Last post by Anenome
Today 12:01 PM
2 Replies, 375 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
karaokequeen3
Death Knight

New Achievements Revealed for TF2

After a bit of a wait, German fansite TeamFortress2.de has revealed the new achievements for Team Fortress 2 that Valve announced towards the end of 2007

The full list of 36 new achievements

I'm kinda curious about the idea of a "counter charge". Thoughts?
karaokequeen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
51|RandoM
Banned

Kind of lame, most of them are "I was there" achievements.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
MasterEvilAce
Evil Dead

None of them really exciting... they're all too micro-specific, and too much of a variation on one another, if that makes any sense. Healing while on fire, healing a teammate while they're falling...

Meh
MasterEvilAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Thumper
Silly Rabbit

So, wait. Are they going to release an "achievement pack" for each class? Why the focus on medics?

And I'm assuming these are just for the PC version? Don't you get points for 360 achievements? Maybe these are 0-point achievements?
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Lon Lon Rabbit
bunnies LOL

I will have 90% of these in a day.

Wish they were a bit more difficult, one or two cool situational ones but so many standard ones I'll probably get half of them in my first game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnadian
So, wait. Are they going to release an "achievement pack" for each class? Why the focus on medics?
This is the first achievement update of many, should be one for each class eventually. Hope we get a generic update too.
Lon Lon Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Worldcrafter
Cunning Stunt Bonus

Sounds like you could change to the Medic class, play a normal game, and get a handful of achievements. I don't know, I prefer achievements for skilled play instead of simply playing the game. Makes em more meaningful.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
morose
chown -r us ./urbase

As someone who loves playing Medic, I think it's great. YMMV.

Seriously... how many of the old ones were "yep, I just happened to be on a team that rolled the other one SO badly..." type of deals? At least there are some goofy ones in here along with the normal ones.
morose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Karmakin
Nothing's like before

They're trying to encourage more players to play Medic. It's a good idea, to be honest.

XBL--Karmakin
Karmakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Lon Lon Rabbit
bunnies LOL

I suppose at least if they're this easy the matches of 50% medics shouldn't last too long...
Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Vyzov
Waaagh!

A "Change to Medic" Achievement?

Half that list is a joke. I think some will be a bit tough to get, kill a scout with the needle gun? That could be a bit difficult.

Assist kill against a Nemesis could be quite difficult for me, I rarely have one. Usually only when I'm messing around, like trying to melee Heavy's that have a medic to death....
Vyzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
karaokequeen3
Death Knight

Hit and miss - would argue something like killing a Spy with the bandsaw is quite easy. And as for the needle gun - fires fast enough to constantly attack a Scout with comparatively little health?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
Thumper
Silly Rabbit

Whoo! I just switched to medic, heard a heavy calling for help and healed him while he was on fire and jumping off a platform. I then continued to heal him for a couple minutes (and then a couple more) wherein he got a shit-ton of kills, my nemesis amongst them, and I wound up at the top of the leaderboard!

[Achievement Unlocked!]
[Achievement Unlocked!]
[Achievement Unlocked!]
[Achievement Unlocked!]
[Achievement Unlocked!]
[Achievement Unlocked!]
[Achievement Unlocked!]
[Achievement Unlocked!]
[Achievement Unlocked!]

Like you guys have said, if you're feeling particularly spry you could get the majority of this list in one game. Heck, the first time you play medic it'll be difficult not to get a handful of them.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
zipR
Still here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnadian View Post
Heck, the first time you play medic it'll be difficult not to get a handful of them.
It surprises me how few people play medics -- it can be one of the most fun and satisfying positions in the whole game, especially if you pair with someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
mos
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipR View Post
It surprises me how few people play medics -- it can be one of the most fun and satisfying positions in the whole game, especially if you pair with someone who knows what they're doing.
I've tried, and I fall squarely in the opposite camp. It's just not fun for me to stand just out of sight with my finger on the trigger, either waiting for a better healing target, or waiting for my current one to die.

Then again, I prefer to be right up close in the thick of the fighting. I'm a pyro at heart.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Syl
Evil Dead

In a single game I can probably get the vast majority of these.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
Ink Asylum
I don't blame you.

Sure, most of these will be easy to get, but at the very least they look designed to draw more people to try the Medic for a little while, and to try some new things with a Medic besides just sticking behind a Heavy. For people who aren't veteran Medics, they'll be encouraged to try to get some kills, to heal different classes, and even some more advanced Medic tactics, like juggling an uber, which not many people would think to try.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
Lon Lon Rabbit
bunnies LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
I've tried, and I fall squarely in the opposite camp. It's just not fun for me to stand just out of sight with my finger on the trigger, either waiting for a better healing target, or waiting for my current one to die.

Then again, I prefer to be right up close in the thick of the fighting. I'm a pyro at heart.
I'm a bit of an aggro medic and never sit still out of sight healing constantly. It's hilarious how often rushing in with the syringe gun or bonesaw can take people off guard who expected you to be retreating and you can still come out on top. Depending on the situation, I also often push forward, not back, when my meat shield dies, as many times I can finish off the people that just killed him.

I think I probably die a fair bit more than I should, but I have a lot of fun and get my hands dirty often.

Some might argue being aggro is being a bad medic, as if I retreat I could heal more people, but I'm certain that sometimes when I push and finish off that key sentry or heavy that would have otherwise run to a health pack, that I have helped the team more even if I die right after, rather than pulling back and heal slaving and getting nowhere.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Rogue_hunter
Schwag King of PAX

aggro medic 4 lyfe, yo!

still, most of these would probably be earned in a day, or even in a single game, especially if it's Thursday. (hey, isn't that TODAY? if these went live in the typical Thursday patch today...), and alot are of the "i was there" variety, you just have to be there to get them. killing a scout shouldn't be too hard with the syringe, hell, it's possible to kill a level 3 sentry gun from a distance by arcing the syringe darts.

but i'm still patiently awaiting the medic t-shirt
Rogue_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #19
Wackman3000
Magic PC Since 2003!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon Lon Rabbit View Post
I'm a bit of an aggro medic and never sit still out of sight healing constantly. It's hilarious how often rushing in with the syringe gun or bonesaw can take people off guard who expected you to be retreating and you can still come out on top. Depending on the situation, I also often push forward, not back, when my meat shield dies, as many times I can finish off the people that just killed him.
And that is why you are an awesome medic. I've started using my bonesaw alot more and have noticed that it really does work wonders.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
51|RandoM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
There is a lot more to the medic class than that, a LOT more. That "lot more" is what separates the good medics from the relatively worthless ones.

I've only played 3 or 4 hours of medic and I have figured that out. I supposed getting it beat into the back of my skull with a bonesaw periodically reinforces my opinion.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote