Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Homeworld: Shipbreakers Jettisons F2P (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197972)

randir14 09-09-2013 11:11 PM

Homeworld: Shipbreakers Jettisons F2P

Good news for you Homeworld fans that were put off by Homeworld: Shipbreakers' business model. Randy Pitchford tweeted that the game is no longer free to play, and will see a commercial release.

Steve_Erhardt 09-09-2013 11:24 PM

Thank fuck.

Mr. Lake 09-10-2013 02:25 AM

Well that's a shame, now I'll probably never play it.

TzunSu 09-10-2013 02:42 AM

Thank god for small mercies.

Smicer 09-10-2013 03:03 AM

Great news!

Apex 09-10-2013 04:07 AM

Perhaps they should show more of the game, as its been in development for quite a while, before telling people they now have to pay for it?

Tolgar 09-10-2013 04:28 AM

Good, F2P is gaming cancer.

Demo_Boy 09-10-2013 05:39 AM

I think it is a good development, for this game.

BeardedSonOfNel 09-10-2013 06:11 AM

I may buy the game just to support the non-F2P model.

F2P can DIAF!

Grandpappy 09-10-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex (Post 2244350)
Perhaps they should show more of the game, as its been in development for quite a while, before telling people they now have to pay for it?

I agree. It always feels a little slimy to me that companies want to let you know how you can pay them for something they haven't shown you.

bean19 09-10-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolgar (Post 2244351)
Good, F2P is gaming cancer.

There's just no fighting this impression evidently. One bad apple like Mechwarrior Online or some terrible Eastern MMO and it spoils this whole model for people - even people who happen to love League of Legends or one of the numerous F2P MMOs that are excellent.

Karai Pantsu 09-10-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean19 (Post 2244363)
There's just no fighting this impression evidently. One bad apple like Mechwarrior Online or some terrible Eastern MMO and it spoils this whole model for people - even people who happen to love League of Legends or one of the numerous F2P MMOs that are excellent.

F2P is fine when done right (i.e. cosmetic changes and boosters), but F2P and P2W are very very close cousins, bordering on incest, and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Look at World of Tanks. Shit is fun as hell, but without spending a small fortune on golden ammo, you'll never be competitive or even able to play at an enjoyable level.

I just don't see a way to make a F2P RTS game work without being pay to win, unless it's got some kind of RPG-style leveling system that you can apply purchasable boosters to.

rubbishfoo 09-10-2013 06:41 AM

I dunno... I actually have a lot of fun with MWO. 4 of us get together on Saturday nights & just roll - Course... 3/4 of us go back to the MW2 days & the tabletop game.

I will say that their sight is fairly narrow w/ it... but the core of what they put together is a blast imo.

So far, I'm really enjoying the F2P models that are out there.

sai tyrus 09-10-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karai Pantsu (Post 2244365)
F2P is fine when done right (i.e. cosmetic changes and boosters), but F2P and P2W are very very close cousins, bordering on incest, and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Look at World of Tanks. Shit is fun as hell, but without spending a small fortune on golden ammo, you'll never be competitive or even able to play at an enjoyable level.

I just don't see a way to make a F2P RTS game work without being pay to win, unless it's got some kind of RPG-style leveling system that you can apply purchasable boosters to.

Path of Exile is a great F2P title. Not P2W as far as I can see. Then of course there's TF2 and DOTA2.

brandonjclark 09-10-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karai Pantsu (Post 2244365)
but F2P and P2W are very very close cousins, bordering on incest, and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Cue Rommel......

RocketMagnet 09-10-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Lake (Post 2244341)
Well that's a shame, now I'll probably never play it.

Personally I think this is a fantastic move. Your a developer and I suppose F2P can be very profitable but the downside in my experience is the game is designed around the F2P model and not around what's F2P (FUN to play).

I can't think of a single example where the F2P induced features improve the gameplay, anything outside pointless cosmetic changes negatively impact without exception.

Evil_SPanKY 09-10-2013 10:28 AM

Hooray, I will actually play this game now. Friends don't let friends play F2P games...

Hagetaka 09-10-2013 11:11 AM

League of Legends, Tera Online, and to some extent Guild Wars 2 (kind of a hybrid).

Each of those are F2P online games that I have played and enjoyed. There are other example. Remember: F2P doesn't guarentee failure. Just as Pay to Play doesn't guarentee success. I've played plenty of games that I paid for and wished I hadn't.

brandonjclark 09-10-2013 11:48 AM

Did I miss the free version of GW2? Daaaang!

MasterKwan 09-10-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

I think F2P is great. I've only ever given one money, Tribes but, I've tried a bunch. They've both saved me money on buying things I didn't like and given me many hours of fun.

Quote:

I've played plenty of games that I paid for and wished I hadn't.
Which is essentially where I am.