Evil Avatar  




Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Gaming Laptop Help
Last post by Rommel
Today 07:09 AM
10 Replies, 363 Views
PlanetSide 2 - Making of...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 06:49 AM
2 Replies, 43 Views
State of Decay: Year-One...
Last post by Terran
Today 06:49 AM
4 Replies, 315 Views
Kotaku and Developer Zoe...
Last post by bub64882
Today 06:15 AM
503 Replies, 31,688 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Rommel
Today 04:22 AM
21 Replies, 779 Views
Wii U - Games of Past,...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 03:39 AM
1 Replies, 409 Views
Total War: Rome II ...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 03:24 AM
3 Replies, 483 Views
Shadow of Mordor -...
Last post by brandonjclark
Yesterday 10:20 PM
2 Replies, 482 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate
 
pwnophobia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 6,114
Blog Entries: 10
World of Starcraft is a Fan Made Reality

Using the Starcraft II map editor, fans of the series have made a pre-alpha version of what they are calling: "World of Starcraft." You can follow this project by visiting their forums but not before you watch the video below:


via Pixelated Geek.
pwnophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
dirtbag
野郎
 
dirtbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 六本木 (七月から)
Posts: 1,014
Looks like a good solid effort so far. I assume this is basically a mod.
__________________
Xbox Live: Prosdan
PSN: Ogotai74

http://diplodan.wordpress.com/
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,421
Fap-worthy.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Mazzicc
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: a mile in the sky (Denver)
Posts: 1,590
o_O

Do. Want.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
abso
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 722
Time until Blizzard sends a Cease and Desist letter? 3... 2... 1...
abso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by abso View Post
Time until Blizzard sends a Cease and Desist letter? 3... 2... 1...
Considering the quality of the light-sourcing and the modeling, they should be mailing job offers.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
lockwoodx
Photobomber
 
lockwoodx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on tap
Posts: 23,709
Blog Entries: 2
The way Blizzard is handling Cataclysm, no way in hell I'd go for another mmo from them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
I had no idea he was posting awesome stuff that would get the ads cancelled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
abso
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 722
I think everything they are doing is using the tools provided by Blizzard in the StarEditor. If that's the case, the graphics are all using the starcraft 2 engine. Hard to find any real implementation details on their forums though. I think they are just making a giant SC2 mod...
abso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Fatbot
Lord
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 82
Unbelievable if that's using just the in game tools and assets. I'd hope this would be a win/win with everyone getting a great SC2 mod and Blizzard getting some great new employees.
Fatbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
dimsumx
MSG-free.
 
dimsumx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 489
It's jawdropping to see what the SC2 Editor can do...and people were flipping out over LBP2's editor.
__________________
Gamertag/PSN/Steam: DimsumX
dimsumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
The way Blizzard is handling Cataclysm, no way in hell I'd go for another mmo from them.
Yeah, Cata has some issues ...
  • Too few new zones, I'm already loremaster?
  • Too few regular dungeons, there are 3 at 85!
  • The heroics are too hard, one year after group search feature implementation, pugs become risky.
  • The dailies are all over the place, and inconsistent in number per faction
  • Make the damn mats harder to come by, why don'tcha?!
  • When exactly did the Twilight cult take over the world? I know we were busy with Arthas, but I can't believe we missed ALL THIS over a Tuesday.

It also has some good things ...
  • The graphics are greatly improved!
  • There is a challenge again!
  • Loads of new quest types!
  • The new races are actually interesting
  • The revamped zones gives players a reason to start again

Cataclysm is a mixed bag. Its better than TBC at least in terms of story and gameplay, but lags behind both previous expansions in terms of scope. There is simply too little new content, and too great of a focus on zones that get abandoned by design. We'll see how the content evolves as time goes by to render final judgement, but for now it is not Blizzard's best effort.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
dimsumx
MSG-free.
 
dimsumx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Yeah, Cata has some issues ...
  • Too few new zones, I'm already loremaster?
  • Too few regular dungeons, there are 3 at 85!
  • The heroics are too hard, one year after group search feature implementation, pugs become risky.
  • The dailies are all over the place, and inconsistent in number per faction
  • Make the damn mats harder to come by, why don'tcha?!
  • When exactly did the Twilight cult take over the world? I know we were busy with Arthas, but I can't believe we missed ALL THIS over a Tuesday.

