Today 02:12 PM
7 Replies, 707 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - Spec Ops DLC Trailer

Quote:
First Spec-Ops campaign episode arrives April 10, 2012 for free, with additional paid missions coming down the line. Four new multiplayer maps are on the way too!
Is anyone still playing this game? Is it as bad as the reviews make it out to be?
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Thin_J
Evil Dead

I watched a stream of it on twitch.tv and it looked like it was barely even a functional game. It was like watching SOCOM: Confrontation. Only even more broken than that was on release.
Thin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Yeah, I initially supported it but that was before I put in significant time. Game is bad and broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Taiso
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
Yeah, I initially supported it but that was before I put in significant time. Game is bad and broken.
This.

But I will probably DL and play the Spec Ops campaign. At least, the first one.

I paid 70 bucks for the LE and I haven't gotten my money's worth out of it. Don't know that if I ever will, but if they keep throwing free DLC at the game, I'll give it another chance.

The problem is that the gameplay is wholly marginal. There are conrol issues, AI issues and damage issues. This is about 40 percent of what it COULD be, and the other 60 percent is just a mess. A shame, because it had some potential.

Where is the co-op 'horde' mode in this game? How could Slant Six so miserably fail in not including such a play mode in a game and setting that all but necessitates it?

Would have been better if it were just a bunch of rescue missions where you played cops, soldiers, and other survivors of Raccoon City. No need for douchey super commandos with douchey powers and abilities.

The game needed to be cross between the everyman abilities of Left 4 Dead and the rescue mission open sandlot roaming of Dead Rising. Insted, it's SOCOM: Raccoon City. A terrible misfire, IMO.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Metal Khaos
Evil Dead

So disappointing to hear all of this, though I knew this would happen. I really hoped that it would surprise me and come out as a decent to good title.
Metal Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Ruff_Daimont
Dread Lord

A friend of mine is a huge Resident Evil fan. He bought consoles simply for one or two RE games which would come out for it.... He bought this and within a single day he returned it. From a huge fan this said everything I needed to know about this game, luckily I didn't shell out the cash for this.

Too bad...
Ruff_Daimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
A friend of mine is a huge Resident Evil fan. He bought consoles simply for one or two RE games which would come out for it....
I'm a huge RE fan and have done this too. Thinking about getting the 3DS just for the new RE game on it. Sadly, this is plain crap.

I downloaded RE4 off of XBLive and started playing it again for probably the 10th time. It was like coming home.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Metal Khaos
Evil Dead

Hrm, I need to look into getting that additional attachment for the 3DS before trekking into Resident Evil on it. Did enjoy the demo though.
Metal Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I'm a huge RE fan and have done this too. Thinking about getting the 3DS just for the new RE game on it. Sadly, this is plain crap.

I downloaded RE4 off of XBLive and started playing it again for probably the 10th time. It was like coming home.
Luckily Revelations is a fantastic game whereas Raccoon City is shit.
Quote:
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Khaos View Post
Hrm, I need to look into getting that additional attachment for the 3DS before trekking into Resident Evil on it. Did enjoy the demo though.
Gyro Aiming man. Just play it with Gyro aiming. It's hidden deep in the control options and its fucking awesome. Revelations was great.

I'm curious if they're going to fix a bunch of the problems with operation raccoon city for the PC launch.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #11
xplics
Lord

I feel like the only person who thinks this game a great game that took some chances and made some errors.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #12
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

It doesn't really do anything very well.

There are scripted sequences with little info on what to do. For example, the first BOW you encounter, I'm getting ready for a standup fight but, that's not what the game wants. It wants you to run away and then enforces this be putting an invisible wall behind the BOW so, you can't get around it. My AI teammates are useless. I'm the only one that can shoot the vulnerable "eye" I guess. So, I'm in a narrow corridor, I can't strafe behind the enemy. My team mates are no help. Every now and then there's a timed door that stops my progress. So, I get to stand there and try to slow the BOW down by myself all while getting beat up in the process.

It just wasn't very fun. It was OK up to that point but, that was the nail on the coffin.

