Last post by Anenome
Yesterday 05:08 PM
19 Replies, 1,201 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Diablo III Release Date Coming 'in the Near Future'

Jay Wilson from Blizzard Entertainment posted an update on the Diablo III forums in which he revealed "you can seriously expect a launch-date announcement from us in the near future."

Quote:
Some of you might have seen some headlines or a certain (obviously sarcastic) blue post that implies that we're unsteady about where Diablo III stands, and that you should temper your expectations when it comes to the next installment in the Diablo series.

Let me be clear: Nothing could be further from the truth.

As those of you in the beta have seen, the game is in good shape. Actually, I should say that the beta version of the game is in good shape. The latest full build we've been testing here in the office is in great shape.

We get a lot of sympathy from the other teams because of the long hours of crunch our design team is putting in, but the secret is that playing through the game as we do final tuning, bug fixes, and optimizations is a real joy. We always know a Blizzard game is almost ready when we have to ask members of the team to stop playing so they can get their work done. That’s definitely been the case around here.

We think you're going to love Diablo III when it's released, and speaking of release plans, you can seriously expect a launch-date announcement from us in the near future. See, I didn’t say “soon,” so I’m not taunting you. ;) You’ll know as soon as I know for sure the exact date.
Click on the headline to read the entire post from Jay Wilson.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Jay Wilson wanted to share a message with the Diablo III community:

Some of you might have seen some headlines or a certain (obviously sarcastic) blue post that implies that we're unsteady about where Diablo III stands, and that you should temper your expectations when it comes to the next installment in the Diablo series.

Let me be clear: Nothing could be further from the truth.

As those of you in the beta have seen, the game is in good shape. Actually, I should say that the beta version of the game is in good shape. The latest full build we've been testing here in the office is in great shape.

We get a lot of sympathy from the other teams because of the long hours of crunch our design team is putting in, but the secret is that playing through the game as we do final tuning, bug fixes, and optimizations is a real joy. We always know a Blizzard game is almost ready when we have to ask members of the team to stop playing so they can get their work done. That’s definitely been the case around here.

We think you're going to love Diablo III when it's released, and speaking of release plans, you can seriously expect a launch-date announcement from us in the near future. See, I didn’t say “soon,” so I’m not taunting you. ;) You’ll know as soon as I know for sure the exact date.

And by the way, we want you to have high expectations for Diablo III and all Blizzard games. That’s what pushes us to try to make the best gaming experiences we possibly can. If Diablo III wasn’t a worthy next installment in the Diablo series, we wouldn’t release it. That’s the way we do it. That’s the way we’ve always done it.

As I’ve said many times in the recent past, we think Diablo III is coming along great and we can’t wait for you to get your hands on it. We’re doing all we can to ensure you have one hell of a time once you step foot in Sanctuary…

Also, I think Diablo is much more comparable to the Evil Dead series personally, and those just kept getting better. OK, I know a lot of you prefer Evil Dead 2 to Army of Darkness, but come on, Bruce Campbell fights a squad of little Bruce Campbells! Priceless. =)

Jay Wilson is the Game Director of Diablo 3, and wants to know “Hey, uh, what’s that you got on your face?” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBCSautRXY
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
lockwoodx
Photobomber

What's on my face? Egg if I'm caught playing an overpriced Activision/Blizzard game.

After kicking the WoW habit and passing on StarCraft 2, D3 is a breeze to say no to. Torchlight 2 gets my money first, because the last thing I want to do is start having to use battle.net again so I can be bombarded by more needless hype and advertising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
AlfredT
Evil Dead

I'm going to be playing this, as I got it for free. Thanks wowcrack.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
AlfredT
Evil Dead

And yes, it is technically free, as I was going to pay for a years sub for wow anyways.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Syl
Evil Dead

If this game never releases my social life will be so much better for it.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

I'm here to announce that in the near future there will be an announcement regarding an important upcoming announcement about our big announcement. Stay here for more announcements.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Sloth
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
What's on my face? Egg if I'm caught playing an overpriced Activision/Blizzard game.

