Final Fantasy Type-0 HD...
Last post by TafJaf
Today 11:24 AM
10 Replies, 812 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
lost
Like a Dungeon Dragon

UFC Banning Fighters Who Defect to EA Game?

We'll put the magical rumor question mark on this one even though this seems entirely likely. The new UFC game has been a huge hit selling more than a million copies pretty sharpish. However, E3 saw the announcement (met with groans at this particular laptop) that EA would be developing EA MMA as a new franchise.

Dana White and the rest of the management at Zuffa/UFC haven't taken very kindly to assumed attempts to lure their fighters away from THQ's title and will be banning any defectors from fighting for them.

Quote:
This disheartening bit of news first came from Golden Boy at the UG

"I hear that all mma managers were informed that if any of their clients not currently under contract with the UFC..... sign to be a part of the EA game.......the will forever be banned for fighting in the UFC."

Sounds like a simple rumor right? Albeit from a pretty reputable source, but then later in the forum post, MMA Uber agent Ken Pavia of MMAAgents.com says this.

"It's true. And they told me want the word out."
From Bloody Elbow via VoodooExtreme.

They've done stuff like this before when new promotions have sprung up. I can't blame them to be honest - they've worked hard to build up fighters as stars.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
kiranos
Knight

no cant blame them, but its getting close to what microsoft is getting in trouble by. they are almost forcing monopoly of mma = ufc, I wonder how long it will take until someone sues them.

What do you guys think?
kiranos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
PopoWRX
Oghren's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranos View Post
no cant blame them, but its getting close to what microsoft is getting in trouble by. they are almost forcing monopoly of mma = ufc, I wonder how long it will take until someone sues them.

What do you guys think?
They certainly are strong-arming their fighters/competitors. Didn't UFC recently fire one of their fighters for refusing to turn over image rights for life to them for Unleashed?

I usually like competition but consolidation to a few MMA major series would be nice, instead of having like, 100 world champions or something akin to that.

I just hope they can keep some of the politics at bay and do best-vs-best fights, though it seems like some of it is creeping in (Machida waiting awhile for his title chance due to a perceived "boring" style).
PopoWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Venkman
Evil Dead

Does anyone wonder why people who beat the shit out of each other for a living might use strong arm business tactics?
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate

Dana White is an asshole.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Mattism
Evil Dead

I have no problem with it. If the NFL & their players association can prohibit their players from being in another game then it is fine for the UFC to say their fighters can only do UFC approved games.

Now Playing:
PC: CoH Opposing Fronts
Mattism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
kiranos
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattism View Post
I have no problem with it. If the NFL & their players association can prohibit their players from being in another game then it is fine for the UFC to say their fighters can only do UFC approved games.
This is not the case from what I understand, they are saying that if a fighter, any fighter from any organization signs up for EA MMA they will be banned from ever fighting in the UFC.
kiranos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
This is not the case from what I understand, they are saying that if a fighter, any fighter from any organization signs up for EA MMA they will be banned from ever fighting in the UFC.
So? That's like putting on your resume that you developed nuclear weapons for north korea and expecting to find a job in the US. I'm glad the UFC is being clear about it up front instead of hiring the talent in and having alot of drama firing them when they find out later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Mattism
Evil Dead

Quote:
Now that would just be silly. I guess if that want to roll that way then yes there is a problem with that. I dont care what they say to their own fighters but to not give someone that shot cause they were in the EA game before getting into the UFC is silly. Cuase they probable did not have the chance to be in the UFC game. Besides if Fedor were to sign up for the EA game and then ask to fight in the UFC there would be no way they would ban him from fighting.

Now Playing:
PC: CoH Opposing Fronts
Mattism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
see colon
Evil Dead

There isn't anything permanent in regards to being banned from the UFC. There are plenty of fighters who have had issues with upper management, been let go and come back a few years later (Trigg, Ortiz, Couture, Penn, K. Shamrock, and for 24 hours Fitch).

All this is is them drawing a line in the sand and saying "look, if you go over there we aren't going to let you come over here", but it doesn't mean anything. Each fighter will be treated as a special case depending on his marketability and talent. Couture already has a contract with EA, and he's still in the UFC. At one point Dana White said Kimbo Slice would never fight in the UFC, and look what happened there.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
blackzc
Evil Dead

Ultimate fighting is trash. No care
Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Fubl
Evil Dead

Yeah zuffa will make its money no matter what. The fighters will make their money no matter what its not like UFC is the only horse in the race just the most popular....
ITs becomeing like boxing to many groups though....
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
ScottBravesFan
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by see colon View Post
There isn't anything permanent in regards to being banned from the UFC. There are plenty of fighters who have had issues with upper management, been let go and come back a few years later (Trigg, Ortiz, Couture, Penn, K. Shamrock, and for 24 hours Fitch).

All this is is them drawing a line in the sand and saying "look, if you go over there we aren't going to let you come over here", but it doesn't mean anything. Each fighter will be treated as a special case depending on his marketability and talent. Couture already has a contract with EA, and he's still in the UFC. At one point Dana White said Kimbo Slice would never fight in the UFC, and look what happened there.

Ask Matt Lindland about being banned from the UFC all because he wore a shirt that was not approved by the UFC. Frank Shamrock is another guy who is banned from the UFC. But you are partially right because if the UFC feels that a fighter can make them some money they have let them back in like BJ and Tito. The Couture thing is pretty interesting because he signed on with EA while he and Zuffa were suing each other and he was in the Red Alert game. Kind of sucked that he was not in the UFC Unleashed game. The Fitch thing was the biggest thing were they were going to cut him for not signing over his rights, that was way over the line and ridiculous on Zuffa's part.

As for Kimbo Dana said that he would have to go through TUF to be on the UFC and Kimbo did step up. No way he's going to win the show Roy Nielson is another fighter on the show he used to be the IFL heavyweight champ. He'll destroy Kimbo. That psycho Wes Simms is going to be on the show as well he would probably beat Kimbo as well.
ScottBravesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
ScottBravesFan
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Ultimate fighting is trash. No care

If the UFC is trash then why post in a thread about it? idiot
ScottBravesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBravesFan View Post
If the UFC is trash then why post in a thread about it? idiot
Because i think its trash and i want people to know what i think. duh
Old 07-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBravesFan View Post
Ask Matt Lindland about being banned from the UFC all because he wore a shirt that was not approved by the UFC. Frank Shamrock is another guy who is banned from the UFC. But you are partially right because if the UFC feels that a fighter can make them some money they have let them back in like BJ and Tito. The Couture thing is pretty interesting because he signed on with EA while he and Zuffa were suing each other and he was in the Red Alert game. Kind of sucked that he was not in the UFC Unleashed game. The Fitch thing was the biggest thing were they were going to cut him for not signing over his rights, that was way over the line and ridiculous on Zuffa's part.

As for Kimbo Dana said that he would have to go through TUF to be on the UFC and Kimbo did step up. No way he's going to win the show Roy Nielson is another fighter on the show he used to be the IFL heavyweight champ. He'll destroy Kimbo. That psycho Wes Simms is going to be on the show as well he would probably beat Kimbo as well.
Frank Shamrock left the UFC on his own accord, and could probably have worked his way back in if he had wanted to, but there was little motivation for him to do so. He's content fighting big fights in Stikeforce, being a big fish in a little pond. Lindland did get expelled for violating a non-compete clause (wearing a T-Shirt advertising another event), and he may never fight in the UFC because of it. Lindland is a special case, though, because I don't think he'll ever admit when he is wrong, or apologize for something he doesn't believe he has to apologize for. It takes 2 parties to make amends, and neither seams overly interested in doing so.

Dana's opinion of Kimbo went from "He'd get killed in the UFC, look what happened to Gannon" to "He should go on TUF and work his way through like everyone else" pretty quickly, and not long after "Seth the TUF reject KO'd Kimbo with a jab, he'd get killed in the UFC".

Randy's main issue with the UFC over the years has been over the rights to his image. He hasn't ever been in a UFC videogame, dispite the fact that he has fought almost exclusively for them (excluding a handfull of fights in Rings) since 1997. His contract is much different than other fighters in that he retains the rights to his image.