Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Xbox One's First TV Ad Features No Games (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197796)

Ozena 09-06-2013 04:09 AM

Xbox One's First TV Ad Features No Games
 


Gamasutra is reporting that they've spotted the first TV ad for Microsoft's new console - and it doesn't feature any gameplay. Well, not video games at least.

Quote:

We all know that Microsoft has big plans for its video game lineup on Xbox One, and the first TV ad for the console is all about games football games. Not Madden. Actual NFL football games on TV that feature footage of real-life people.
They go on to say it's appropriate since the NFL season starts soon, but if I'm gonna buy an Xbone (I'm not), it's to play Halo, not watch TV.

Jhooud 09-06-2013 08:27 AM

I still don't get how they settled on this particular strategy...but okay then. Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes.

oldjadedgamer 09-06-2013 08:41 AM

What stupid anti-gaming company would launch a system where they had TV ads without showing any games? Obviously, a company who didn't care about gaming of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyFrekxy7wg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kfbbxMji0A

Evil Avatar 09-06-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhooud (Post 2243267)
I still don't get how they settled on this particular strategy...but okay then. Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes.

Statistics. They look at how many people are using Netflix every day and the bean counters think that means that what most people are using the system for is TV.

They forget that TV isn't why you buy the system in the first place.

oldjadedgamer 09-06-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2243271)
Statistics. They look at how many people are using Netflix every day and the bean counters think that means that what most people are using the system for is TV.

They forget that TV isn't why you buy the system in the first place.

You forget that the majority of PS3 launch owners bought the system because it was the cheapest Blu-ray player. Blu-ray movies for the TV. Also, I would think that would be Sony's approach as the PS3 was rated the #1 device that people were watching Netflix on that isn't a computer.

excalibur1814 09-06-2013 09:06 AM

The kids know what the Xbox one is... They just do. It's time to get the ADULTS onboard.

Oh wait... anything that MS does automatically just gets beaten down... :(

Wolfgang 09-06-2013 09:15 AM

Gamers don't watch TV so I don't see the issue :) /sarcasm

But seriously this is an ad to air with football games with the kick off of football season. Shocking. They probably should have added some text like "And Plays the Best Games -- Launches 11/22/2013"

I don't see people complaining that the iPhone, Galaxy and Lumia ads fail to show people making phone calls.

It is the Xbox -- of course it is has games. Just like the iPhone of course makes phone calls (I don't see everyone bitching about the iPhone camera or iPhone music ads -- that only feature taking pictures or music). As it nears they will start to show off the big named games.

The Xbox One will be the center of my entertainment. It will be the first thing turned on when I get home "Xbox On" and will always be on when I am home -- watching TV, playing games, etc.... The PS4 will only be on when I want to play the PS4. Otherwise the PS4 will be turned off. That is why I am more excited for my X1 than the PS4. The X1 will change my home entertainment and hopefully improve it. The PS4 will be more of the same (I am getting both btw)

LoTECH 09-06-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2243275)
The kids know what the Xbox one is... They just do. It's time to get the ADULTS onboard.

Oh wait... anything that MS does automatically just gets beaten down... :(

This.

Why is this an even an article? Did we cover the "mistakes" made by the PS4's first commercial? Of course not. The contributors to EvAv haven't caught up with the rest of the Internet on how hating the Xbox One was soooo 2 months ago.
Every single article written has negative language/slant (even the ones with news that is impossible to be angry about). This site's Xbox One coverage is pathetic and lame, reaking of fanboyism, and ludicrously out-of-touch with reality. I would link to each one of the articles(ranging from the hilariously paranoid "Kinect Spying on You", to the just plain biased) but I am on my phone, and sort of lazy.
I would stop coming to the site altogether, but I like the community members. I also don't care that much, other than be mildly irked every time I make my way to the front page to read the "news".
It may seem trivial, but it reflects poorly on the site as a whole. I wouldn't direct my gamer friends to this site because of it. My gamer friends play all the systems, and although EVERYONE disagreed with where MS was heading originally, everyone with half a brain recognizes the changes they've made for the better.
Either way, it'll be an interesting hardware generation. And not nearly as lopsided as this site would have you believe.

BytorUK 09-06-2013 09:41 AM

I love streaming Netflix through my 360 and use it for that purpose almost every night so the new Xbox One's TV capability is almost as important to me as playing games on it.

WE live in the world of home entertainment systems and not games machines.

bean19 09-06-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2243271)
Statistics. They look at how many people are using Netflix every day and the bean counters think that means that what most people are using the system for is TV. They forget that TV isn't why you buy the system in the first place.

It's hard to imagine that anyone at Microsoft could be this out of touch - accept that they seem to be fairly consistent in making their choices this way even after it's proven disastrous - their design choices, the focus of their reveal, and now their marketing campaign.

bean19 09-06-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BytorUK (Post 2243285)
I love streaming Netflix through my 360 and use it for that purpose almost every night so the new Xbox One's TV capability is almost as important to me as playing games on it.

That's interesting because most people disagree, and I'll explain why.

Don't get me wrong. Intelligent TV is actually a neat feature and it would absolutely be a feather in the X1's cap accept that they are focusing on it. That's scary to consumers because it's like a car salesman trying to sell you on the cup holder. If someone markets to me like I'm an idiot mark, then I'm going to resent it and suspect that they are up to something.