After kicking the WoW habit and passing on StarCraft 2, D3 is a breeze to say no to. Torchlight 2 gets my money first, because the last thing I want to do is start having to use battle.net again so I can be bombarded by more needless hype and advertising.
is this of game hipstering? I liked mainstream before it was cool
Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
solinari6
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
the last thing I want to do is start having to use battle.net again so I can be bombarded by more needless hype and advertising.
I don't understand this. I've been playing wow for years, and am a battle.net member. I don't get bombarded by anything. The only emails I get from blizzard are sent to the accounts I've canceled, begging me to come back.
solinari6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Release date will be 12/12/12.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
inscribed
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
I don't understand this. I've been playing wow for years, and am a battle.net member. I don't get bombarded by anything. The only emails I get from blizzard are sent to the accounts I've canceled, begging me to come back.
Battle.net requires a lot of personal information to be able to play a game you just bought. There absolutely zero reason they need my full name and address to play a game. That's the big reason I won't buy Blizzard games any more.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
solinari6
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
Battle.net requires a lot of personal information to be able to play a game you just bought. There absolutely zero reason they need my full name and address to play a game. That's the big reason I won't buy Blizzard games any more.
I thought they needed that in case your account gets stolen (and yes it happens a lot) you are able to prove who you are and get it back.
solinari6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Panzermensch!

Is Blizzard giving Evil Avatar beta codes like it did for Destructoid? If not, EPIC FAIL, especially since we're now subjected to advertisements posing as news stories.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
Well for one imagine all the death threats people toss out online, it's a tad easier for Blizzard to take the battlenet username of someone who just told Little Johnny he'd kill him and find the real name and address of that person and alert the authorities. This happens a lot more often than you would think too.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #16
Judas
Evil Dead

I played the Beta. It was a Diablo game. Been there, clicked that. Can't say that as an aging gamer, this gameplay holds much sway for me anymore. I think it was novel initially years ago, but I think an isometric game needs more than just clicking attacks and drinking potions anymore. I thought I'd want this game in the long draught since D2, but my feelings changed. The auction for cash grab, although not required, still irks my youthful purist gamer ideals as inappropriate. I won't miss out on this one on release, it can pass by like a ship of specters.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #17
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
I thought I'd want this game in the long draught since D2, but my feelings changed.
This more or less sums up how I felt about SC2. For some reason, Blizzard somehow torched all the consumer interest they had with me after I experienced that game. Pardon, I meant that "first installment."

There's just too many other good games out there man, where you don't have to put up with giving away PII or connecting to the net to play SP, etc ad nauseum.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #18
vallor
Evil Dead

This is one of the things that set Blizz, and a few other AAA studios apart from the rest. It is very rare to see teams still passionate about their game toward the end of a product cycle. What I've seen is that often they are so fatigued and burned out on the game from crunch-time that they can barely find or fix the bugs. Test might be playing the whole build all the time, but everyone else is just struggling to get their job done.

That passion is the 5% that changes a great game into a classic one.

Last edited by vallor; 02-26-2012 at 04:45 AM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
HB_IKE
Evil Dead

Is this for real? A new about Blizz countering ppl that say their game sux and saying they don't have a date yet?

Blizz is no longer in my respected game dev list ...
HB_IKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Well I wrote a well thought out reply to a lot of posts on here then I stupidly hit backspace and lost it all.. so the points of my now vanished post is

-battle.net ID has privacy settings now and you can entirely opt out of it, which wasn't the case at launch

-Real Money auction in D3 imo seems like a good thing, as you can make money with the game now. Any other existing RMT system (aside from Mindark/PE) only exist to take money. Even in Project Entropia, making money is very very hard compared to losing/using money.

/Non legit ranty points

-Its drought.. not draught
-hows blizz no longer a respected dev for releasing news clarifying the status of their game?

Tags
blizzard entertainment, diablo 3, diablo iii