Last post by Scherge
Yesterday 11:17 PM
4 Replies, 710 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Going Free to Play

This month's producer letter for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes has announced that the game will be going free to play this summer.

Quote:
Vanguard going Free-to-Play

At SOE, giving players choices is the theme of how we're moving forward as a company. We see free-to-play (or as we refer to it, Free to Play. Your Way.) as a big part of our future and we like the flexibility it offers players. Therefore, I'm happy to announce Vanguard will be the next in line of our AAA games to make this transition. Since we've literally just begun on the work, I'm not ready to go into much detail. However, I will say that you can expect something similar to EverQuest®, EverQuest® II and DC Universe™ Online when we roll-out our free-to-play offering this summer. Once we have more information to share, you'll be the first to know.
Read more
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

This may seem to have taken longer than expected but the EQ/Vanguard crowd are die hards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

I played this game at release. The bard class was pretty fun and I liked the feel of the game, but it was full of bugs and unfinished content. Probably a lot better now.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Rommel
International Playboy

I cannot wait to see this business model finally collapse. I dislike it.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
MrButtons
Reaper

I was so excited for when this game was announced back in the day, the classes looked cool, the crafting neat and then the beta ruined everything lol. I have no idea how the game is nowadays but it's nice to see it's still kicking around and being enjoyed.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
PacerDawn
Subscriber

I think the problem is many of these big publishers don't know what "Free To Play" really means. What SOE is doing isn't "Free To Play", it's basically a demo. They limit the games greatly if you are a "Free" player, taking away many features. The true "F2P" model is you get the full game, maybe with Ads, and then you can enhance it with $DLC add-ons. What SOE is doing is removing many features of the game unless you pony up a monthly fee. That's a demo.

Of course, these are old games we are talking about, and probably were not set up to support the true "Free To Play" model, so they had to improvise. Still, they shouldn't call it that, since it's not.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I cannot wait to see this business model finally collapse. I dislike it.
Why? I love free to play games on a try-before-you-buy basis. If i enjoy the game (like DCUO) I may spend a few bucks on a new powerset etc., but in most cases, I really don't spend all the much cash in RMT. I think this model is working/popular because of poor impulse control from a lot of people. Most RMT/F2P games have shops that are filled (usually) with aesthetic items.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
gobius
Lord

This game almost ruined all other mmos for me. Spellcasting while moving is the most amazing thing that has ever been invented. All it did was slow you down. Best idea ever.
gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
vallor
Evil Dead

Surprisingly MMOData pegs subscribers of this game at somewhere around 120,000. This game was relatively cheap compared to the cost MMOs in the last few years, but I wonder if they've broken even yet.

I've stayed away from it because I didn't like the retro-EQ style game mechanics, but maybe I'll check it out now.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
Why? I love free to play games on a try-before-you-buy basis. If i enjoy the game (like DCUO) I may spend a few bucks on a new powerset etc., but in most cases, I really don't spend all the much cash in RMT. I think this model is working/popular because of poor impulse control from a lot of people. Most RMT/F2P games have shops that are filled (usually) with aesthetic items.
  1. The marketing. Take a look at the Battlefield Heroes website, or the interface of just about any iOS game. BUY THIS BUY THIS BUY THIS! It just kicks you in the balls with ads, and then grinds down with its high heels of shame. Leave me alone when I am playing my games, Mistress.
  2. The hassle. I like owning the whole game, all at once. Its why I prefer GOTY editions, long after release. Let me get everything at once, and not constantly deal with the store because my mech is out of $.50 rockets.
  3. The cost. FTP is somehow more expensive than actually buying the damn game. Sure, no one would ever buy EVERY piece of crap available for Gotham City Impostures, but have you seen the price if they tried?
  4. The spirit. There is something about achievement in games that is being lost in the age of dollar apps. I would rather grind out a hidden character than just have it. The FTP games make that grind almost impossible, since dollars are on the line. If I did decide to pony up, I've cheated. So why bother?
  5. The look. Hats, hats and more hats! There is nothing I dislike more than when someone shows up to a raid, where we are tackling the Aspect of Death, with his cute Mini Ragnaros. FTP might as well translate to "Goofy, off-theme crap." A lot is being bandied about Balder's Gate lately. Try and imagine that title with, ahdunno, a wisecracking cartoon penguin sidekick that shoots bubbles out his nose. Kill the mood, any? Good—now give him a Samurai hat.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Whimbrel
Subhuman

People were still paying for this?
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Meeks
Evil Dead

I went back and tried it after leaving in the early days, like many of you, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was the bugs and unfinished content. I found that virtually all of the issues that lead to my early complaints had been more than addressed.

I played for a little while, but cancelled my subscription again... mainly due to the fact that I wasn't having much success soloing. Perhaps it was due to my class choice, but the group and guild systems were severely lacking and I simply don't have the time to weave myself into a server community so deeply that I have a group waiting on me at all times.

Now that it's F2P I'll likely reinstall. The gameplay mechanics and graphical style alone are enough to bring me back, if only for a little while longer.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
The hassle. I like owning the whole game, all at once. Its why I prefer GOTY editions, long after release. Let me get everything at once, and not constantly deal with the store because my mech is out of $.50 rockets.
These SOE games are all MMO's. Even if you paid full price, you'd never own the whole game.

Games like Battlefield Heroes really do abuse the "F2P" concept. Never liked the idea of renting character equipment. You see that model plenty for "F2P" FPS and RTS games. Have to earn currency to maintain rentals, and you're only limited to lower subsets of items unless you pay.

DCUO doesn't go over the top with it though, it's the only SOE F2P game I've tried so far. Only purchaseables are cosmetic items and the $DLC add-ons that include new mission areas and powersets. Subbers get them free along with a monthly cash shop allowance, free players get the option to buy. F2P added slower vault tickets rates (which generally net cosmetic items) and inventory space/character slot limits for free/premium users.

It's actually much cheaper to play free unless you're a hardcore player, because dropping $5 once or twice is cheaper than the $15 a month. One $5 purchase nets any free user an upgrade to premium, with anybody who ever spent money on the game (including original purchase) being a permium user. The add-on mission content is way end-game stuff, so even if you bought it, you wouldn't see it unless you clocked the time to get there.

Went from Legendary to Premium myself, don't feel like I'm missing out on a ton. I did get the first add-on for free though (without needing to maintain a sub), that's not something new players will get.

Quote:
The look. Hats, hats and more hats! There is nothing I dislike more than when someone shows up to a raid, where we are tackling the Aspect of Death, with his cute Mini Ragnaros. FTP might as well translate to "Goofy, off-theme crap." A lot is being bandied about Balder's Gate lately. Try and imagine that title with, ahdunno, a wisecracking cartoon penguin sidekick that shoots bubbles out his nose. Kill the mood, any? Good—now give him a Samurai hat.
Give any sub-based game enough time and this is where they'll end up. I seem to recall some ridiculously priced WoW pets selling like hotcakes. Think the pricing model change and this are both symptoms of the same cause, not a cause and effect of each other.

Tags
saga of heroes, sony, vanguard