Today 12:06 PM
10 Replies, 1,247 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #41
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonxavier View Post
I have liked the cheap ass method of picking up a system at phase-out and picking up all the games I consider worthy cheap and used ever since I did it with the Dreamcast.

Looking forward to scavenging what I want from the PS3 catalog.
That's how I bought the PS1&2 and original Xbox, haha. Pretty great picking up every game you want for the system in a single day for less than $60 :P all used for like $5.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfire View Post
Regardless, the 360 made me hesitant to buy a console at launch anymore. They would have to have some godamn good game lineups for me to even consider it, and so far that hasnt really seemed to be the case since maybe N64.
While Mario 64 was a damn good game, I wouldn't call the N64 launch line-up a good one. The launch games were literally Mario and Pilotwings with no other games.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #43
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiddy View Post
While Mario 64 was a damn good game, I wouldn't call the N64 launch line-up a good one. The launch games were literally Mario and Pilotwings with no other games.
You're forgetting Blast Corps and Shadows of the Empire which were decent games for the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #44
Anenome
Autarchist

N64 lineup was pretty good compared to most launches, considering you have one of the greatest game of all time headlining. Pilotwings and especially Blast Corps is also still very memorable, a Rare product by Rare in its heyday.

I forgot about Shadow of the Empire, but remember playing it.

What other console launch had three classic games debut and still be remember 17 years later? I had no clue what PSX launched with, nor Xbox. I remember the PS3's famous failure with Lair.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #45
firecut
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Orbis means blind in some languages and that's exactly what Sony is by switching from Cell RISC CPU to an AMD x64 which means GUARANTEED ZERO BACKWARDS COMPAT with PS3!
Just play your PS3 games on your......PS3. Buy a PS4 for playing......get this...PS4 games.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #46
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecut View Post
Just play your PS3 games on your......PS3. Buy a PS4 for playing......get this...PS4 games.
Shhh, just observe the rage-troll in its natural habitat :P Don't state what's obvious to literally everyone else
Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #47
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
You're forgetting Blast Corps and Shadows of the Empire which were decent games for the time.
I bought a Nintendo 64 launch day. Their were literally two games available: Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #48
Froggy
Developer

Damn. People here seem to know a lot about computers. Although, from the looks of it, grammar/syntax check technology is still a few years away.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #49
DeluxE
Evil Dead

This just can't be true... Sony would be basically throwing in the towel if they released a machine this underpowered into the fight for next gen.

How could a machine with specs that are already outdated hope to survive 5+ years? Nintendo I can see trying to get away with something like this, (they've got the recent success of the Wii gimick and the biggest 1st party brands in the industry after all), but Sony's coming from 3rd place this gen, and their bankbook is hurtin'.

We'll see, but I find it very hard to believe even this company is that inept...
DeluxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #50
Verruckt
Evil Dead

I believe these rumors about as much as I believed the X-box having no disc drive rumors.
Verruckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #51
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxE View Post

We'll see, but I find it very hard to believe even this company is that inept...
Looking at the Vita, they are part inept and part looking to make money.
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #52
Anenome
Autarchist

How is it underpowered by the specs given? You have a 64 bit processor, which just means they're going with AMD and not some stupid 128 bit custom solution *coughcellcough*, and the Southern Islands GPU family includes the 7970, a cutting edge GPU.

You guys apparently forget that part of what makes games on a console so good visually is the static hardware allowing them to make games much closer to the metal than on PC where you deal with a range of hardware options.

If anything, by using off the shelf parts, Sony is making a standards compliant system that will make porting between consoles incredibly easy, which means more cross platform games. Devs will be INCREDIBLY happy that they don't have to learn some stupid novel architecture again that makes them want to jab needles into their eyes and chop their hands off rather than program on, or won't lose even more money on expensive middleware.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #53
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
N64 lineup was pretty good compared to most launches, considering you have one of the greatest game of all time headlining. Pilotwings and especially Blast Corps is also still very memorable, a Rare product by Rare in its heyday.

I forgot about Shadow of the Empire, but remember playing it.