ElektroDragon 09-06-2013 09:56 AM

But they've gotta try and sell it to idiot jocks who think video games are uncool! LOTS of sports types think video games are stupid or uncool, like my next door neighbor. Funny I'm 36 and raving about video games and he's like 22 and like "yeah, whatever". I was wearing a Seattle Sounders shirt with the Xbox 360 logo on it, and he asked me if I was a Sounders fan. Effing LOL!

Wolfgang 09-06-2013 10:21 AM

Every device we own except for the home console works this way like the Xbox One will work.

Your smartphone, tablet, PC, etc.. can effortlessly switch between Youtube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Game and Facebook. Your 360, PS3 and PS4 cannot.

Microsoft with the Xbox One saw this. They know people don't want a device that only does one thing. The Xbox One was designed to allow for fast app switching, gaming, TV, etc... you know -- how we actually use these things.

As proven by the PS3 being the #1 Netflix player in the US -- people use these for way more than gaming even though people around the internet like to pretend otherwise.

My typical night. Come home, turn on the TV for news or sports. Watch a show on DVR or Netflix while eating dinner. Walk the dog. Might do some stuff online, watch another show and then maybe play games. In that scenario the Xbox One is always on and is always part of my entertainment -- and I might actually play more games since now even though I am watching TV I will get a notification when a friend is online and doing something.

With my PS4. It will only get turned on when I want to use it for gaming (even though yes it can do Netflix, etc...)

Recent Xbox One interview: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...-of-consumers/
snip:
Quote:

"Absolutely true story, one of my favorite stories," Penello told Ars during a recent interview. "People want to know, 'Why did you do this? What was the impetus to go to an all-digital system?' And everybody remembers this scenario: when we did the original Kinect take-home... and we were testing for different homes, different lighting conditions, the beta take-home had all of the Kinect games available to be played off the hard drive. One of the number one pieces of feedback for the take-home—remember, we were testing facial recognition, voice recognition, lighting, gestures—the number one piece of feedback: 'Why can't all my games be played off my hard drive like this?'"

"It really sat with the team," Penello continued. "Once we were able to actually just launch from game to game to game without having to get up and put in a disc—do it right from sitting down at your couch—we were like, 'Holy crap, putting in discs sucks.' No one ever believes me when I tell this story, but that was absolutely the genesis of the whole thing—how can we have a system now where I have my whole game library just sitting on the console, so I [can] switch between games as easy as I switch between apps on my phone."

Korialstrazs 09-06-2013 10:28 AM

Maybe its just because I don't waste time on tv that I find all of these tv features such a waste of time....

Roc Ingersol 09-06-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean19 (Post 2243289)
That's scary to consumers because it's like a car salesman trying to sell you on the cup holder.

I think it's more along the lines of Microsoft:Porsche. Porsche used to make sports cars. Exclusively. Even if not every thing they rolled out was a resounding success, they were very well respected in their niche.

But they wanted more. They saw what their fans were actually doing with their cars. What they were buying. How they justified buying somewhat sporty vehicles from other manufacturers instead.

So here come the 4-door and SUV porsches. They still rolled out some press pandering 'performance!' to the enthusiasts, even while pitching soccer moms on their city mileage and safety features. Enthusiasts recoiled and they even elicited a few meaningless press statements about how dedicated Porsche still was to proper sports cars and the driving experience.

But they built those things for a reason. They spent a lot of money on it. They weighed whether or not the enthusiasts would abandon the company altogether. And they went ahead anyway.

So when they rolled out their first ads prominently featuring child seats and soccer practice -- even after those press statements to the enthusiasts -- anyone who was surprised has only marked themselves as "out of touch".

oldjadedgamer 09-06-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korialstrazs (Post 2243303)
Maybe its just because I don't waste time on tv that I find all of these tv features such a waste of time....

Look at the PS3, the only reason it survived it's first year is because of TV features.

Hagetaka 09-06-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 2243277)
But seriously this is an ad to air with football games with the kick off of football season. Shocking.

/End thread.

People who play games already know that the Xbox plays games. They already know when it comes out. And they (mostly) already know if the want it or not. The idea here is to sneak a gaming console into a non-gamers house. Finding ways to sell old tricks to new dogs is smart advertising.

AspectVoid 09-06-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 2243301)
Your smartphone, tablet, PC, etc.. can effortlessly switch between Youtube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Game and Facebook. Your 360, PS3 and PS4 cannot.

Your argument would carry more weight if you didn't blatantly lie. PS4 does fast switching and multitasking also. They showed it used a half dozen times in their UI video going between game, store, and internet applications. Its just that the PS4 has so much going for it they don't have to market it like Microsoft does.

SaintBlitzkrieg 09-06-2013 11:17 AM

I love how everyone is so out of touch. You do know that MSoft signed an exclusive deal with the NFL, and what I saw was a shared ad between... THE NFL AND MSOFT during the NFL KICKOFF!!!

God damn, get off the hate train already. You know you like it.

Evil Avatar 09-06-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg (Post 2243316)
I love how everyone is so out of touch. You do know that MSoft signed an exclusive deal with the NFL, and what I saw was a shared ad between... THE NFL AND MSOFT during the NFL KICKOFF!!!

God damn, get off the hate train already. You know you like it.

And what does that have to do with games or gaming? MS fail.

That's throwing away money on something 99.9% of Xbox owners will never use.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.