Last post by Agnostic Pope
Yesterday 05:29 PM
45 Replies, 2,846 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Weekend Boxoffice Chart

The Hunger Games has filled fan appetites with a $155 million opening weekend that puts it near the top of the domestic record book.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of March 23rd to March 25th.
  1. The Hunger Games $155.0/$155.0
  2. 21 Jump Street $21.3/$71.0
  3. Dr. Seuss' The Lorax $13.1/$177.3
  4. John Carter $5.0/$62.3
  5. Act of Valor $2.0/$65.9
  6. Project X $1.9/$51.7
  7. A Thousand Words $1.9/$14.9
  8. October Baby $1.7/$1.7
  9. Safe House $1.4/$122.6
  10. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island $1.3/$97.1
  11. Casa De Mi Padre $1.1/$3.9
  12. This Means War $1.0/$52.2
#1 all time opening weekend for a movie that is not a sequel.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

I did my part to contribute to that ass whoopin' The Hunger Games put on over the weekend. The whole family had read the book and was needless to say excited to see the movie. It didn't fail to deliver, and stayed remarkably true to the source material. Certain concessions had to be made to keep the PG-13 rating, but all in all it was a very enjoyable afternoon out with the wife and kids!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
LoTECH
Evil Dead

Yeah, my 12 year-old daughter is a Hinger Games fanatic, and me and the wife took her to see it.
She excitedly jabbered away to me about it as we watched, and I realized how annoying my wife must find it when I explain things during nerd movies.
It was good, and my kiddo says it was pretty close to the book with a few, minor alterations.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Samstag
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
[/LIST]#1 all time [domestic] opening weekend for a movie that is not a sequel.
Fixed that for you. Avatar had a better world wide opening weekend.
Samstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Ozena
Discombobulated

Plus, Jennifer Lawrence.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
laggerific
Evil Dead

On a whim, I went to a 10:30 showing of Hunger Games...one of the pluses of living within walking distance of the theater. But the negatives shown through...a lot of families with their babies and toddler/kids. So, yeah, this is a grumpy post of fist shaking at those parents. WTF were you thinking? I know, I know...people can only go when they can go...but I really don't buy that this was the only time these people could go.

Movie was good, and looking forward to the rest in the series. They did a pretty good job taking the internal monologue from Katniss and represent it as a narrative.

Hey...wood! We should BUILD something.
laggerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
ldi222
Subscriber

Loved it, but feel a bit strange that a story this awesome was written for 12 year old girls.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
ElfShotTheFood
Evil Dead

Six posts, and no one has said "Battle Royale Ripoff!!" yet? For shame, internet.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

In Europe this movie was listed as "Battle Royale with Cheese."
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
PacerDawn
Subscriber

Battle Royale wasn't a wide release in the states, probably not very many people know about it. (I didn't care too much for it myself.) But regardless, the "humans hunting humans" theme wasn't invented by that movie either. If it's a good theme, it's always welcome to see someone else try their approach.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
ElfShotTheFood
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Battle Royale wasn't a wide release in the states, probably not very many people know about it. (I didn't care too much for it myself.) But regardless, the "humans hunting humans" theme wasn't invented by that movie either. If it's a good theme, it's always welcome to see someone else try their approach.
But I heard this movie was wildly popular with middle-aged housewives!
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

It is amazing how many women are into this movie, because it's basically a raw action flick. Demographics are some 60%+ girls and women, and the rest men, with both young and old demographics into it. No wonder it smashed records. The writer found the perfect sweet demographic spot.
Anenome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
vallor
Evil Dead

Read the books, like them. Saw the movie at a 10 AM showing on Sunday and the theater was PACKED which I didn't expect. Anyway, I wasn't disappointed even though I felt like they glossed over certain themes too much.

(Maybe Spoilers Below)
For example it isn't ever really shown just how much under the boot of the Capital the rest of the districts are. Yes you have terrible poverty, but it doesn't go on to show that this is the direct result of Capital policy.

Also, the undercurrent of rebellion was hidden with the exception of 2 notable exceptions. That is important to setting up future storytelling.

Maybe that's just me though.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
It is amazing how many women are into this movie, because it's basically a raw action flick. Demographics are some 60%+ girls and women, and the rest men, with both young and old demographics into it. No wonder it smashed records. The writer found the perfect sweet demographic spot.
Well because it is a female writer like twilight...except unlike twilight which as disturbing as it is...is kinda original. Hunger games not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Then you should watch the movie and compare the death's on Battle Royale to the ones in Hunger Games. Then you will say oh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
You sir, are my fucking hero!
Agnostic Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Maybe it's because I didn't read the book, but I thought the movie sucked. The hour or so it took to get into the actual Games dragged on and on. Then when the Hunger games began it felt pretty solid. Then it quickly began to drag more. There tense moments were done very well, but the rest got on my nerves real quick.

This seems like one of those movies that pleases people who read the book as they can see something they read come to life on the screen. Now I understand why friends of mine that never read Watchmen absolutely hated the movie while I was pleased with it.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiddy View Post
Maybe it's because I didn't read the book, but I thought the movie sucked. The hour or so it took to get into the actual Games dragged on and on. Then when the Hunger games began it felt pretty solid. Then it quickly began to drag more. There tense moments were done very well, but the rest got on my nerves real quick.

This seems like one of those movies that pleases people who read the book as they can see something they read come to life on the screen. Now I understand why friends of mine that never read Watchmen absolutely hated the movie while I was pleased with it.
Nah, I haven't read the books, and thought the story was wonderful. Perhaps you just weren't able to empathize with Katniss enough. That's what makes the parts you say dragged wroth it.
Anenome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

Quote:
Nah, I haven't read the books, and thought the story was wonderful. Perhaps you just weren't able to empathize with Katniss enough. That's what makes the parts you say dragged wroth it.
I didn't know very much about the series and I really enjoyed the movie as well. I'll check out the sequels when the come out.

Insignia 48" 1080p/Onkyo HT-R520 6.1 DTS/PS4 500GB/X360 60GB/PS3 250 GB/Wii/PSVita
Dell XPS Studio 435 MT (i7 920-12 GB DDR3-ATI Radeon HD 7870 OC 2GB / Westinghouse LCM22w3 @ 1680x1050)
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Quote:
What, that she (Spoiler, even if partially in the trailer)

volunteered to take her sisters place? That's was fine and all, but the being a bitch to everybody that was helping her? I still don't get why Lenny Kravitz was cool with her as quick as he was. And what the hell was with the spinning fire dress? Two or three turnarounds would have been enough. But she did it like 15 times.

There were more things here and there that got on my nerves, but the only reason I wasn't furious for wasting my time at the theater was that the movie did a good job of building tension.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
bskeillor
Evil Dead

Overall I thought the movie was pretty good, and did the book a little better in some spots, and came up short in a few others. Saw it twice actually because my younger son wanted to see it also. Both shows sold out, midnight and a 2pm Sunday show.

The biggest complaint I had was the beginning of the movie and all the shaky cam usage. It was so bad and noticeable I was glad when they finally went to a steady long shot of Katniss running. I can understand why it was used during the bloodbath, but not showing all of the citizens in District 12 going about their day.

Lose the shaky cam and keep making changes to improve areas of the book and the next 2 will be awesome. (hopefully they come to their senses and only make 2 more movies rather than the splitting of the final book)

And the comment about Twilight being a more original take? Wussification of vampires, I guess that is an original take...
bskeillor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart