5 Replies, 274 Views
PC Gaming Alive and...
Last post by Anenome
Yesterday 10:24 PM
124 Replies, 4,504 Views

Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #21
Grimorial
Soul Reaper

Glad to see you enjoyed it and rated it well. It seems like a good deal of people are not satisfied with this rendition at all. Sad really, I wish they could enjoy it like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by net7runner View Post
That SAID....the game is still more enjoyable for me than Civ IV is at this point. The hex system is wonderful, the new naval system is even better (archipelago maps are finally playable!!!), road spam is gone, expansionistic strategies now have real tradeoffs (say goodbye to getting new social policies), 3- or 4-city strategies can work now, etc. etc. Hopefully the first expansion will prop up diplomacy and the AI =\
Agreed!
Grimorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #22
Meusli
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimorial View Post
Glad to see you enjoyed it and rated it well. It seems like a good deal of people are not satisfied with this rendition at all. Sad really, I wish they could enjoy it like everyone else.
This is the worst Civ so far for me, but it's Civ so it's still massivly enjoyable. I would take this Civ game over most strategy/turnbased games anyday, but it pails in comparison to Civ4. I would like to see what the expansion they are working on is though.
Meusli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #23
revelation
Backlog Slut

I absolutely enjoyed my first play through of this but haven't gone back since. It actually felt far too long for me (something I unfortunately can't afford these days).

I've had to peg myself back to the terrific Civilization Revolution on the 360 for my fix of turn-based strategy.
revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #24
Bumbuliuz
Evil Dead

Great review and a great game, the review hits my points with the game.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #25
Nighthawk
Evil Dead

I would say that many of us who "aren't satisfied" are still having a good time with Civ 5. But the bar gets set pretty high when you have a series like this that has been so good for so long, and when you make a radical shift in the setup, there will be problems that all the QA in the world is going to miss. Just because I'm not blowing sunshine up its ass doesn't mean that I don't like it. Its good, but it could be better. Hoping that patches and expansions will remedy this problem. Otherwise I'm sure the mod community will.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #26
Grimorial
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
This is the worst Civ so far for me, but it's Civ so it's still massivly enjoyable. I would take this Civ game over most strategy/turnbased games anyday, but it pails in comparison to Civ4. I would like to see what the expansion they are working on is though.
So are you comparing it to Vanilla Civ4 or Civ4 with all the bells and whistles? An important question. I have been seeing people make this unfair comparison. Must be a vanilla-to-vanilla comparison. I honestly only played Civ4 with no expansion. I don't feel like there's a giant rift between the two. If you aren't comparing it as so then I understand.

Last edited by Grimorial; 10-09-2010 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Grimorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
Syl
Evil Dead

The Civ IV expansions added a LOT to that game, and that's mostly what i feel is missing from Civ V.

That said, for the first time in all of my time playing Civ games - I actually enjoy the combat for once!
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #28
ElPresidente
Evil Dead

Civ V is a better game than Civ IV no doubt but is it a better game than Civ IV plus Beyond the Sword? I don't think so.

The Civ IV + BtS combo is the ultimate Civ experience at the moment. Civ V has the same potential but it needs a BtS style expansion pronto!

Writer for the Australian gaming magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper.

Oi! Someone done stole my pink!
ElPresidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #29
corwiniii
Reaper

I played Civ IV for maybe 5 or 6 times through. I like it a lot. I like Civ V a lot too, but I don't see a dramatic difference between the two. There are small differences that are great, but it's not a revolutionary new game. I'm sure once I get used to Civ V I'll like it as much or more, but so far on this first play through it's not as dramatic a change as I was expecting.
corwiniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2k games, civilization 5, firaxis, review, sid meier