Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Boy and His Dog - Impressions of Riddick (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197879)

sai tyrus 09-08-2013 11:27 AM

A Boy and His Dog - Impressions of Riddick

Quote:

Riddick's latest outing is forgettable at best. More a retelling of the original Pitch Black, this one's worth a rental. If you're a die-hard fan of the character, there is some goodness to be found - but barely.
Full write-up here.

Anenome 09-08-2013 12:25 PM

Yep, gave this one a pass based on trailers.

What I wanted was them taking Riddick character to the next level. Not knocking him back to stage one again.

We should've seen a relationship between him and the girl from #2, or perhaps finding an actual Furian woman to restart the Furian race with, amongst the Necromongers, just like he found that one Furian dude in #2.

Hell if they were really thinking, the Furian dude in 2 could've been a woman instead and had left genetic samples behind for him to clone a true Furian woman or something like that. Jack could've bore him a pure Furian-blooded kid thereby or w/e, lol. Maybe that's going too far.

Anyway, then we should've seen fallout from the whole Necro deposing of #2, and then we'd need a new plot element. Probably a new antagonist, one designed to take on the Necros and arriving just in time to ruin Riddick's day.

But what does he really want, if not to find his own people? And controlling the Necro fleet would be the perfect way to do that. He's investigating their records of destroyed Furian territory--they've hunted them for the longest time. If he escaped, surely others did too.

He had those dreams with his mother, he's got to find that planet.

Etc., etc.

The whole franchise has been destroyed by #3 unfortunately when it could've become so much more. But the writers weren't up to the task. It's a script that would take a couple years to develop, and they wanted to just cash in :\

Steve_Erhardt 09-08-2013 12:46 PM

Jack/Kira died in 2, though. Plus, Riddick and Jack/Kira, echh... That's a little creepy/Percy (To me it seemed like more ofa father/daughter relationship).

As for myself, I enjoyed it a lot. Yeah, kind of a re-hash of the first one, no argument there, but like Riddick said, they were resetting the clock. Hopefully if this did well enough and we get more, it'll be the same brand of Riddick and a story that moves forward again without the Necromonger-type misstep.

Anenome 09-08-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_Erhardt (Post 2243864)
Jack/Kira died in 2, though. Plus, Riddick and Jack/Kira, echh... That's a little creepy/Percy (To me it seemed like more ofa father/daughter relationship).

As for myself, I enjoyed it a lot. Yeah, kind of a re-hash of the first one, no argument there, but like Riddick said, they were resetting the clock. Hopefully if this did well enough and we get more, it'll be the same brand of Riddick and a story that moves forward again without the Necromonger-type misstep.

Bah, we're at exact odds.

What Riddick needed was an antagonist worthy of his prowess. That's what they were to him, and probably why they didn't continue that thread with 3.

CSargeP 09-08-2013 01:21 PM

I don't get the hate, I thought it was perfect that they went back to the first movies style. I liked it a lot and I'll be getting it on blu-ray when it comes out.

Maybe we'll get a new Riddick game as well?

Hellstorm 09-08-2013 01:35 PM

There is this concept of efficiency in storytelling. This movie doesn't know what that is. Dull scenes go on for too long and there are far too many of them. The one-liners are over used and always fell flat and Twohy keeps trying to overwrite everyone being a bad ass. And Pitch Black came out decade ago and no one in theater got the whole Johns plot point because of the shit job of recapping. This movie relied too much on knowledge of the past films, which Cameron so rightly put shouldn't be the main thrust of any sequel.

The bike scene at the end was pointless, slow, and dull. They just should have cut to the node confrontation sequence and nothing would have been lost.

Dull, dull, dull. This killed the franchise. Twohy is a good writer and director and I suspect that one day, with some effort, he will be that good writer and director again. But he's got to move on from this mess he's made--from what was once an interesting character to one that is just a dull one that never progresses.

But you get to Starbucks boobs for a good bit.

Terran 09-08-2013 01:44 PM

A boy and his dog, eh?

Good thing Riddick's not Korean.

보신탕

sai tyrus 09-08-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2243892)
Good thing Riddick's not Korean.

보신탕

Nice. Yeah, kind of an inside joke. That dog-like creature in the image above is his pet for the first half of the movie.

Also, Hellstorm nailed it with his sentiments.

automaton 09-08-2013 01:57 PM

I enjoyed the movie very much but it did have problems. The first 30 minutes where Riddick is alone on the planet is absolutely perfect. It's when the merc show up that things go a little awry. I agree completely with Hellstorm's criticisms. The movie could have been much better if the would have cut out 15-20 minutes of the machismo. It goes on for far too long and the movie is worse for it. I recommend the movie overall and did ultimately enjoyed it, I just think a better editor could have tightened the story up and left me less annoyed.

Wizzkidd 09-08-2013 03:35 PM

Ha, I posted this last night in the weekly releases thread after watching it:

Quote:

Riddick was way better than I expected. I was thinking it would be cool enough, I liked Pitch Black and Chronicles was okay-ish because Karl Urban FTW, but holy shit. Riddick was awesome from start to finish.

It was basically 3 parts:
1. Dances with Riddick
2. Chronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butcher Bay
3. Pitch Black 2

This was my type of movie.
I had a smile on my face the whole time while watching it. It was just pure rated R fun. The Santana character was hilarious, the crowd kept laughing and clapping throughout.

Good times.

excalibur1814 09-08-2013 03:56 PM

Not a bad film at all in all honesty and although he didn't have the CASH TO MAKE THE NEXT COR film at least we has this one that furthers the story. The next one will probably get back on track.

Either way there's been crappier summer blockbusters this year than this.

mjarbo 09-08-2013 04:40 PM

I've seen this twice now. The first time was a bit rough because I had different expectations based on my knowledge of the expanded universe (and being a big fan) of Riddick.

The film's second viewing was a lot better and allowed me to focus on the little things, and what I didn't see (or glossed over) during the first view.

drakkarim 09-08-2013 08:59 PM

just saw it last night. enjoyed it, but yeah, probably the weakest of the bunch. Kira played her role pretty nicely though i think, she was a good addition to the movie.

drakkarim 09-08-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automaton (Post 2243895)
I enjoyed the movie very much but it did have problems. The first 30 minutes where Riddick is alone on the planet is absolutely perfect. It's when the merc show up that things go a little awry. I agree completely with Hellstorm's criticisms. The movie could have been much better if the would have cut out 15-20 minutes of the machismo. It goes on for far too long and the movie is worse for it. I recommend the movie overall and did ultimately enjoyed it, I just think a better editor could have tightened the story up and left me less annoyed.

i'm the opposite, i thought the first 30 solo minutes were a little too 'Lassie' for me. i preferred the rest of the movie where Riddick did what he does best.

lockwoodx 09-08-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjarbo (Post 2243921)
I've seen this twice now. The first time was a bit rough because I had different expectations based on my knowledge of the expanded universe (and being a big fan) of Riddick.

The film's second viewing was a lot better and allowed me to focus on the little things, and what I didn't see (or glossed over) during the first view.

The same could be said for Starship Troopers.

DeadPixel 09-08-2013 10:50 PM

I enjoyed it, especially the first half of it. The second half had some really bad dialog and acting was very stiff, but I liked this more than the 2nd movie. I wish they would focus more on Riddick.

sai tyrus 09-09-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakkarim (Post 2243968)
i'm the opposite, i thought the first 30 solo minutes were a little too 'Lassie' for me. i preferred the rest of the movie where Riddick did what he does best.

I agree. The first half was a bit too long. I enjoyed it for the most part. Once Riddick started stalking the mercs, it got pretty fun.

morose 09-10-2013 08:17 AM

This movie needs a director's cut right out of the gate that shortens it by about 15-20 minutes and concentrates things. And for gods sake change the exchange at the end to something that just happens via video over communication devices instead of that ridiculousness. Whoever approved the story board for that should be ashamed. Probably the biggest issue I had though?

Spoiler:
I know Riddick is male power fantasy, but Dahl (who is otherwise a pretty badass character) changing her sexual preference at Riddick's suggestion? It undermined her character, made Riddick look like a d-bag for suggesting it, and just plain made me uncomfortable. I was embarrassed on behalf of the writer for that one. YMMV.
/end spoiler

sai tyrus 09-10-2013 08:29 AM

I agree with all your points morose, particularly the last bit you mentioned. Was VERY confused at that one. lol.