It also has some good things ...
  • The graphics are greatly improved!
  • There is a challenge again!
  • Loads of new quest types!
  • The new races are actually interesting
  • The revamped zones gives players a reason to start again

Cataclysm is a mixed bag. Its better than TBC at least in terms of story and gameplay, but lags behind both previous expansions in terms of scope. There is simply too little new content, and too great of a focus on zones that get abandoned by design. We'll see how the content evolves as time goes by to render final judgement, but for now it is not Blizzard's best effort.

My view on it is that I don't see Cataclysm so much as an expansion as it seems the focus was on the new 1-60 experience, but pretty much a relaunch of the game. I wouldn't go so far as to call it WoW 2, but for the most part you can almost call it that...WoW 1.5? If you look at it from the view of say starting a new Worgen or Goblin and going all the way to 85, then yeah I would say it's a great expac. If you are a one-toon player though or don't care to start over, then yeah I can see the issue with game.
__________________
Gamertag/PSN/Steam: DimsumX
dimsumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsumx View Post
My view on it is that I don't see Cataclysm so much as an expansion as it seems the focus was on the new 1-60 experience, but pretty much a relaunch of the game. I wouldn't go so far as to call it WoW 2, but for the most part you can almost call it that...WoW 1.5? If you look at it from the view of say starting a new Worgen or Goblin and going all the way to 85, then yeah I would say it's a great expac. If you are a one-toon player though or don't care to start over, then yeah I can see the issue with game.
The majority of WoW-players focus on max-level content. Our alts are for farming, trade skills, bank space and diversions while we wait for our guild run. It has been this way since Vanilla, and designing an expansion for the player who keeps rolling alts seems like Blizzard is ignoring its install base.

Note:
I haven't raided yet
I have not tested Archeology yet
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate
 
pwnophobia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 6,114
Blog Entries: 10
WOTLK sucked giant donkey balls. It was/is a terrible expansion.
__________________
- - - -
Listen to me on the Trinity Force podcast!
pwnophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,185
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
The majority of WoW-players focus on max-level content.
Obviously, that isn't true since with each expansion pack Blizzard keeps releasing new races for people to start over from LvL 1.

The "majority" of WoW players probably focus mostly on playing the beginning content from each race, which is the bulk of the new content Blizzard releases.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
Wolfgang
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnophobia View Post
WOTLK sucked giant donkey balls. It was/is a terrible expansion.
Agreed. I hate how many time sinks WoW has built in. Like Daylies where the quest starts in Zone A, but you have to fly to Zone X to complete it and then back to Zone A. That is just there to waste time and it gets old real quick and is the primary reason I quit.

Yes I realize I don't have to do them, but I wanted the phat l00t and it wasted so much of my time do it I got feed up.
__________________
Now Playing: DCUO (PC)
Pre-Ordered: Destiny(PS4), Sunset Overdrive, Halo Collection
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Obviously, that isn't true since with each expansion pack Blizzard keeps releasing new races for people to start over from LvL 1.

The "majority" of WoW players probably focus mostly on playing the beginning content from each race, which is the bulk of the new content Blizzard releases.
The death knights disagree. The time it takes to complete the BELF, Draenei, Goblin and Worgen zones is infinitesimal compared to the options at max. Heck, they have decreased the XP needs for leveling (And added ways of increasing XP-earnings) with each expansion. The bulk of content in WoW has been at the end of the game, not the middle or beginning, since midway through Vanilla. Hence why Cataclysm is odd.
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #18
josteos
Reaper
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 175
The biggest problem with cataclysm is that I got my main to 85 in two weeks, without even going to the Twilight Highlands or Hyjal. And I'm not a lifer.....

I love the battlegrounds, but hate waiting 15+min in a queue. I love the idea of the WG/TB events, but hate waiting 2 hours. I hate raiding. And I'm not patient enough to level another character.

I received a 60-day gift card for xmas, and once it's done I'm pretty sure I'm done with WoW till the next expansion.

Did love the Vashjir zone, tho. Except I wanna use my seahorse everywhere!
josteos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead
 
Orphiuchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Posts: 3,944
I like most of Cataclysm personally, the added difficulty is welcome as is the updated 1-60 content, but there is one thing that has basically stopped me from playing anymore; the fucking heroics take too long. Fucking heroic deadmines takes like 3 hours. I don't have 3 hours. For this reason I'm not playing at all at the moment.
__________________
USMC
Orphiuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead
 
Orphiuchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Posts: 3,944
Also, this mod looks amazing and I hope it goes far.
__________________
USMC
Orphiuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
world of starcraft

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 AM.