Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weekend Boxoffice Chart (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197924)

Evil Avatar 09-09-2013 08:56 AM

Weekend Boxoffice Chart

Riddick is seeing the light at the box office, the sci-fi thriller starring Vin Diesel as an intergalactic criminal with built-in night vision debuted in first place with an $18.7 million weekend take.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of September 6th to September 8th, 2013.
  1. Riddick $18.6/$18.61
  2. Lee Daniels' The Butler $8.9/$91.9
  3. Instructions Not Included $8.1/$20.3
  4. We're the Millers $7.9/$123.8
  5. Planes $4.2/$79.2
  6. One Direction: This is Us $4.1/$23.9
  7. Elysium $3.1/$85.0
  8. Blue Jasmine $2.6/$25.4
  9. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters $2.5/$59.8
  10. The World's End $2.3/$21.7
  11. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones $2.2/$27.8
  12. Getaway $2.1/$8.6

Venkman 09-09-2013 09:01 AM

I saw it this weekend in one of those theaters that has big plush lazy boy style chairs. I had fun with it... but I couldn't help thinking how it would have made a great video game.

Rommel 09-09-2013 09:09 AM

I finally saw Monsters University, fantastic and funny. Not as unique as the first, as it follows a very basic 80s college-movie plot (A contest will change policy!) but almost as good.

sai tyrus 09-09-2013 12:01 PM

Those aren't good numbers for a Riddick sequel. I wonder what the worldwide stats are.

Wizzkidd 09-09-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sai tyrus (Post 2244155)
Those aren't good numbers for a Riddick sequel. I wonder what the worldwide stats are.

Universal predicted it would make 18-20 mill this weekend, so although it's not amazing, apparently it's what they expected.

Box Office Mojo shows it made about 7 million overseas, so it looks like it only opened in one or two countries so far.

It only cost 38 million to make, so they'll make their money back plus some, but I don't think it really gives Universal a lot of confidence for a sequel. Though they'll turn a profit without even advertising it much.

vallor 09-09-2013 12:08 PM

I hear Vinny has a lot of skin in the game with Riddick. I hope a failure here doesn't ruin his chances for Fast and the Furious 124.

Mazzicc 09-09-2013 02:25 PM

World's End was enjoyable, but definitely the weakest of the "trilogy". Great one-liners, fun action, confusing wrap-up. If you're not anxious to see it, or a huge Pegg/Frost fan, I'd say wait for later.

I'm torn on Riddick. It's taken me multiple viewings to enjoy the other movies, so I don't want to go see this in theaters and not enjoy it, but I've also ended up *really* liking the other movies, so...
What I'm most curious about is the comparisons people are drawing to Pitch Black. In my experience, people on the internet, including here, are full of shit and just spout off whatever the popular sentiment is. I'm not sure if it's *actually* that similar, or if there are just a couple similar points so people are going "zomgitsthesame".

Nothing out that I want to see and haven't. The new Ender's Game preview with World's End was pretty good. There was another preview I saw in there that I liked, but I forgot what the movie was (not coming out for a while).

Zane 09-09-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazzicc (Post 2244203)
World's End was enjoyable, but definitely the weakest of the "trilogy". Great one-liners, fun action, confusing wrap-up. If you're not anxious to see it, or a huge Pegg/Frost fan, I'd say wait for later.

I found the first half to be boring and the movie overall to not be very funny at all, especially compared to his previous movies. I was confused at all the good reviews it's gotten.