Last post by Phoenix1985
Today 08:17 AM
24 Replies, 795 Views
» Promotion

Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
PacerDawn
Subscriber

Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Test this Weekend

It appears Star Wars: The Old Republic is having a beta test this weekend. I just received an invite in the mail:

Quote:
You must respond to confirm your participation in the Game Testing Program.

START: November 11th @ 5:00 PM CST
END: November 13th @ 11:59:00 PM CST

• Visit the Testing Details Page for more information on the test.
• Be sure to check out the Tester Forums
• EVERYTHING associated with the test is Confidential Information.

Your account has been selected to participate in the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Game Testing Program.

You must respond to be able to participate in this test. To accept or decline this invitation, simply visit the Testing Details Page where you can also review the testing dates and details.

If you decide to decline this specific test, you are still eligible to participate in future tests of Star Wars: The Old Republic, though there is no guarantee that you will be selected again.

As a reminder, should you choose to participate, everything associated with this test (game information, process, forums communication, etc.) is confidential and may not be discussed outside of the Game Testing forum. Additionally, your participation in the Game Testing Program is subject to the Game Testing Agreement.

If you have any trouble accessing the Game Testing Portal, please contact the Star Wars: The Old Republic Team for assistance.

May the Force be with you,

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Team
Did I just swear off MMO's? I can't remember. In any case, it would appear my weekend is officially booked.
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
MajorEzyTarget
Death Knight

Damn, I got an invite a few weeks ago for the beta and had a great time with the game. I guess they aren't bringing back returning testers. Boooooo.
MajorEzyTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Grandpappy
Soul Reaper

I'd love to get in on this... It looks tasty.
Grandpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorEzyTarget View Post
Damn, I got an invite a few weeks ago for the beta and had a great time with the game. I guess they aren't bringing back returning testers. Boooooo.
There are actually multiple beta tests for it going on right now. I know of at least three different groups. The first is the general closed beta that's been going on for the past 6 months or so. The second is a high level beta where people are testing premade level 40+ characters to test the high level content. The third is the weekend beta-tests where they are bringing in a different group of people each weekend to let them test stress levels, different PC configurations, and gain statistics on things like how long it takes for quests to complete and what's still broken to the point where quests cannot be completed.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

The client is a 20GB download. I highly recommend downloading the client tonight before the servers get overloaded.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Five days of beta test is fairly pitiful. that's like an afterthought. You can't get meaningful feedback much less make meaningful changes based on feedback.

So let's be honest about what this is and has become, little more than a marketing gimmick.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Careful Pacer I received an email exactly like that today. It's a duplicate of the email I got yesterday except all the links go to email.swtor.com not www.swtor.com. Official stuff should come from the address no-reply@bioware.swtor.com
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

BTW you can check if you are really in at www.swtor.com/tester
Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Careful Pacer I received an email exactly like that today. It's a duplicate of the email I got yesterday except all the links go to email.swtor.com not www.swtor.com. Official stuff should come from the address no-reply@bioware.swtor.com
Does anyone else get tons of emails too saying your wow account has been hacked / investigated / free mount, etc? Or is that just me. These things are rampant. Never, never, never follow a link in an email. Always go to the official site you know is good and follow-up from there.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Yeah. I used to get them for WoW alot. I've blocked a bunch of the sites now and rarely see them.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Yeah. I used to get them for WoW alot. I've blocked a bunch of the sites now and rarely see them.
I only get them in junk mail form, not inbox, so it doesn't bother me. But on occasional forays into the junk pile I can't help but laugh at how many times I've apparently been investigated for trying to sell my character or been given a free mount, etc. :P
Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Hauser1981
Knight

yeah those e-mails aren't very convincing anymore. last one i got was labeled as having originated at blizzard-WoW@yahoo.com. I am sure Blizzard sends out account e-mails from yahoo.
Hauser1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Ravijn
Evil Dead

I just got an invite for the NEXT beta weekend. Odd.
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Hauser1981
Knight

I got in this weekend just with i could get in. Game won't go past launcher
Hauser1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
pabloano
Dread Lord

Been playing since Friday... just as fun as I thought it would be. Nope, take that back... more fun. Also, Anen, to be fair, the beta has been going on for the last 9 months or so. This current weekend stint is a stress test, hence all of the rampant invites and beta codes given out to media sites.

But y'know, haters gonna hate and all that :P
Old 11-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #16
steved
Soul Reaper

I've been in this weekend beta, and it's been a huge disappointment. This is WoW clone with lasers, but without all the WoW polish.

I've only managed to put 6-8h into it, finished the Sith Inquisitor(sp?) starting zone, getting to lvl9. It plays like an ugly KOTOR; the interface is just terrible. Story missions are nice, but seem to have a lot of eyewash dialogue options. Prob OK for the first month if you are a fan.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #17
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

I didn't get in the beta But all my buddies playing STO did, well most of them. And quite a few co-workers of mine got in as well. I can't say I've "looked forward" to SWTOR since I'm not much of a Star Wars fan outside the original trilogy but I do want to try it out before plunking down $60.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I didn't get in the beta But all my buddies playing STO did, well most of them. And quite a few co-workers of mine got in as well. I can't say I've "looked forward" to SWTOR since I'm not much of a Star Wars fan outside the original trilogy but I do want to try it out before plunking down $60.

Absolutely try before you buy. I watched my buddy play it and didnt care for it at all.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

@Anemone There has been an ongoing beta test since july a guy I know has been in the beta since then. The weekends appear to just for stress testing.

@Mav There was a Dev post on the 11th saying that everyone who signed up for the beta before Nov 11 will get in the next beta weekend. Plus some fan sites will be given beta "keys" to distribute as well. Full available details here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=600760

I was suspicous about the gameplay myself after watching videos. Questing is questing and not much really changes with that but the story was interesting on the first play through. im not big on replaying to try every combination for results. Flashpoints and Warzones can be pretty intense. Did a flashpoint with guildies 2 Knights(Sentinal and Guardian), 1 Trooper(Commando) and my self Smuggler(Scoundrel). It was fast paced and I didnt have to spend my whole time healing. Warzones were really a lot of fun. I tried all three and had a great time.

I dont think it's a WoW killer. Is it fun and worth trying out? I would say yes. My main concern about the game, class balance, is still not resolved. Hard to tell if the Warzone losses I had were class balance or inexperieced players. From the test this weekend I felt they really were trying to get players opinion on launch day performance.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
Anenome
Autarchist

If it's been going on for forever, what's all this about beta testing 5 days before release. Is it closed beta right now and if you pre-order, open beta 5 days before release? Pretty anemic reward, since they're going to wipe the characters at end of beta.