Last post by Demo_Boy
Today 03:47 PM
3 Replies, 584 Views
» Promotion

Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
modeps
Get busy living.

Get WET With a Demo

The demo for Bethesda's WET is now available on Xbox Live Marketplace with some seriously awesome descriptor text. Its only available for Gold subscribers.

Quote:
Download the demo.
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Froggy
Developer

I am cautiously optimistic.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Earth Djinn
Evil Dead

Awesome, I really want to see how this plays.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
DarkestHour00
Subscriber

Blah. I was looking forward to this but just finished the demo and it's not very good. Controls aren't tight enough and it really brings nothing new to the table nor does it improve whats been on the table for years.
DarkestHour00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestHour00 View Post
Blah. I was looking forward to this but just finished the demo and it's not very good. Controls aren't tight enough and it really brings nothing new to the table nor does it improve whats been on the table for years.
Don't you ruin this for me.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Valkyrist
Evil Dead

I'm confused:

A demo's purpose is to help sell the game, or at the very least, build hype.

Is that a wrong assumption? Cause I keep seeing things like "only for gold members" or "for fileplanet subscribers" with recent demos. It just seems like a really dumb idea to purposfully limit the pool of potential buyers. Or has it changed to something like "demos are rewards for people who already have given us money"?

Not that I care about this one in particular: I don't even own a 360.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Phinor
Evil Dead

I've been quietly waiting for a demo of this. So here's my quick take on the demo:

I'm getting too old for these games. Or rather, this game is too hard for me. I tried the big scene after the tutorials few times but I just get my ass handed to me, literally. Maybe it's the gamepad or something. I generally think myself as pretty decent in fps games but that's on a PC. Anyway the demo was quite decent I suppose. The general style worked for me but I expect half of the people trying it to hate it, maybe with passion. The swordplay is a bit too simple but at least it clears crowds very efficiently.

Oh well, I did like Stranglehold and finished it in few weeks, but I'll pass this one. At least until it comes to PC (never). Decent but not mind shattering on any level.
Phinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Froggy
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrist View Post
I'm confused:

Is that a wrong assumption? Cause I keep seeing things like "only for gold members" or "for fileplanet subscribers" with recent demos. It just seems like a really dumb idea to purposfully limit the pool of potential buyers. Or has it changed to something like "demos are rewards for people who already have given us money"?

I still agree. This was my cry not long ago, but then I got gold, so uh... Yay for me!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
Capn Crunch
Soul Reaper

I absolutely loved this demo. It showed off a ton of different gameplay and it introduced you to the different mechanics very smoothly. I admit I didn't make the game look as awesome as the trailers, but I'll get there. I look at it like Tony Hawk, when you first start a TH game you think "There are no lines here at all!" By the middle or end of the game you're doing crazy combos all over the levels without a second thought. That's how I predict this game will be.

I was smiling every minute of the demo and I can't wait to get good enough to play Ruby like the badass she is.
Capn Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
revelation
Backlog Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrist View Post
I'm confused:

I agree with you.

It's unbelievable to think that you'd pre-order Champions Online, want to participate in the open beta and be forced to download it from FilePlanet.

Want to get it at a reasonable speed? Pay for membership! It's idiotic.

Actually, the whole pay it to try it thing is pretty stupid when you think about it too. Bah.
revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
modeps
Get busy living.

In response to the gold only comment, typically demos are gold only for about a week then they're opened up. It's Microsoft's attempt to add more value to being a gold member. Not saying I agree, but its not just for those who pay.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
modeps
Get busy living.

Tried the demo out and was very underwhelmed. Felt like a poor man's Stranglehold (and I didn't care too much for stranglehold). Basically, they took Max Payne's dive everywhere gameplay + bullet time, made it infinite, and threw a craptastic "film grain" filter on that tries to emulate a grindhouse film.

None of it looks particularly interesting.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
ElPresidente
Evil Dead

Agreed 100% modeps.

The only thing I will say is that the art style when everything goes red, black and white looks amazing.

But that doesn't save this horribly mediocre demo. Will be missing this one.

Writer for the Australian gaming magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper.

Oi! Someone done stole my pink!
ElPresidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 AM   #14
saulob
Subscriber

And... no PC version
saulob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #15
bickle
Reaper

I thought it was pretty crappy at first. But I decided to play on and finish the demo. It gave a number of small sections highlighting different aspects of the games and different play styles. For example, a QTE section that was simplistic but fun and over-the-top at the same time, and a sword combat section in a heavily stylized red and black section. A more open ended combat section was thown in for good measure.

I still think the game has flaws, but I ended up getting used to the controls and found the game to have a lot of charisma, despite some annoying concerns. I'll definitely check it out when it's released.
bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #16
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestHour00 View Post
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG!

Wet is an amazing tongue-in-cheek ode to stylized movie violence (in particular Kill Bill) that melds fun gameplay, amazing animations/graphics, and the most kickass game soundtrack I've ever heard in a demo. Unless prejudices prevent you from liking stylized movie gun-and-sword play, then my guess is that you'll love this demo as much as I do.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeps View Post
In response to the gold only comment, typically demos are gold only for about a week then they're opened up. It's Microsoft's attempt to add more value to being a gold member. Not saying I agree, but its not just for those who pay.
It also throttles bandwidth a bit. Some huge game demos used to make Xbox Live cough and splutter as literally hundreds of thousands of users were all getting on at once to download Gigs of data. This has mostly been improved by the service (and the internet backbone) being built up, but limiting demos to Gold members for a week helps too.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #18
Scramble
Evil Dead

I played this today, and while it wasn't anything new (what is these days, let's face it) I did have a bit of fun with it. The controls certainly took a little while to get used to, but with time, you'll be doing some mad shit without thinking about it. I loved the bit where it went red, white and black, that looked sweet. I won't be buying it straight away, but I hope to play it some time in the future.
R.I.P Xbox 360#1. 6/9/07

PS3 Network:Pocklegreuse
Scramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
ElPresidente
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG!

Wet is an amazing tongue-in-cheek ode to stylized movie violence (in particular Kill Bill) that melds fun gameplay, amazing animations/graphics, and the most kickass game soundtrack I've ever heard in a demo. Unless prejudices prevent you from liking stylized movie gun-and-sword play, then my guess is that you'll love this demo as much as I do.
The aesthetic is great but it can't hide the horribly inaccurate controls and overall sloppy design.

Writer for the Australian gaming magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper.

Oi! Someone done stole my pink!
ElPresidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPresidente View Post
The aesthetic is great but it can't hide the horribly inaccurate controls and overall sloppy design.
Wha? I felt the controls were very accurate. In no time I was jumping/sliding/and wall-running in a cinematic dance of death, and I EXPECT that I'll eventually become ridiculously good at it as I play more.

You aren't one I associate with random bitching. What do you mean by inaccurate controls exactly?