Last post by MusicToEat
Today 03:53 PM
28 Replies, 2,378 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
bean19
Butt Stallion

Fight Night Round 4 = No Face-Button Mapping

In the category of news I missed that has come back and slapped me in the face, evidently the developers of Fight Night Round 4 chose to make it impossible to map punches to the controller's face buttons, and have stated that they may offer it later as downloadable content.

This begs the question, is it more of a dick move to sell useless horse armor or to force customers to pay a premium for control schemes that do not suck?

Quote:
[IGN]: Is there an option for face button controls?

Brian Hayes: No, there is no option for face button punching in the final version, but we are investigating providing the option via DLC.
Source: IGN
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
DCJoeDog
Soul Reaper

A new low has been reached, and surprise, surprise, EA is behind it.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Emabulator
iBlood Donor

It sounds to me like Brian is saying 'what we mean by final version is the shit we shoveled on the disk. Keep paying and eventually you'll get the final, final version. But don't worry, when you get your ass knocked out at least you'll look good in your genuine Everlast trunks and shoes complete with Nike's logo.' Lame.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
lost
Like a Dungeon Dragon

I'm skipping it anyway. Regardless of positive reviews the demo was horrendous. The trunks all moved like they were made of air and the fighters have become jelly-men.

I see no reason why I'd leave UFC in its box. It is a goliath of a fighting game and I love it to my very core.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Jukey
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
This begs the question, is it more of a dick move to sell useless horse armor or to force customers to pay a premium for control schemes that do not suck?
The second one. As you say, the horse armor was useless. Selling it wasn't "a dick move" at all.
Jukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
ElfShotTheFood
Evil Dead

Where did he say it'll cost money?
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
ascl
Developer

Why would they do this? It seems insane? From a technical point of view, what difference does it make what buttons are assigned to what?

If this is a money grab, its extremely poor form!
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Mr.Green
Always greener

Why the fuck would you want to play Fight Night with buttons in the first place?
Mr.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
hatred
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green View Post
Why the fuck would you want to play Fight Night with buttons in the first place?
Because, that's how I played the last one.
hatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green View Post
The reason I like it is because I like to perform combinations with the buttons and save my right-analog for haymakers and blocking. The inaccuracy of the "total control" makes me feel like I'm not in control at all.

For me, this makes this game absolutely unplayable.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Earth Djinn
Evil Dead

People are getting WAY too upset in here. For a while now, Fight Night has been promoted as being better with the stick control, as the whole gamer is built around that system. Obviously they chose not to include alternate means, but I take his comment to mean that they would be willing to consider it if and when enough of the community ask for it.

I doubt it would be paid DLC and its stupid to assume it will be and instantly start screaming like internet fanboys. I mean, Emabulators quote is just exceedingly bitter, and I honestly don't know why.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Pluvious
Evil Dead

I think he would have used the term "patch" instead of DLC if they didn't intend to charge money for it. But this would be the ultimate scummy thing to do, charging for a control scheme!? ALL games should allow you to remap the controls to whatever buttons you want. This would be an outrage and I doubt even EA would be stupid enough to try this.
Pluvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Djinn View Post
People are getting WAY too upset in here. For a while now, Fight Night has been promoted as being better with the stick control, as the whole gamer is built around that system. Obviously they chose not to include alternate means, but I take his comment to mean that they would be willing to consider it if and when enough of the community ask for it.
This game has fans who enjoy playing it WITH face buttons but find it unplayably bad with just the "total control" analog stick.

After the demo was released, fans have said that they hate the game when forced to use the face buttons. Their response to this is that they MIGHT make the game playable with DLC.

It's possible that they'd do this just as a patch, but if they were doing that then they'd probably have mentioned this and an ETA. DLC implies that it will be sold as content later on to extend the life of the product (which is the purpose of DLC).

Last edited by bean19; 06-27-2009 at 02:17 PM..
Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
Mr.Green
Always greener

That's weird. The intuitive analog controls are the appeal of this game to me. Otherwise you might as well go play fucking Punch Out. Oh well...
Mr.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Valkyrist
Evil Dead

I have 0% intrest in this game, but to answer the question:
Quote:
Buttons.

Horse armor was just a REALLY retarded gimmic to snag ppl's money. The buttons are something that should have been in the game outta the box.

That's all assuming button-mapping will cost any money. If it's a free download at a later date, then all this adds up to is a bonehead move.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
Chaos Machine
Banned

to me, mapping face buttons to punches in fight night is like mapping moves to buttons in streetfighter or tekken, it was stupid of them to mention it could be saved later for dlc and instead should have took the stance that we want everyone to be on an equal playing field in regards to control schemes.
Chaos Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #17
donkeydrop
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfShotTheFood View Post
Where did he say it'll cost money?
What he said.

The face buttons are already mapped to various actions anyway, so what's the point. Can I has analog control plz?
donkeydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
donkeydrop
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Machine View Post
to me, mapping face buttons to punches in fight night is like mapping moves to buttons in streetfighter or tekken,
We have these things called analog sticks now, two of them on every controller, and FNR4 is designed to work with them. Why compare to two games designed to be played with a single 8-direction d-pad?
donkeydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Machine View Post
to me, mapping face buttons to punches in fight night is like mapping moves to buttons in streetfighter or tekken, it was stupid of them to mention it could be saved later for dlc and instead should have took the stance that we want everyone to be on an equal playing field in regards to control schemes.
What?

Look, to jab you simply flick the analog stick up and left or up and right. I CAN do it on the analog stick, but setting up a combo feels retarded and unintuitive. Why should I have to do that?

Besides, making sure that every player is equally handicapped by unintuitive controls is ludicrous. In Street Fighter, the basic buttons are mapped to kicks and punches that are meaningful and you are only doing weird things with the analog controller to pull off special attacks. That is a bad analogy. They've basically thrown the face buttons away and forced players to use their crappy analog stick. Second, the idea that everyone must lumber under the same unintuitive controls to be fair is itself an indictment of the controls. Finally, the only place that such an "even playing field" would be necessary is in multiplayer which could have been locked into unintuitive "total control" without making the rest of the game unplayable for much of the player base.

Edit: Added more of my problems with this analogy.

Last edited by bean19; 06-27-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Old 06-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
the Jack
Evil Dead

Wait, you could use the face buttons in Fight Night Round 3?
the Jack is offline   Reply With Quote