Then there's the environment damage you take during the forced retreat. It just irked the shit out of me. Either be an FPS or be RE. The hybrid approach just didn't work.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplics View Post
I feel like the only person who thinks this game a great game that took some chances and made some errors.
Numerous game-breaking bugs, bad design, marginal difficulty, bad level design, iffy cover mechanics, broken multiplayer, terrible partner AI, ABSURD enemy health, no split screen AT ALL... did I forget anything?

There's nothing "great" about the game at all.
Quote:
Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Peelzbury
Evil Dead

the main problem isnt the developers, it's ppl buying a game day one without even checking it out to see if it's good. with so many different sites to check out gameplay before you buy *youtube, twitchtv, j.tv, so many others full of ppl that just love to stream the new games 1 day. I have yet to buy a game i've been unhappy with in a very long time.

If gamers across the board smartened up a little, studios wont gamble and try to cash in by pushing shit out the door so often.

*shrug* but then, stupid is as stupid durrs.
Peelzbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelzbury View Post
the main problem isnt the developers, it's ppl buying a game day one without even checking it out to see if it's good. with so many different sites to check out gameplay before you buy *youtube, twitchtv, j.tv, so many others full of ppl that just love to stream the new games 1 day. I have yet to buy a game i've been unhappy with in a very long time.

If gamers across the board smartened up a little, studios wont gamble and try to cash in by pushing shit out the door so often.

*shrug* but then, stupid is as stupid durrs.
The main problem ISN'T the devs making bad games? Really? With all due respect there's only so much you can get off of Youtube. You have to truly experience a game for yourself before you can make a legitimate judgment.
Quote:
Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Peelzbury
Evil Dead

yes really.

a company has the right to put out any quality of product they want. zaxby's vs Mcdonalds is a prime example of this.

If the consumers were more savy - no company in their rite mind would release a product in the state most gamers accept some of them in.

But they know the majority of them who shop with mom's credit card dont care for anything but reviews or the box art - that's the extent of their research before purchase. And while a non commentated video on youtube wont give you much besides a preview of graphics and the missions, that's not the only source i mentioned.

If you've ever watched a stream on j.tv or twitch you would know that most streamers talk along with their stream. You hear their impressions first hand. if their having fun and you trust their opinions on games - from having watched their other streams for example - then the likelyhood of you having fun is much better than buying blindly.

If you can't see that.. well.

durr.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelzbury View Post
yes really.

a company has the right to put out any quality of product they want. zaxby's vs Mcdonalds is a prime example of this.

If the consumers were more savy - no company in their rite mind would release a product in the state most gamers accept some of them in.

But they know the majority of them who shop with mom's credit card dont care for anything but reviews or the box art - that's the extent of their research before purchase. And while a non commentated video on youtube wont give you much besides a preview of graphics and the missions, that's not the only source i mentioned.

If you've ever watched a stream on j.tv or twitch you would know that most streamers talk along with their stream. You hear their impressions first hand. if their having fun and you trust their opinions on games - from having watched their other streams for example - then the likelyhood of you having fun is much better than buying blindly.

If you can't see that.. well.

durr.
Not saying your points are wrong (although you expect too much, IMO)... that doesn't excuse developers from making shit games. No way.

Besides, the problem is a lot of people don't know quality. There's a ton of games that are terrible (but don't have as many noticeable flaws as RC) that BREAK RECORDS.
Quote:
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Should have trusted me PSP would have saved you the time and $$$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
Peelzbury
Evil Dead

from the consumer? hmm. I've been told i expect to much from people in general. I tend to disagree with them.

On your point about bad games breaking records *cough* halo - i agree.

That all goes back to shit gamers enjoying mediocre games.

Nothing you can really do about that though - but you can control what you buy, and maybe influence a friend or 2. Let those with the disposable income dispose of it in what way seems best to them.

To the ppl whining about how they got ripped off - no one is forcing you to buy a game sight unseen. Sure - back in the nintendo power days, when all you had were a few pages of commentary and a couple of color screenshots - ( if your friend was nice enough to bring the mag to school and let you see it during lunch;cuz lord knows ur mom is never shelling out the cash for a video magazine on top buying your games ) - that's all you had to base your choice on, so gettin taken in by the hype was easy to understand.

But at this point in the evolution of social media - there is no excuse other than laziness.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

I will be right here to say "told you so" after you guys get RE6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capcom, operation raccoon city, resident evil, slant six games