only...

This one looks alright, but would want a demo before i laid down cash for it
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by serioustommy View Post
why do game characters always have to look trendy handsome slim sexy hip nice-hair well-dressed etc which makes them look like a fag to me? why can't they look more realistic and normal i.e. me
More often than not, I don't feel like playing a game about a flabby white guy(assuming, of course, you fit into the stereotype of the flabby white gaming nerd. If you don't, I don't care).

Characters don't always fit into your description, though; you only have to look as far as Warhammer 40K or Gears of War to see this. Rockstar's games rarely star attractive characters, either; Red Dead Redemption's John Marston was far from a handsome man. There are plenty of examples of main characters who don't fit into your description.

Also, I'm glad that you had to mention you think the character looks gay, which is somehow a bad thing. +5 points for you.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
Chimpbot
King Ghidorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
I agree. It does not look fun at all.
It...looks pretty damn similar to the original DMC titles, both in speed and overall execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy
huh. I had thought he was going to be a salty english bastard ala spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This american teenager from 1985 thing is new...
He was never British; his voice was raspier in the first 2010 trailer, but it was definitely an American accent. Visually, there are only two major changes made to Dante's design; he has a slightly larger build and his hair is less emo. That's it.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #19
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serioustommy View Post
I don't know about "Faggy," but I will say that he looks like he just walked onto the set of an axe commercial. How dirty boys get clean.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
Taiso
Evil Dead

(semi long rant to follow-apologies to those who take issue)

In regards to Dante looking 'faggy':

So what? He's always looked a little flamboyant with his platinum blonde hair, red trenchcoat and his showy swagger.

And think about his design in Devil May Cry 3 and MvC 3: No shirt under his red trenchcoat?

I think he's always had that sort of 'bishonen hero' look to him. Sure, he acts like an over the top, decidedly male and rugged action hero, but his visual flair has always been a sort of 'video game glam rock' kinda thing.

And I'm cool with that. It's part of the character's charm, and it's the main reason 2 sucked: it had no rock and roll, balls to the wall style to it. It was just him being all droll and serious and grinding XP on boring monsters in repetitive mashfests. There was no story to speak of, no quality to that game that helped to elevate Dante to the lofty, crazy style he had in 1 and especially 3 and 4.

My issue with 'dmc' is that THE CHARACTER DIDN'T NEED TO BE FUCKING REBOOTED.

If Dante would have started out the way he looks in this new game, and if the game's sensibilities would, from the start, have been along the same lines as what we're seeing here, then I would be complaining about them changing him as well.

It's a pointless reboot. It doesn't need to happen. The character works as is. If 4 would have let you play as Dante from start to finish, and maybe added a few more areas to pad game length, it would have been a perfect DMC game. But Capcom, for some reason, wants to remove Dante from his own series by giving us Nero and this new version. I just don't get it.

Most of the appeal of the series is in the charisma of the character. If you play Ninja Gaiden, you don't want to play 'some ninja' doing Ryu Hayabusa's moves. You want to FUCKING PLAY RYU HAYABUSA.

The same holds true for Devil May Cry.

Kojima tried this with Metal Gear Solid 2, but at least there was an interesting story about identity augmentation, genetic and behaviorial cloning and information control to sort of back up the the theme of why you were playing Raiden and why his moves and methods were so similar to Snake. It was dangerous and tricky, meaning that even if you have something concrete to back up your reason for removing the major appeal of playing a video game, it's going to hit some serious turbulence.

In it's favor, it seems like they've given Dante some of his rock and roll swagger, what with him getting dressed in mid air, using some of his familiar moves from previous games and whatnot. And the speed looks fine to me. I've played enough Devil May Cry to know if it was slow and, for DMC, it's not slow. It's about right.

But the whole middle finger thing is wrong. I've seen anti-social heroes in manga and anime throw birds at peopel before, and that's cool and all...but it's not Dante. He's not supposed to be quite so vulgar and direct. Dude's got style and doesn't need to go lowbrow to get his message across.

Isn't there anyone in Capcom that knows all of this?

Tags
capcom, devil may cry, ninja theory