Star Citizen - Arena...
Last post by GunnSgtHartman
Today 04:48 PM
32 Replies, 1,959 Views

Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate

Evil Avatar's Indie Garage - Role Playing Games

Welcome to Evil Avatar's Indie Garage, a fortnightly (or when pwnophobia gets around to posting it ) article written by jigsawhc, owner of XBLA & XBLIG Ratings, detailing the Microsoft Indie Games that you should be playing.

Quote:
Role Playing Games are one of the smaller sections in the Indie Games portion of Xbox Live, but there are still some great titles to be found there. While not as lengthy as their retail counterparts they still pack a lot of content into a small package, and with a lower price to match. If you are looking for a role playing game that is going to be fun but not take a month to complete then here are a few to consider.
Click the headline to read the full article!
pwnophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate

Hey folks, jigsawhc from XBLA & XBLIG Ratings here. Iím going to be breaking down some of the best Xbox Live Indie Games every couple weeks.

Current Addictions

Role Playing Games are one of the smaller sections in the Indie Games portion of Xbox Live, but there are still some great titles to be found there. While not as lengthy as their retail counterparts they still pack a lot of content into a small package, and with a lower price to match. If you are looking for a role playing game that is going to be fun but not take a month to complete then here are a few to consider.

Quote:
Breath of Death VII
Price: $1 / 80 Microsoft Points (try the demo)

This parody RPG plays out in a retro style with classic 8 bit mechanics. The game is about 5 hours long but with multiple difficulties so there is some replay value for the $1 price. The combat system was fairly strait forward but with a lot of combos and attack variety to keep things interesting. What makes Breath of Death VII stand out is the humor. Both in the dialog and in the general game world itself. I found the game to be difficult towards the end but I was still enjoying playing it because it was so funny.

Quote:
Aphelion
Price: $3 / 240 Microsoft Points (try the demo)

This SciFi role playing game features turn based combat with deep game mechanics. There are ability trees, crafting and combos yet they game is simple enough for gamers new to this style of role playing game. The 5 to 6 hours main story of the game has a NewGame+ option once you complete it the first time. It is nice to play a game where the developers clearly wanted both new and experience games to enjoy themselves.

Quote:
Soulcaster
Price: $3 / 240 Microsoft Points (try the demo)

I should probably mention right up front this is as much a strategy game as it is a role playing game. I classify it as an RPG because it looks like one visually and because you do get to earn money to upgrade your characters. The game play of the battles is much more a strategy game though. No matter how you want to label it Soulcaster is a lot of fun. The game play focuses on using your three characters abilities to defeat all the enemies in each section of the map. The majority of the game is spent fighting with some leveling and purchasing between sections mostly. I completed it on Normal in about an hour and a half but Hard difficulty took much longer.

Quote:
Light's End
Price: $1 / 80 Microsoft Points (try the demo)

While playing most role playing games you control one person or maybe a small party, but in Light's End you can take control of any character in the game world. The game is very narrative driven as you play through the evolving story line. I found the ability to take control of different characters to be an interesting way to play an RPG since it was quite different than the RPGs I normally play. It was almost like playing through a short story instead of reading it.
pwnophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Did I see some flash in there? I'll let it slide this time....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
spdiscus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnophobia View Post
fortnightly (or when pwnophobia gets around to posting it )
That's perfect. I tend to crave things fortnightly. Mostly fried chicken.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

BoD7 is fantastic and at $1 is an absolute steal. Everyone that ever loved the old school Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior games should have this one in their 360's games list.
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indie garage