What other console launch had three classic games debut and still be remember 17 years later? I had no clue what PSX launched with, nor Xbox. I remember the PS3's famous failure with Lair.
N64 launched with exactly 2 games: Mario and Pilotwings. Blast Corps and Shadows of the Empire didn't come out until months later.

Xbox had Halo and Dead or Alive 3, along with other good but not as memorable games such as Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Project Gotham Racing.

The original Playstation had Ridge Racer (as most Sony systems launch with) and Rayman, along with a variety of games that didn't age well.

My favorite launch list was the Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure, Soulcalibur, Marvel vs Capcom, Power Stone, and NFL 2K, along with some other stuff. NFL 2K has to be the biggest graphics jump I have ever seen in a video game. Compare it's graphics to the best looking football game available before it's release (Madden on the PS1) and the difference was amazing.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #54
Duskfire
Evil Dead

Quote:
But what if you dont have a PS3? What if they release uncharted 4 and average consumer wants to play the previous 3, but doesnt have a PS3.

Its not an essential addition, I agree, I would probably never use it. But its just convenience. Its not essential for me to be able to turn on the console with the controller either, I could just get up and walk over and turn it on, but its convenient. If theres a Ps3 game someone really really wants to play, rather then buying another console or at the very least getting their older one out, they can just play it.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #55
PSPfreak
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
They have learned... it wont cost you 600... it will cost you 1000... They will get you to pay it.
They'll just keep you real and say, "Hey! Time to look for that 3rd job!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I don't believe in reviews.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #56
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiddy View Post
N64 launched with exactly 2 games: Mario and Pilotwings. Blast Corps and Shadows of the Empire didn't come out until months later.

Xbox had Halo and Dead or Alive 3, along with other good but not as memorable games such as Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Project Gotham Racing.

The original Playstation had Ridge Racer (as most Sony systems launch with) and Rayman, along with a variety of games that didn't age well.

My favorite launch list was the Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure, Soulcalibur, Marvel vs Capcom, Power Stone, and NFL 2K, along with some other stuff. NFL 2K has to be the biggest graphics jump I have ever seen in a video game. Compare it's graphics to the best looking football game available before it's release (Madden on the PS1) and the difference was amazing.
Xbox also had one of the Mechassault games and Panzer Dragoon Orta...also Steel Battalion. It is the last great thing Capcom made. I used to be such a fanboy. (It was a launch game at Wapan!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
If women didn't have vaginas, men would hunt them with dogs. For sport.
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #57
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
What's with the AMD hate? They are decent chips at cheap prices.
The bulldoEr performs fairly with the cheaper i5, and well below even the intro i7 2500, which is not much more expensive. I actually like AMD, but right now their chips are labeled "Disappointment" for a reason.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #58
Elysium
Evil Dead

Quote:
Who wants multiple consoles cluttering up the place just to revisit older classics? Why can't one console play everything? Why can't games evolve into a more standardised form of media that doesn't take a a bunch of different platforms to enjoy? What happens when older consoles go out of production and the one you own breaks? Do those games disappear into obscurity and become lost forever?

While unrealistic notions from a technical point of view, reaching for those ideals is admirable IMO - something Sony is not. Hopefully Microsoft with it's new unified philosophy for Windows and Xbox will invest in backwards compatibility for next gen.
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #59
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Who wants multiple consoles cluttering up the place just to revisit older classics? Why can't one console play everything? Why can't games evolve into a more standardised form of media that doesn't take a a bunch of different platforms to enjoy? What happens when older consoles go out of production and the one you own breaks? Do those games disappear into obscurity and become lost forever?

While unrealistic notions from a technical point of view, reaching for those ideals is admirable IMO - something Sony is not. Hopefully Microsoft with it's new unified philosophy for Windows and Xbox will invest in backwards compatibility for next gen.
Cause...fools like him want us to REBUY the same game again. Which is what Sony and MS did. I want to play Dark Souls again on the PS4 one day but then again it is coming to the pc so... SUPERIOR PC GAMING. I just wish it had Rock Band.
Quote:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #60
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Also fuck Space Magic.
Quote: