Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   We Have 6 to 8 New IPs in the Works, Says EA (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197867)

Emabulator 09-07-2013 05:10 PM

We Have 6 to 8 New IPs in the Works, Says EA

Patrick Soderlund from EA Games told MCV that the publisher has "six to eight completely new IPs in the works."

Quote:

The firm’s current line-up includes sequels to The Sims, Need for Speed, Battlefield and FIFA. Titanfall is the only new IP on the publisher’s roster.

But EA Games chief Patrick Soderlund told MCV that EA is working on new ideas, and points to Star Wars and Mirror’s Edge 2 as proof the firm is still willing to take risks on new ideas.

“We are working on a new Mirror’s Edge game, and although that’s not a new IP, it is a revival done in a new way. We are developing Star Wars Battlefront, which to us is a new IP, even though it isn’t technically,” he said.

“We have six to eight completely new IPs in the works. The day we stop making new IP is when we go onto life support. We need to incubate new ideas and push creative boundaries.”

bean19 09-07-2013 05:24 PM

I'm not bothered. It's good for EA that they are doing new IPs - even if they are new IPs we haven't heard about (other than Titanfall), because if you look at the big games on the horizon, there are plenty of new IPs that look great: Watchdogs, The Division, Destiny, EA's Titanfall, Beyond: Two Souls (and more). Also, I don't mind existing IPs that see a lot of innovation. . . I'm really excited about Ass Flag, inFamous, and GTA 5 (PC) too.

Also, what I want out of EA is Dragon Age: Inquisition and the next Mass Effect. There next most exciting games is probably Battlefield 4 (also an existing IP). If you have great IPs that you are innovating on, then do that.

wildcard 09-07-2013 06:45 PM

While I like new ideas, sometimes I would prefer they take an existing ip in a new direction. How about a 4x Mass Effect game? It helps stops them becoming to stale(cod)

Capt_Thad 09-07-2013 07:13 PM

Wonder if they mean like 6-8 new AAA IP's or if they're including stuff like what Popcap would be producing? heh Wonder if they have a MOBA in the works too, since those are 'all the rage'.

lockwoodx 09-07-2013 07:32 PM

6 to 8 new different colored endings.

bean19 09-07-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt_Thad (Post 2243625)
Wonder if they mean like 6-8 new AAA IP's or if they're including stuff like what Popcap would be producing? heh Wonder if they have a MOBA in the works too, since those are 'all the rage'.

I was thinking cellphone/Ipad marketing games.

Anenome 09-07-2013 07:50 PM

And in the grand ritual of EA, 5 of these will be sacrificed on the altar to Satan and the remaining three turned into dairy cows.

gawaintheblind 09-07-2013 07:51 PM

“We have six to eight completely new IPs in the works. The day we stop making new IP is when we go onto life support."

This just in: EA went on life support in 2008.

Emabulator 09-07-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt_Thad (Post 2243625)

Patrick Soderlund is with the EA Games division. Hopefully he was talking about EA Games, and not Electronic Arts overall.

bean19 09-07-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gawaintheblind (Post 2243641)
This just in: EA went on life support in 2008.

Here are the new IPs since 2008 (the last 5 years) from Electronic Arts. This excludes ANY pre-existing IP so movie games and spin-offs of game IPs like Battlefield Heroes are also not included. These are the only pure new IPs in EA's recent history. For brevity's sake, I've also excluded a handful of vaporware handheld/browser/cellphone titles (any hits on handhelds will be included but "Fantasy Safari" and "Road Trippin'" titles will be skipped).

Mass Effect (the first one was 2008)
Army of Two
Boom Blox
Rock Band
Spore
Dead Space

Grand Slam Tennis
Battlefield
Dragon Age
The Saboteur

APB
Deathspank
Shank
Mirror's Edge

Spare Parts
Bulletstorm
The Fancy Pants Adventures
Gatling Gears
Star Wars: The Old Republic (KOTOR existed already, but counting it due to MASSIVE change in the game's scope).

NFL Blitz
Kingdoms of Amalur
Warp
Syndicate (revival of ancient PC title, so not a completely new IP but still a risk.)

Fuse
Titanfall (not yet released)

Source

Analysis: It's not so much that Electronic Arts is opposed to taking risks as that they focus heavily on their existing game studios instead of acquiring new ones. If you have a group that makes mega-hits like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Sims, and Battlefield 3, you don't put them to work on new projects. At the same time, Electronic Arts doesn't seem to feel any need to grow by taking risks by acquiring additional development studios. They have their stable of AAA studios and some cheap ancillary appendages that make cheap vapor-ware browser/cellphone/handheld trash for easy money. That's all they seem interested in, and maybe that's okay. They are already the biggest publisher in gaming and often are so big that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so I think this works.

gawaintheblind 09-07-2013 09:06 PM

ha ha! you got me, Bean! I was trying to be funny, but you definitely showed me what the fuck was up.

Capt_Thad 09-07-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emabulator (Post 2243652)
Patrick Soderlund is with the EA Games division. Hopefully he was talking about EA Games, and not Electronic Arts overall.

ah Good call, I should've caught that. heh Still doesn't rule out another throwaway MOBA though.

bean19 09-07-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gawaintheblind (Post 2243678)
ha ha! you got me, Bean! I was trying to be funny, but you definitely showed me what the fuck was up.

Oh, I think you made a good point. They do love to make sequels, but I have to say that the quality is there with a lot of their IPs. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Battlefield, Dead Space, The Sims, Burnout, all the EA Sports titles, and now Titanfall are all really strong IPs that sell multiple millions of copies. They may be victims of their own success really because any company that owns one of those IPs has to keep a AAA team developing sequels for that IP or they are throwing money away. That means that EA has a stable of over 10 really talented AAA developers who are all tied the fuck up with successful IPs. The only way they can grow a new team is to buy completely new ones or leach the experience from their existing teams. It's definitely the kind of problem that a publisher is happy to have.

At the same time, that guy has a point. Eventually these IPs will get stale and if they want to continue to grow, they need to keep creating fresh ones. That means they need to figure it out and get some new studios opened. Maybe they need to do an internal Project Greenlight where mid-level design leads and producers pitch their ideas and the best idea gets that group promoted to head a new studio built to make that project. . . or whatever. Point is, they need to figure it out since they only have two new IPs this year. Fuse was a dud and Titanfall is a sure win, but only two new IPs for a whole year?

Suicidal ShiZuru 09-07-2013 11:10 PM

http://i.imgur.com/jRvloKW.png

BeachGaara 09-08-2013 12:26 AM

That article was basically:

We have tonnes of new IPs like Mirror's Edge 2 and Battlefront!

These count because we decided they count.

EA doesn't do new IPs.

They did, for one fleeting moment, then realised they can just grind out sequels and still make money and it was back to business as usual.

Azzy 09-08-2013 02:06 AM

.. and not a single fuck was given.

RocketMagnet 09-08-2013 07:04 AM

Wow they actually don't know exactly how many new IPs they are working on :) .

Pluvious 09-08-2013 10:00 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps73437186.jpg

Anenome 09-08-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluvious (Post 2243830)

Lol, sad but true ^_^

Why is this, do we think? Is it because large organizations simply lose touch? Is it because they focus on the bottom line rather than what's fun?

Is it because committees suck at deciding things, or the dynamics change that make them inherently more conservative, leading to safe milquetoast decisions over and over?

I think so.

BeachGaara 09-08-2013 08:00 PM

It's because they focus on the bottom line, which leads to committees who suck and this in turn leads to the companies getting out of touch.